Should I remap???

So next on the list I'm thinking is a stage 1 remap ... please don't see this as I want to go faster everywhere on 2 wheels and next il be putting a bonnet bra and smoked lights on my baby cuz that ain't happening... my car is standard (cosmetically) and its staying that way I'm just merely looking for a little more poke when needed and hopefully even better mpg.. would you guys recommend it ?? Do I need any mods to stage 1 ?? Where would you suggest getting it done?? I'm in Staffordshire... cheers 👍

Edited by Okvrsmk1

• Administrators

Highly, highly recommended! It’s how it should’ve left the factory, it’s that noticeable. 

Advice. It will show any weak links in the system, so budget for a new clutch and coil packs, as you’re putting more pressure on the engine. If you’re going to remap, do it properly too. Get a full custom dyno remap as it will be tailored to your car and give the best performance. Also choose your fuel and stick with it.

The torque gains are nice and give the ability to overtake without have to change down gear just to get past someone. No other mods are needed either. But do clean out the intercooler, as it maybe covered in crap.

• Like 1

Thanks for 

8 hours ago, Liverpool-Lad said:

Of course you should, you'll be wondering why you didnt do it sooner.  No mods required really.

More bhp did mine who are in Crewe but back in 2006/2007 came to me. 

Thanks for reply mate..

1 hour ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Highly, highly recommended! It’s how it should’ve left the factory, it’s that noticeable. 

Advice. It will show any weak links in the system, so budget for a new clutch and coil packs, as you’re putting more pressure on the engine. If you’re going to remap, do it properly too. Get a full custom dyno remap as it will be tailored to your car and give the best performance. Also choose your fuel and stick with it.

The torque gains are nice and give the ability to overtake without have to change down gear just to get past someone. No other mods are needed either. But do clean out the intercooler, as it maybe covered in crap.

Thanks Dean...  its had a new clutch less than 10k ago and I only use vpower even with this new e10 fuel coming in to play I won't be changing fuel... it all sounds great I just gotta find someone to do it now... there's a company called rtech near me thar have a good reputation with these engines.... they rolling road which I'm told is best route to go. ..only trouble is there's a 14 month waiting list !!

RTech have a great reputation, loads of experience with mk1s and other vag platform cars. many many many of the brisky mk1 vrs's have been through their workshop over the years. thats why theres a 14month waiting list :rofl:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Go see Niki at R-Tech… He won’t disappoint you. I just said the same in the other topic. And,  I’m planning to go see him sometime, but theres a long wait list, so I’ll be getting the Red one to stage one only and I need my Black one retuned at stage 2 to refine it.

• Like 1

I've came across your Instagram I'm sure.. its great to see someone else with the respect for the mk1 keeping them looking good.. yours look great and thanks for the heads up on rtech.. I really want it done now I just don't know if I can wait the 14 months 🤣

20 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Go see Niki at R-Tech… He won’t disappoint you. I just said the same in the other topic. And,  I’m planning to go see him sometime, but theres a long wait list, so I’ll be getting the Red one to stage one only and I need my Black one retuned at stage 2 to refine it.

Same as you, I would like to take my car back to R-Tech to have the Stage 2 map refined.  I've made changes since buying the car and despite it running really well at the moment, I'd like to know that it's operating as well as possible.  

As for the original question about remapping, I'd echo the general agreement that it's worth doing.  I know my car has had a lot of modifications and a lot of money spent on it but you don't need to do that, a good quality Stage 1 map will transform the car. When I had my original Mk1 from new back in 2006 I had a Stage 1 remap with no other engine modifications.  It ran absolutely fine for years so I'd say it's worth doing as the vRS is way too slow as standard.  

One word of caution though, I'd personally go with what Dean says and have a custom map done on a rolling road.  I went for the generic laptop map first time round and it cost me dearly.  The map might have been okay but my actuator wasn't so the turbo overspooled and destroyed itself.  I had to have a new turbo fitted which cost me around £1200 in total at the time - my £200 remap didn't look like such a bargain after that.  Lesson learned I went to RS Tuning in Leeds for a custom map and the car was spot on for many years.  

For the sake of another couple of hundred pounds on top of a generic map, I'd be much happier with a custom setup.

Edited by skinnyman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skinnyman said:

Same as you, I would like to take my car back to R-Tech to have the Stage 2 map refined.  I've made changes since buying the car and despite it running really well at the moment, I'd like to know that it's operating as well as possible.  

As for the original question about remapping, I'd echo the general agreement that it's worth doing.  I know my car has had a lot of modifications and a lot of money spent on it but you don't need to do that, a good quality Stage 1 map will transform the car. When I had my original Mk1 from new back in 2006 I had a Stage 1 remap with no other engine modifications.  It ran absolutely fine for years so I'd say it's worth doing as the vRS is way too slow as standard.  

One word of caution though, I'd personally go with what Dean says and have a custom map done on a rolling road.  I went for the generic laptop map first time round and it cost me dearly.  The map might have been okay but my actuator wasn't so the turbo overspooled and destroyed itself.  I had to have a new turbo fitted which cost me around £1200 in total at the time - my £200 remap didn't look like such a bargain after that.  Lesson learned I went to RS Tuning in Leeds for a custom map and the car was spot on for many years.  

For the sake of another couple of hundred pounds on top of a generic map, I'd be much happier with a custom setup.

Thank you for advice... I will deffo be getting it done on a rolling road... hoping I can find a reputable company sooner or I might just be joining the long list of people waiting for rtech.. gonna be a looooooong 14 months.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly bit off topic but also on topic at the same time...

I've had 20vt's in the past, none have been standard (stage 1) and whenever you planted it, you got a proper shove in the rear, especially on my old 20vt mk2 with a k03s, however, ive just got my occy vrs, i love it, but i feel somewhat underwhelmed when i put my foot down? like, is that the power delivery is just THAT linear theres almost nothing to notice of the increase in speed bar the speedo? or do i have something wrong with mine ? lol

I'm trying to work out whether theres a boost leak and im down on power or that these cars are just genuinely that linear with their power delivery and to get that shove i'll need to get it mapped..? 

Please help lol

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Endoof said:

Slightly bit off topic but also on topic at the same time...

I've had 20vt's in the past, none have been standard (stage 1) and whenever you planted it, you got a proper shove in the rear, especially on my old 20vt mk2 with a k03s, however, ive just got my occy vrs, i love it, but i feel somewhat underwhelmed when i put my foot down? like, is that the power delivery is just THAT linear theres almost nothing to notice of the increase in speed bar the speedo? or do i have something wrong with mine ? lol

I'm trying to work out whether theres a boost leak and im down on power or that these cars are just genuinely that linear with their power delivery and to get that shove i'll need to get it mapped..? 

Please help lol

If it hasn’t been messed with, that what standard power feels like. When I went to stage 1 on my black VRS, the difference was shocking. Purely because of the amount of torque that was gained from a Shark Remap. I’ve since gone stage 2. But, I have a completely standard VRS and it’s almost painful to drive as there is no get up and go. It’s just like a you say, a linear power delivery). It’s that noticeable that even my PD130 feels quicker because I have more torque being a diesel. So I’m finding it more fun to drive.

My stage 2 on the other hand, is completely different, but there is still a limit on torque, which is around 300. My PD130 would get 280/300 ft-lbs from a stage 1 alone.

I never planned to get the Red one mapped. But I’ve since found out that it was previously mapped by Ben at Shark, but has since been removed and returned to stock due to the the last owner complaining of poor MPG. But, in the new year I plan to see Niki at R-Tech and just have a stage 1 on it.

• Like 2

I've had alot of cars... the last before the vrs being an fn2 type r and the vrs feels faster. I've never actually liked the feel of a turbo I've always preferred a naturally aspirated engine

1. Because you know what you are gonna get when you put your foot down and 2 because I just feel there more reliable (sometimes) 😂.  That being said the vrs seems to have a decent bit of poke and it's almost consistent!.. most of the time the turbo seems to be awake and i get that little push back in the seat especially in 2nd and other times it's just not there 🤷🏻‍♂️...it is standard at the moment but I will deffo be visiting rtech for a stage 1 as soon as they can get me in... I'm hoping that will help with the power delivery being more responsive and I'm looking forward to the torque people talk about. Congrats on your mk1 octavia purchase tho... I love mine... I've deffo got that connection with her that I just haven't had with some of my cars.

She's a keeper.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2021 at 12:14, Endoof said:

ive just got my occy vrs, i love it, but i feel somewhat underwhelmed when i put my foot down? like, is that the power delivery is just THAT linear theres almost nothing to notice of the increase in speed bar the speedo? or do i have something wrong with mine ? lol

I remember my first ever drive of a MK1 vRS.  I was selling my S14 200sx as we'd found out our first child was on the way & needed a bigger car.  I went to Harrogate to test a brand new vRS and drove over in the Nissan.  On the test drive, the salesman encouraged me to put my foot down on a stretch of dual carriageway and I genuinely thought the mat was stuck under the accelerator pedal due to the lack of get up and go.   I bought one anyway as I knew it could be remapped but it wasn't the rocket ship I had expected.  

As I got to know the car I learned how to get the best out of it but when the warranty ended I went straight out for a Stage 1 map and never looked back.  Now I have a Stage 2 car I don't think I could live with a standard vRS as it would just frustrate me every time I drove it.

On 14/09/2021 at 20:43, Okvrsmk1 said:

I've had alot of cars... the last before the vrs being an fn2 type r and the vrs feels faster. 

I love mine... I've deffo got that connection with her that I just haven't had with some of my cars.

She's a keeper.

My mate is into Hondas, he owns a DC2 Integra and his daily is an EP3.  When we compared the EP3 to a standard vRS (when both cars were new at the time and standard), the Skoda was definitely quicker than the EP3 in a straight line.  However, when we got to some corners it's game over for the Octavia on its standard suspension set up..

I also know what you mean about connecting with the car.  I've owned a lot of cars and this is definitely one that gets under your skin.  Surprisingly though, the other I would have back in a heartbeat is my Vectra VXR.  

Edited by skinnyman
  • Love it! 1

My mate has a vectra vxr and I really like it.. I wasn't a fan until one nite he had had a drink so he threw me the keys...it put a smile on my face... I don't understand the hate they get. I've had 2 ep3 type r's... the first being a Milano red one.. I bought it from Honda a year old... loved it!!.. drove it everywhere like a nutcase to get in to vtech took every corner on 3 wheels and it never let me down... I then bought a diesel audi a4 avant because I was doing a full tank a day with my job at the time...safe to say when my Job changed I bought another ep3... even then I used to see the octavia vrs and liked them but for some reason never got round to buying one... owning one now is a pleasure.. I don't know what it is but even now when I lock it I do the old lookback just to see it sitting there 😂... It cost me 2500 and I care about it more than any car I've owned.. it definitely gets under your skin!. I'm really looking forward to adding the stage 1 especially with how diffrient you say it feels. 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2021 at 10:57, Okvrsmk1 said:

My mate has a vectra vxr and I really like it.. I wasn't a fan until one nite he had had a drink so he threw me the keys...it put a smile on my face... I don't understand the hate they get. I've had 2 ep3 type r's... the first being a Milano red one.. I bought it from Honda a year old... loved it!!.. drove it everywhere like a nutcase to get in to vtech took every corner on 3 wheels and it never let me down... I then bought a diesel audi a4 avant because I was doing a full tank a day with my job at the time...safe to say when my Job changed I bought another ep3... even then I used to see the octavia vrs and liked them but for some reason never got round to buying one... owning one now is a pleasure.. I don't know what it is but even now when I lock it I do the old lookback just to see it sitting there 😂... It cost me 2500 and I care about it more than any car I've owned.. it definitely gets under your skin!. I'm really looking forward to adding the stage 1 especially with how diffrient you say it feels. 

If a remap to these makes it anywhere near as pokey as my 20vt Mk2 Golfs (had 2 with k03s' and one a k04) then i'll be happy, its the instant get up and go characteristic of the engine/small turbo set up, its lovely... does die out quite heavily up the top end mind but i suppose thats why alot of people who do the 20vt swaps into mk2's put a diesel 5 speed in it, longer ratios and makes it much much nicer to live with, thankfully its not a mod i have to look at now owning an octi 😂

• 1 year later...
On 18/09/2021 at 10:57, Okvrsmk1 said:

even then I used to see the octavia vrs and liked them but for some reason never got round to buying one... owning one now is a pleasure.. I don't know what it is but even now when I lock it I do the old lookback just to see it sitting there 😂... It cost me 2500 and I care about it more than any car I've owned.. it definitely gets under your skin!. I'm really looking forward to adding the stage 1 especially with how diffrient you say it feel

This. I'm going through this first flush of love feeling right now with my mk1 vrs. I haven't had decent car for ages, my audi a4 avnt 1.8 was nice but I didn't have enough money to improve it at the time. Before the vrs I had a nissan primera (which I personally like) but it got smashed up 3 times in a year when my missus used it too, so when I got out and looked back, it looked like it had been in Kherson for 6 months

• Love it! 1