Oil viscosity

simonetty

Hi can anyone tell me which oil I need for a 1 litre mpi Fabia engine. It’s 59bhp I believe and accelerates from 0-60 in about a month! I am getting very confused and need a definitive answer. The owner’s manual seems to be pants as does the Skoda app. The vin number is TMBFA6NJ7GZ109508 if it helps. 

It certainly hasn’t helped me! I’m not a mechanic so please keep it simple.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon,

simple answer - CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A3/B4. - https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-magnatec-brand/castrol-magnatec-stop-start.html

But there are loads of alternatives if you can't get that for any reason.

WHY do you need oil?

My wife's car is 6 years old only does mainly very short journeys but it doesn't need oil adding between annual services.

magnatec-stop-start-5w-30-a3-b4-en.png.img.275.medium.png

Edited by nta16

Oil top ups are needed because not all engines are the same and not all use them the same and new or used ones serviced at main dealerships can come out with not enough oil, 

that is when checked at Operating Temp parked on the flat and dipped after a few minutes.  That is 4 or 5.  15 minutes is not a few, and Warm is not At operating temp.

Check cold as well. Know where the oil is then before setting off.

The Oil is to VW 504 00, 507 00  so 5w 30 FS III for fixed or variable servicing.

You can use VW502 00 for Fixed Service Intervals,  so that is 5w 40 FS.

w960_3927-184 (2).webp

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 21/09/2021 at 12:50, nta16 said:

Simon,

simple answer - CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A3/B4. - https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-magnatec-brand/castrol-magnatec-stop-start.html

But there are loads of alternatives if you can't get that for any reason.

WHY do you need oil?

My wife's car is 6 years old only does mainly very short journeys but it doesn't need oil adding between annual services.

Why indeed?

Could it be for an oil and filter change? 

WHY do you get an annual service? 

On the oil front I use the Manol stuff Mannol 5L Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Longlife 3 5w30 504/507 + Engine Flush

The one that meets the VW 507 std - and yes, I go for the 5w-30 prefer engine protec tion long term over ultra low emmissions. *

* Remember on the subject of oil everyone is an expert and always right, including me!!

Since we are talking petrol VW engines, that is VW 504 00 / 507 00.   So the spec important is VW504 00.   For a diesel it would be the VW 507 00.    A TDI needing that be it on fixed or variable servicing.    Those with 1.0 TSI,s and now with GPF,s got a car that left the factory with VW508 00 / VW 508 00.    Relevant there VW508 00.  That is the 0w 20 FS IV used to help get the WLTP / RDE and now RDE2 numbers that VW needed desperately. 

The relevant point being what, if any, difference does going from 20 grade to 30 grade at 100C make to the hydrodynamic pressure in the mains, big ends and camshaft bearings?

Edited by KenONeill
comma in wrong place

This table tells the story for model years up to 2020 (there's a separate table for later years).  Use the engine code (see the sticker at the bottom of the driver's B-pillar) and model year. The QI6 column is for variable service-intervals, the Q1-Q4 column is for fixed.

image.thumb.png.09017e629934324427e8c040c08c7f1e.png

The notes on page 82 are:

image.png.1bdb8a47ca237337ea9108063a5d2e9a.png

• Thanks 1