Eco mode throttle blip

I've just noticed something, that is maybe/not a standard/documented feature??

You can force the car into ECO mode when coasting by blipping the gas pedal.

Has anyone else noticed this or already aware of it?  I can't quite work out why the car only goes into ECO mode sometimes, but itself, and not others.

I believe with ECO mode you mean the coasting function?

I've noticed this with my MY18 Golf. Sometimes it does not start coasting. Tap on the throttle engages the coasting again.

I believe it's just how its programmed. It thinks you dont want to coast, or some other restriction is stopping it from coasting.

Tapping the throttle tells the computers that you want to move, not slow down lets the car coast.

1 minute ago, timster said:

I believe with ECO mode you mean the coasting function?

I've noticed this with my MY18 Golf. Sometimes it does not start coasting. Tap on the throttle engages the coasting again.

I believe it's just how its programmed. It thinks you dont want to coast, or some other restriction is stopping it from coasting.

Tapping the throttle tells the computers that you want to move, not slow down lets the car coast.

I think you are right, it's the coasting function but when you blip the throttle the ECO light comes on.

4 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

I think you are right, it's the coasting function but when you blip the throttle the ECO light comes on.

Right. Just to make clear. ECO mode is a driving mode. Coasting is a function :) Coasting sets the gear to neutral and coasts with or without the engine. Depenging on the car.

For example in Golf the coasting function is only available when ECO driving mode is selected. I believe most new cars have the coasting function enabled all the time. At least MHEV's and Hybrids.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timster said:

Right. Just to make clear. ECO mode is a driving mode. Coasting is a function :) Coasting sets the gear to neutral and coasts with or without the engine. Depenging on the car.

For example in Golf the coasting function is only available when ECO driving mode is selected. I believe most new cars have the coasting function enabled all the time. At least MHEV's and Hybrids.

That's interesting, my car is always in 'Normal' mode but will have to go and check now!! I was wondering why the ECO light comes on in normal mode.

4 hours ago, timster said:

So, just driven home from work. Definitely in Normal driving mode and the ECO light still comes on when blipping the accelerator.

Not that it really matters!

4 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

What's the diff between ECO mode and NORMAL mode. Does Eco shut a cylinder down ? I have not noticed any MPG gains ECO vs Normal

Really depends on a car. Older models only coast on ECO mode. ACT (ACT stands for Active Cylinder Technology) is i believe always on.

That can also be the e or eco in your instrument panel.

you have PACC capable car it will up-shift from coasting when near intersection or approaching speed limit lower than current speed.

Err what is PACC?

Sorry for the confusion, my car is a vRS TSI DSG so no ACT on this engine.

Basically, it just shows the ECO symbol on the speedo when you blip the throttle. The revs drop and the car coasts.

I just thought it was a strange 'function' that I only discovered by accident!

1 hour ago, ItalianJob said:

Sorry for the confusion, my car is a vRS TSI DSG so no ACT on this engine.

Basically, it just shows the ECO symbol on the speedo when you blip the throttle. The revs drop and the car coasts.

I just thought it was a strange 'function' that I only discovered by accident!

Ah, right i think only 1.5 TSI and lowers have ACT.

Not tried the throttle ‘blip’ technique in the loan 1.0 e-Tec DSG loan car I’m driving at the mo. but what Ive noticed that sometimes the engine will go into coasting and sometimes not…

With cruise control on (standard, not [P]ACC) it will coast on downhills until such point the speed limiter function decides the car has accelerated too much.

Without cruise control on, I can ‘control’ the coasting function by how quickly i lift my foot OFF the accelerator pedal. A gentle lift, the car seems to think there is little or no load so coasting begins; a sharp/quick lift it doesn’t, keeping in gear so I get engine braking (as though it has determined that I want to slow down a bit).

Also, I’ve noticed that sometimes in coasting mode the revs. drop to tick-over whereas most times they drop to zero. I assume this is to do with charging the 48V battery.

One day, when (if) I every get my 1.5TSI ACT manual ‘box car back I’ll have a fiddle to see if I can invoke 2-cylinder mode myself. I guess coasting is a function enabled by having a DSG ‘box so won’t occur on a manual (and I’m not going to put it in neutral myself - certainly not at 70mph in the outside lane…).