Vrs tdi 184 engine cutting out when driving!

My 2014 vrs diesel DSG  (101k miles, totally standard, full main dealer service history) has been cutting out when driving, the engine just turns itself off and i get a message on the dash display saying 'restart engine manually'.

This is a pretty dangerous fault as its happened when driving!!!

Most recently at 60mph , so i then have no power and have to freewheel to a standstill to put the dsg into 'park' and restart the engine. 

This happens even with the stop/start turned off.

Any ideas?

I would get your car scanned with either VCDS or OBDELEVEN etc and see if there are any fault codes stored. That is always a good place to start as some codes are stored but are not static so won't raise a dashboard light.

• Like 1

Could be anyone of a number of things but very dangerous. I once had a Honda Prelude that did this turns out it was a common problem caused by previous owners having loads of keys on their keyring. Eventually the weight of the keys caused this fault and a mechanism on the lock had to be replaced.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TimWhit said:

My 2014 vrs diesel DSG  (101k miles, totally standard, full main dealer service history) has been cutting out when driving, the engine just turns itself off and i get a message on the dash display saying 'restart engine manually'.

This is a pretty dangerous fault as its happened when driving!!!

Most recently at 60mph , so i then have no power and have to freewheel to a standstill to put the dsg into 'park' and restart the engine. 

This happens even with the stop/start turned off.

Any ideas?

Instead of coming to a complete halt, why can't you shift to "N", press the brake pedal slightly and restart the engine? Then into "D". Obviously needs some care depending on traffic conditions.

I would echo previous sentiments.It needs to be taken to a dealer. Engine cutting out is symptomatic of either a fuel delivery issue (fuel pump is failing) or your battery is completely snookered and the voltage levels are so low the CANBUS is having a CTRL-ALT-DEL moment and restarting causing system shutdown.

Thank you guys, really appreciate the comments, some good suggestions for where the fault may lie. Im not driving it at the moment.

The car has been sat in my skoda dealer for the last 2 weeks, but they havnt even looked at it yet & dont have a slot in their workshop until 1st nov! 

17 hours ago, ords said:

Instead of coming to a complete halt, why can't you shift to "N", press the brake pedal slightly and restart the engine? Then into "D". Obviously needs some care depending on traffic conditions.

Thank ords, im not currently driving the carcthough, tool it straight to dealers after its last cut out,  but thanks for this suggestion to manage any future instance of it happening.

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2021 at 07:51, varaderoguy said:

I would echo previous sentiments.It needs to be taken to a dealer. Engine cutting out is symptomatic of either a fuel delivery issue (fuel pump is failing) or your battery is completely snookered and the voltage levels are so low the CANBUS is having a CTRL-ALT-DEL moment and restarting causing system shutdown.

Good shout with these two thoughts,, apppreciate you responding, & someone else has also mentioned the battery as a possible culprit, though the car does crank over pretty fast at start up, 

On 22/10/2021 at 09:02, Ecomatt said:

I would get your car scanned with either VCDS or OBDELEVEN etc and see if there are any fault codes stored. That is always a good place to start as some codes are stored but are not static so won't raise a dashboard light.

Thanks matt, the car is in at my skoda dealer now, so hopefully they will het some data out of its system , 

On 22/10/2021 at 11:31, purephotoni said:

Could be anyone of a number of things but very dangerous. I once had a Honda Prelude that did this turns out it was a common problem caused by previous owners having loads of keys on their keyring. Eventually the weight of the keys caused this fault and a mechanism on the lock had to be replaced.

Funnily enough, i do have a fair few keys on the same bunch as this cars ignition key. Its certainly something i'll bear in mind if my dealer doesn't  come up with something concrete.

I saw something similar on an older Skoda, although i only remember one cut out and it was more briefly losing headlights lights or power steering going off etc.

Dealer couldn’t find anything obvious and said bring it in if it happens again. It did, but as the battery was 7+ years old and cheaper than a diagnostic I changed it for a good quality new one.

All problems went away and never came back.

I imagine the battery is struggling, especially if it’s been parked up for a long while. Funny thing with modern electronics is they appear very sensitive to the power supply.

• Like 1

,I've had a weird issue with my 2018 Octavia 1.5tsi  petrol manual estate. The engine cut our completely after a warning came up on the mfd showing engine revs limited to 1700rpm ( or similar, can't quite remember) .  The car had zero power.bWe were lucky not to be on the M1 South deathtrap ( no hard shoulder) as we had turned off at junction 33 to Sheffield. The car coasted to the side of the road as it wouldn't rev. The MFD lit up with random messages. The car wouldn't crank on the starter , but radio worked , all lights worked . Warning lights were random ,then went out completely.

AA attended , plugged into OBD2 port but no power and no readings .

After 45 minutes the AA guy tapped the 645  relay under the bonnet in the fuse/ relay box that provides power to the ECU. Car fired up and drove normally despite battery being somewhat depleted as I'd put all the lights on to warn others .

The dealer claims that their scan showed no faults and could not replicate the issue.

After much negotiation the dealer reluctantly replaced the relay free of charge . ( I said I'd pay if they wouldn't do it for free as I didn't trust the relay)

Car was under extended warranty but dealer claimed Skoda wouldn't pay as the car showed no fault when scanned ! You couldn't make it up !!

It seems fine now. Fingers crossed. I've scanned it myself with OBD Eleven  and despite what the dealer said they have cleared some fault codes.

• 2 months later...

All problems now solved. 2 new components fitted 1-differential pressure sensor  2- cam sensor.

Thrse arnt expensive items and ive done over 1,000 faultless miles since they were fitted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimWhit said:

All problems now solved. 2 new components fitted 1-differential pressure sensor  2- cam sensor.

Thrse arnt expensive items and ive done over 1,000 faultless miles since they were fitted.

Glad it is all sorted for you 👍