Electric Brake and Auto Hold....

janewalker55

Sorry, I have moved on from my constant moaning 'where is my car' to now 'how do i........" so please bear with me..  In my defence I have a) asked the dealer before driving away, b) read the manual and c) watched numerous videos but I still do not understand the whole 'handbrake' and 'auto hold'.. Do I just leave auto hold on the whole time and therefore never have to do anything with a parking brake? or leave it off and only put it on when in a 'hill start' situation. When for my first drive yesterday and wondered why the car wasnt moving and it was because the parking brake was on and I had to release it.. I thought it released automatically when you pressed the accelerator?  In really simple terms please can somebody explain exactly what I should be doing.. Apologies as I know this subject has been covered before... And.......... NO FREE TORCH IN THE BOOT!!!!

I switched on auto hold when I collected my Kodiaq and it hasn’t been off in the 3 years since. Short learning curve on feathering the brake pedal, to allow creeping and auto hold not cutting in is all it takes.
Autohold and dsg are a great combination.

As to the EHB, I think in 3 years I’ve used it once.

• Like 3

I dismissed Autohold, soon after getting my Karoq 2yrs ago, due to my eroneous understanding that it had to be used with stop/start - which I only want to use occasionally, when waits longer than a few seconds are expected, say at traffic lights.  Recent discussions here (thanks to Kenny R etc.) are leading me to think that after all, it might be a good thing to keep on most of the time (stop/start or no stop/start) - early days yet & just started experimenting with how much I wish to keep it switched on.  It would seem to overcome one or 2 drawbacks in the generally excellent DSG system & make driving a little easier still.

@janewalker55 Autohold is great and locks the brakes on when stationary and in D or S and all is well.

Engine running or Stop / Start having stopped the  car.

But if you put the Shifter into N then the Autohold will no longer be holding the car and you need your foot on the brake pedal or apply the e-Brake / Parking brake if it is not on automatically. 

The e-Brake is on or off and working on the rear wheels. 

Autohold has the 4 brakes operating and if the car moves it applies more pressure on the brakes.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Jane had my car only a week or so longer than you.  Autohold basically means you don't have to keep your foot on the brake, when you push the accelerator it releases and away you go.  It does seem odd at first,  but one you have confidence is cool.  If you need to see just look for green light right in front on the display.  

As has been said if you are light on the brake then you can not have it apply if your creeping.  

On my car, Auto Hold will always activate on standstill, no matter how softly breaking I've come to it.
I only switch Auto Hold off if I have to park most gingerly or when I park on level ground for a freezing night.

Edited by agedbriar
  • Thanks 1

I think the only time we switch autohold off is when parking at home or in a tight space.  The road we live on slopes and hence autohold has a tendency to keep applying the brakes if you are creeping back in reverse so we switch it off the park and then reenable it just before turning the engine off.

I use Auto hold in most situations, except if I stuck in a line of traffic then I tend to use the handbrake, especially if it's night and raining, auto hold use the hydraulic system and this operates the brake lights so on a rainy night this can be dazzling for the driver behind, and if you check the Highway Code you will find it's an offence to dazzle someone, the handbrake doesn't activate the brake lights, and it does tease as you drive off.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I think the only time we switch autohold off is when parking at home or in a tight space.  The road we live on slopes and hence autohold has a tendency to keep applying the brakes if you are creeping back in reverse so we switch it off the park and then reenable it just before turning the engine off.

That's not auto hold that's applying the brakes it only applies the brakes when you are stationary, what you refer to is either hill start assist or park assist .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pragmatix said:

That's not auto hold that's applying the brakes it only applies the brakes when you are stationary, what you refer to is either hill start assist or park assist .

Ah yes I think you're right...   I might be getting confused.  We come to a stop facing uphill, select reverse and the car then won't move until we lift the clutch.  If you then brake to ease into a space it holds again.  Either way switching the autohold off sorts it.

I use auto hold all the time & only apply the e-brake when parked up or sometimes at the lights or in a traffic queue where I might be stationary for quite a while. I turn off Stop Start as soon as I get in the car because it cannot react quick enough to re-start the engine when you want to pull away smartly e.g. jump into a space on a roundabout. I have also turned off Lane Assist permanently. Can't be doing with that unnatural robotic tugging on the steering wheel. 

I just wish the 1.5 DSG was a bit more lively off the line. There's a definite lag between pressing the go peddle & any meaningful forward motion. I think this is more DSG than the engine itself.   

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

I just wish the 1.5 DSG was a bit more lively off the line. There's a definite lag between pressing the go peddle & any meaningful forward motion.

Me too...  :)

Seems that it can be mitigated.

I may look into this when the warranty expires.

http://www.mtl.si/sl/avto-storitve/vkljucitev-dodatnih-funkcionalnosti/vw-t-roc,-škoda-karoq,-audi-q2.html

2021-10-04_131910.png

Edited by agedbriar

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

I turn off Stop Start as soon as I get in the car because it cannot react quick enough to re-start the engine when you want to pull away smartly e.g. jump into a space on a roundabout. I have also turned off Lane Assist permanently. Can't be doing with that unnatural robotic tugging on the steering wheel. 

I just wish the 1.5 DSG was a bit more lively off the line. There's a definite lag between pressing the go peddle & any meaningful forward motion. I think this is more DSG than the engine itself.   

Pretty certain that's only an issue for DSG equipped cars - I've not had an issue with either of our manual's that have stop start - (the Kodiaq and the Swift), albeit that might be to do with driver anticipation as well...

So easy to turn on and off as required. Off for roundabouts and junctions, on for when stop start and longer delays. Why waste fuel?

Try sport mode in dsg when a quick acceleration is needed. Again so easy to select for a few seconds when it may be needed then back to normal or eco once up to speed?

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Pretty certain that's only an issue for DSG equipped cars

Of course, with manual shift you can rev the engine up to turbo-efficiency before engaging the clutch.

Not so with DSG  (unless you "launch").

Edited by agedbriar

40 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Try sport mode in dsg when a quick acceleration is needed.

I often do, but from standstill the gain is pretty small on my car.

Although in overtaking the difference is relevant.

Edited by agedbriar

Obviously it is engine power dependent.  And a totally different 7 speed DSG. 

A 1.0 TSI is likely just holding 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd to higher RPM and maybe even spinning the tyres surface dependent and having TC / ASR cutting power or nipping the brakes.

More noise than actual acceleration. 

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Perhaps it is engine depending. In my 190 tdi 4x4 it can be scary at big throttle input in sport mode from standstill!!

Same for my 360hp Superb 280. From standing with SS off & set in sport it can rip up loose tarmac, & no wheelspin. Acceleration is pretty savage & although I haven't timed it officially, I reckon 0-60 is around 4.0secs. Extra 80hp courtesy of a Revo Stg 1 remap. Just wish I could get the Karoq to respond a bit quicker.  

7 hours ago, agedbriar said:

Me too...  :)

Seems that it can be mitigated.

I may look into this when the warranty expires.

http://www.mtl.si/sl/avto-storitve/vkljucitev-dodatnih-funkcionalnosti/vw-t-roc,-škoda-karoq,-audi-q2.html

2021-10-04_131910.png

Yes. I believe this is what is referred to as the "Audi throttle" setting. There are a few people in the UK on this forum who can reprogram VAG group cars with VCDS. I plan to visit one with our Karoq as soon as the warranty runs out.

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Yes. I believe this is what is referred to as the "Audi throttle" setting. There are a few people in the UK on this forum who can reprogram VAG group cars with VCDS. I plan to visit one with our Karoq as soon as the warranty runs out.

I've heard that term too.

I might approach that mod with more confidence knowing that it's a designed setting, rather than a bunch of parameter hacks.

4 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Perhaps it is engine depending. In my 190 tdi 4x4 it can be scary at big throttle input in sport mode from standstill!!

I'd describe it as reasonably rapid rather than scary.  Switch off most of the traction control and it's better.   I think a remap to c. 230 bhp and 330 lbs-ft would improve it even more.  Did you know that you just undo one clip and the ECU pops out...?  😄

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not that difficult, give it half the extra PS / Nm you gave your Superb and it too will be able to rip up loose tarmac. 

Very true. I believe around 180-190hp & 300-335Nm is possible for the 1.5TSi with a stg 1 remap. With that it should transform the car. I am however, a bit concerned whether the stock DSG can take the extra power / torque.