Ordered my Scala mid July, still no factory build week

r0b3rt

I placed an order mid July for a Skoda Scala 1.0 SE-L (with a few extras) was advised delivery would be early November, two and a half months later and still no factory build week. Is this typical or should I have gotten the build week by now? I seem to recall from reading other posts on here that 4-6 weeks was the sort of time frame for getting a build week if I'm remembering correctly.

I did contact Skoda via Live Chat which now finally seems to have come back to life and be working for me! They asked me if the vehicle was purchased via a dealer or third party and when I answered it was via a third party said they cannot assist unless I have the exact order tracking number. I will contact the supplier for this but from reading other posts on here I seem to recall some orders being found just on build spec and rough order date alone and no mentions of third party being a bar so maybe I just got the wrong customer service agent.

Anyway getting a bit concerned, has anyone on here in the UK purchased a Scala mid 2021 onwards and if so what's your order status? have you a build week?

Many thanks,

Robert

Not from the UK but also from July and no build week and got a notice from dealer major problems with parts and stuff so new estimate is somwhere in 2022. No build date at all so its just a very long waiting time halas  I counted on this year but turns out all skoda vehicules are delayed

Hi,

With what Skoda1982 said, there are delays at the moment, this is due to chip shortages. there is a 12 week wait for orders placed for these electronic chips. 

This was due to lockdown last year, the companies that manufacture the chips thought demand will fall during lockdown, however the opposite took place, people started to order computers for home and electronics. Then one of the largest car computer chip manufacturers had a fire and the entire factory burnt down, they are still not back to 100% capacity.

I recently spoke with a person from a Skoda dealership in the UK, they advised there is at least a 4 - 6 month wait for new cars.

My college at work ordered a an Audi A3 in April 2021, about a week ago she had received an email the car had arrived at the port of exit (arrived from the factory to the port to be shipped to the UK).

I had placed an order for my Skoda SEL standard , no extras, placed order end of February 2021 and I got my car end of May 2021. (3 month wait).

I also read something last week where Skoda factory was due to shut down for a week as a result of the micro-ship shortage. You must remember about 1000 chips go into a car. 

So basically a very bad time to buy a new car, wait time is large and price has increased quite a bit. 

And the problem is if you need a new car, big chance problem will still be there in 2023 so it will be a waiting game. No idea if they put electric cars on top of the list tho as i think they want as much eco out there in 2021 for good stats.

Thanks for the responses. I remember about the time I ordered there were issues with Octavias and a couple of other models but couldn't find anything about Scala builds being affected but I'm sure electronic parts are shared between models so.

What I find a bit annoying/frustrating is how people ordering after me already have build weeks for example I saw a post on here that someone had ordered their Scala a little after mid August so over a month after me and by late September said they had a build week for week 1 or maybe 2 in 2022. If I'm remembering right I'm sure it was a Scala SEL same as mine but I think with a 1.5 engine - I mean that's under 5 weeks (maybe even less if they had it before they posted on the forums here) and they had a factory build date .. I'm at 12 weeks now! I suppose like you say that might have been a dealership purchase so prioritised, the reason I went with a third party was partly the discount but also the Skoda dealership apathy - totally uninterested in talking about any discount on whatever the advertised price was with them.

Still if there's no build week by mid December I think I could extricate myself from the contract without penalty .. if it wasn't (for various reasons) sadly not currently possible I'd be rolling out the welder, getting my tools out and finishing the repairs and engine swap on my twenty year old car that's laid up in my garage and save the outlay on the Scala.

Early April I ordered a Scala 1.0 SE with just one option - rear armrest - and was initially given guide of 12-16 weeks. Quickly became apparent that wasn’t going to happen. With the chip shortage there’s really not much that can be done. Then out of blue last week I was told it’ll be ready for end-October delivery. So almost a 7 month wait. It’s been… frustrating! 

Mid-July I inquired about making a replacement order for a 1.5 SE but thd quoted wait time of 30 weeks was enough to put me off. 

I moaned to Skoda UK customer services about it and they said they’d throw a small gesture my way when I took delivery of car but remains to be seen… I’ve read tales of them not honouring such promises. 

Mine was ordered through third party company so perhaps others were prioritised over mine. But there’s very much significant delays to factory builds due to the semiconductor shortage. 

I also ordered (at the skoda dealer) in July 2021 and like r0b3rt said, there was no mention of delay with scala and kamiq back then. I have no build date neither and the estimate is now somewhere in 2022 as they do not know what influence it has on the order..breaking contract makes us lose money because it is a situation out of the dealers hands.

I’m interested in ordering a new Scala SE and the salesman got the latest lead times on the Skoda System for the various Scala models - see below. He did add that these are estimates and could well be even longer.   

image.png.87ea7175c2546223ca52a988a4083f25.png

Edited by rkenny

7 hours ago, rkenny said:

I’m interested in ordering a new Scala SE and the salesman got the latest lead times on the Skoda System for the various Scala models - see below. He did add that these are estimates and could well be even longer.   

image.png.87ea7175c2546223ca52a988a4083f25.png

That is some painful information, but yeah i have to suck up and hope for the best ;/

Ordered my Scala last month here in Croatia. Got 120 to 140 days. But considering the latest news regarding the production halt, there's no way it's going to be here that soon. I followed some Škoda FB groups. One guy says he waited 9 months for his Octavia to arrive.

Bloody hell.

6 hours ago, sleepinglion said:

Yeah that news wasn't encouraging. But it did say they had tons of cars built just awaiting chips, so there's always the small hope that the car could be 90% finished just not getting a build week until the chips are in

Isn't that a worry?  How are these being stored and cars don't like not being used.

Stored exactly like new cars are for weeks or months on Runways of airports.

As happened just the same for months but over a winter as Skoda waited for WLTP Certification then export just a few years back and those vehicles are just going out of warranty now.

So new cars not yet run in. 

Rather different from used cars that no longer are new so less protection on them that sit at Dealerships / Compounds / Car supermarkets or Car Hire pounds 

for weeks, month or even years as some have now during lockdown.

At least in the Czech Republic the TSI's will not be sitting with a few litres of pre winter spec E10 95 ron petrol in the tanks maybe just pre winter spec E5.

The TDI's might be getting Winter Spec Diesel put in at the factory in expectation of them sitting out in what might be a hard winter.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/green-row-over-scots-council-25072357

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is good to hear something is getting built again!

Currently nothing has changed for me, no build week yet and the third party company I ordered through won't supply the order tracking number.  I can understand that they probably don't want to tell me it as it could identify who they in turn may be sourcing the cars through but it doesn't help my stress levels not being able to speak to Skoda directly if I wanted (at least the company I ordered through has confirmed I can withdraw from the purchase without any charges due to the delays).

Any update for yourself for your order?

11 hours ago, r0b3rt said:

It is good to hear something is getting built again!

Currently nothing has changed for me, no build week yet and the third party company I ordered through won't supply the order tracking number.  I can understand that they probably don't want to tell me it as it could identify who they in turn may be sourcing the cars through but it doesn't help my stress levels not being able to speak to Skoda directly if I wanted (at least the company I ordered through has confirmed I can withdraw from the purchase without any charges due to the delays).

Any update for yourself for your order?

Nope, nothing here yet, but I ordered my Scala through a local dealer. They gave me 120-140 days of waiting time (ordered it in September), so I still have a lot to go.

10 hours ago, soussi said:

For me no information at all till now, still no estimate of production. I could get more info this year but most probably somewhere next year 😕

My best guess is that they want to finish all the cars that were stuck on the production line, and then focus on new orders.

So, yeah, it'll take more time 😕

3 hours ago, Iggy_ZG said:

Nope, nothing here yet, but I ordered my Scala through a local dealer. They gave me 120-140 days of waiting time (ordered it in September), so I still have a lot to go.

My best guess is that they want to finish all the cars that were stuck on the production line, and then focus on new orders.

So, yeah, it'll take more time 😕

If it will really be 140 days then i rlly hope to get it end this year or beginning next year. Would love the new car for the winter. But as you said most production will be used for parked cars.