The Queensferry Crossing is getting cleaned and various treatments tried to a stop it from getting iced up and dropping lumps of ice onto the carriageway.

Ootohere

Is this peculiar to the new road bridge/ it's construction over the old one ? I only ask as some years ago I lived close to the crossings ( north side, where the bridge lights were visible from the bedroom) and on our shift we had a bloke who cycled across ( each work day & back) and I never heard any comment on falling ice on the old bridge. At this time, we worked a 3 shift system, so cyclist could be heading home at all hours.

This was in the late 70s when it was common to get protracted cold spells.

i think from the videos/ articles the issue is being caused the by airborne dirt clinging to the plastic coating on the cables. the dirt then allows for ice formation by giving water something grab onto and crystalise, but.. because the plastic isnt very grippy the weight of ice build up needed for it to fall off is a lot lower than it would be on the old bridge, where the ice could probably cling long enough to the layers if paint that it could melt away rather than fall.

10 hours ago, mac11irl said:

the plastic isnt very grippy the weight of ice build up needed for it to fall off is a lot lower

Sounds plausible; plastic coating suspension cables (stays) is a novel technique, and possibly unique in Scotland to the "Fifth Bridge". ;) 

Clingons, or as they might be known in Scotland dangle berries as seen clearly on the back end of sheep.     So the Queensferry crossing cables where the ice is forming  is higher than the Forth Road Bridge and the issue is as the temperatures at the height changes and the ice looses adhesion.  Also the cables are over the carriageways.  So the climatic influences and how the ice would form is something the engineers failed to predict just as the ones failed to pick up on just how the corrosion that would occur in the cables of the Forth Road Bridge.  There are bridges all around the world over salt water and in various climates but then it is a location location location thing.    Designing structures and how they will be maintained seems to be something designers and engineers are not that good at getting right.   Let's see if soap on the ropes is the solution that will work.     A tunnel as proposed by many was probably the right way to go.  That might be what is built in the next few decades. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 09:43, KenONeill said:

Sounds plausible; plastic coating suspension cables (stays) is a novel technique, and possibly unique in Scotland to the "Fifth Bridge". ;) 

Possibly the difference in technology . I'd have thought it's the " Sixth Bridge"😁

1 hour ago, VWD said:

Possibly the difference in technology . I'd have thought it's the " Sixth Bridge"😁

Timeline:-

1. Forth (Rail) Bridge
  2. Kincardine (road) Bridge
  3. Forth (Road) Bridge
  4. Clackmannonshire (road) Bridge.
  5. "Queensferry Crossing"

OK, what is this other tidal bridge over the Forth?

Edited by KenONeill

I was thinking ( whimsically )😀 that if the road bridge was the "Forth ", then the new one is the "Sixth.( play on words) I know about the others, I've been over all the river Forth crossings many times except sadly for the new one.

Edited by VWD

• 8 months later...