loading user profile

Simon79

I have a 70 reg Skoda Karoq. Today, it hasn't loaded the user profile and is sitting for ages on 'loading user profile'. Consequently the radio, sat nav, phone etc. are unuseable. Additionally, there's a message about 'SOS, return to workshop' or words to that effect. Tried to call the local dealer, but all I could get was a used car salesman, who wasn't much help and suggested I return the car to the dealer on Monday. (It's only just been dealer serviced last Thursday).

Any thoughts?

It's a computer and they all have glitches.

This may or may not work but you have nothing to lose except a bit of time and it does cure some glitches.

Reboot your infotainment system 3 times in succession and no, I'm not joking. If you don't know how to do it, keep your finger on the on/off icon for a few seconds until you hear a loud bleep/noise/pop. As said, do this 3 times in succession.

Don't worry, it won't do any harm, nor will you lose any personal settings. If this doesn't work you can try a factory reset, but with this you will lose any personal settings that you've entered.

The system reboot does work for certain ailments, but is not guaranteed for all of them. Worth a try though and only takes a few minutes.

• Like 1

Thanks olderman1, just tried that and came back in to find your message. A bit alarmed by the loud noise, but happy to hear that's nothing unusual. I'll go and try three times in succession.....

That's a shame. 

Doing this from memory now which is currently clouded in an alcohol induced fugue.

Go to car settings I think and scroll down until you see factory reset. Press on that and follow instructions.

If you don't find it there, there's a couple of other sub menu settings, but you'll  have to wait until tomorrow for me to find them..

If the reboot didn't work, I have my doubts that a factory reset will do it,  but its worth a try. Failing that it's a dealer visit I'm afraid.

I have had a similar issue with my brand new (2 week old) vehicle.

I managed to get an answer out of SUK, who told me that there are issues with the servers from time to time.

Basically, when you open the car it communicates with their server to retrieve the values that were last saved by that particular key. No data is stored in the key, it is purely an identifier for a user.

When you leave (log out) it attempts to save back the status of your profile (you may have changed the A/c settings or the dashboard layout if you have the electronic version.

SUK also provided me with a list of exactly is stored against a user. I’m guessing this feature stops working if you do not renew the Skoda connect subscription.

Welcome greeting

door opening on being unlocked

Unit Settings

Memory Seat positions

Mirror positions

Temperature intensity

Air conditioning

Climate Profile

Instrument Cluster Customisation

Park Assist Settings

9 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I’ll call the dealer tomorrow, as I can’t progress past the ‘loading’ screen

I would suggest speaking (via the chat function) to Skoda UK....

I’ll PM you the full transcript I had with them when I questioned them about this problem.

Car has been in at the dealership today. Just heard that the 5F unit (in the glovebox) has failed.

Seemingly they’ve had a few similar failures recently. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Well OK, I've now seen this message for the first time today. 

While driving home from the shops I got a 'Software Update' message which I ignored as it wouldn't update while I was driving. Then I got the dreaded 'SOS Error' message and lost the internet connection (no green light). The radio and map in the virtual cockpit were still fine though. When I got home, I turned the ignition off and then on again. Infotainment system was now dead while it tried to load my user profile. No green light, and still the SOS Error message. After leaving it for an hour, reset the Amundsen infotainment system by holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Came back to life after a delay, user profile now loaded, radio and nav maps now working and SOS Error message cleared. 

The notification screen said I had a software update waiting, but when I pressed Update, I was told the software was up to date! 

My car's already booked in to have its steering wheel changed to 'cure' the messages about the Travel Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Signs not being available, so I'll add this to the list for them! 

Life was simpler BEFORE we had online cars wasn't it! Almost makes me want to go back to the 60s with SU carburettors, 5,000 mile services, and dodgy Lucas electrics :)

Chris 

17 hours ago, CJJE said:

Life was simpler BEFORE we had online cars wasn't it! Almost makes me want to go back to the 60s with SU carburettors, 5,000 mile services, and dodgy Lucas electrics

Indeed, at least we were able to fix most things without the need of a computer or a technician!

Mind you, you had to drive around with a tool box and a selection of ‘spares’.... just in case

On 24/11/2021 at 15:05, CJJE said:

Well OK, I've now seen this message for the first time today. 

While driving home from the shops I got a 'Software Update' message which I ignored as it wouldn't update while I was driving. Then I got the dreaded 'SOS Error' message and lost the internet connection (no green light). The radio and map in the virtual cockpit were still fine though. When I got home, I turned the ignition off and then on again. Infotainment system was now dead while it tried to load my user profile. No green light, and still the SOS Error message. After leaving it for an hour, reset the Amundsen infotainment system by holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Came back to life after a delay, user profile now loaded, radio and nav maps now working and SOS Error message cleared. 

The notification screen said I had a software update waiting, but when I pressed Update, I was told the software was up to date! 

My car's already booked in to have its steering wheel changed to 'cure' the messages about the Travel Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Signs not being available, so I'll add this to the list for them! 

Life was simpler BEFORE we had online cars wasn't it! Almost makes me want to go back to the 60s with SU carburettors, 5,000 mile services, and dodgy Lucas electrics :)

Chris 

The software updates in the background and if you are driving it give you no info, I had that yesterday just as I stopped clicked on show info and it was a shop update

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

The software updates in the background and if you are driving it give you no info, I had that yesterday just as I stopped clicked on show info and it was a shop update

Yeah... that's what all the previous ones have been, but I couldn't see anything different there either. So just a few bug fixes I suppose.

Chris

16 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Yep bug fixes

One would have though that there would be some sort of ‘release note’ somewhere so that end users could see what has changed in each revision!

5 hours ago, vegit8 said:

One would have though that there would be some sort of ‘release note’ somewhere so that end users could see what has changed in each revision!

If you manage to get the see info that's where it tells you what in the update it's not very specific, can't remember the exact wording  but it was not more than shop bug fixes.

OK, steering wheel & controller changed under warranty to cure Traffic Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Sign errors. And as I'd reported the SOS Error message the system software was updated from 0270 to 0276 to cure this fault. (Funny, but I'd asked if there was a system software update available when the car was serviced a few weeks ago, and told there wasn't. But now I've reported the SOS Error fault there suddenly is!)

As the faults were pretty intermittent it will take time to prove they've been cured. But it was certainly 'interesting' to drive a 1.0 litre manual Karoq SE instead of my Sportline! To be fair, the 1.0 litre was surprisingly nippy and with much lighter handling than mine, but it was a pain having to remember to change gears all the time!

Chris

3 hours ago, CJJE said:

OK, steering wheel & controller changed under warranty to cure Traffic Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Sign errors. And as I'd reported the SOS Error message the system software was updated from 0270 to 0276 to cure this fault. (Funny, but I'd asked if there was a system software update available when the car was serviced a few weeks ago, and told there wasn't. But now I've reported the SOS Error fault there suddenly is!)

As the faults were pretty intermittent it will take time to prove they've been cured. But it was certainly 'interesting' to drive a 1.0 litre manual Karoq SE instead of my Sportline! To be fair, the 1.0 litre was surprisingly nippy and with much lighter handling than mine, but it was a pain having to remember to change gears all the time!

Chris

3 hours ago, CJJE said:

My car is in tomorrow for a software update, due to freezing infotainment.

the 1 Ltd is surprisingly good though as you say remembering to change gear is a pain.

• 3 months later...

My Octavia IV has been doing this almost since I had it a year ago.   I am getting rid of it on monday (lease) and this morning it started playing up with all sorts of gash messages which mostly went 

but the loading user profile I cannot get rid of -- such a nuisance as It locks up the whole screen and then of course you cannot get even into the system to do the factory reset.  I Think the electronics 

on this car have been poor from the outset.   Unfortunately BCA coming to inspect the car on monday not sure what happens when they see the LOADING USER PROFILE which will not go away....

Edited by ARTURO-B

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hi, last night while I was travelling, the SOS anomaly signaled me, go to the Service.
2 hour trip, the alert never turned off.
After about 1 hour it also reported "Limited road sign recognition".
Then the flat tire warning light also came on (but this is normal, because it happens every time I change from winter to summer tyres).
Everything else worked (radio, android auto, ACC, etc.)

Once I reached my destination I held down the button to turn on the infotainment, so as to reset it and, once the Skoda logo appeared, the infotainment was stuck on "User profile loading".
I tried reset several times but nothing.

By turning it off and on again, for a fraction of a second I could see 1 error ("car profile not available") which then disappeared immediatly.
If I locked the car, "EMPTY. Forgot anything?" appeared instead of the standard message with my name.

I read that it's a common problem, my Karoq is 2021, sometimes some lights came on but then when I turned it off and on again everything was fine again.
I read that to solve the problem you can:

- set privacy to maximum level (it's a workaround because then some online systems don't work, so I don't like it as a solution)
- press the SOS button 1-2 times and, as soon as the call starts (which does not happen immediately but perhaps after 1 minute, given that the service is blocked) press Cancel and everything works again.
- disconnect the battery and reconnect it (the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree but then the lights go off as you drive)
- leave the machine turned off for 30 minutes and it resets itself
- do soft reset 3 times (it's not clear to me if it really works)
- do a factory reset (assuming you can access the menu, since everything is blocked)

I have the latest firmware available for MIB3, 0330.

Obviously I left the OBD2 interface at home, so I can't see what the error is or reset it until I get home next week...

A moment ago, I went down to check (the issue occurred last night). I turn on the radio and the user loading screen appears again. I press the infotainment power button and hold it down for a very long time, even after the Skoda logo appears. The screen goes blank, and when it finally comes back on, I see my name.

I can press ok, and everything works.

Let's see if it was just a temporary problem.

PS
I didn't check if the SOS call light was green. It wasn't displaying any errors anymore, so it was probably on as usual, but I'll check later.