Octavia iV vrs PHEV vs sportline PHEV (non-UK)

mcdeli

I'm looking at a choice between these two models and I don't quite get the differences. Bear in mind I am not in the UK (Finland) so some things are included standard here. Matrix headlights, heated front seats are included in both. I have no interest in lane assist or HUD. Blind spot detection is not available here at the moment. The webasto heater is popular here but I have a heated garage. I will be home charging from house leccy overnight and in the daytime as I work from home. The sportline looks like the UK's SE (no chrome trim) but includes interior and extras that make it the most expensive trim level (bar the VRS) in the Finnish offering. So...

Octavia iV estate 1.4TSI VRS PHEV 180kw - + heated rear seats, tinted rear windows, 3-zone clima, tow bar ready, simply clever, 19" altairs - €45 443

Octavia iV estate 1.4TSI sportline PHEV 150kw - + heated rear seats, tinted rear windows, 3-zone clima, tow bar ready, simply clever, 19" taurus - + front fog lights and Columbus €42 571

This is as close as I can get the cars in the build your own online - and both in grey - they look close to identical - the differences AFAIK are the VRS upholstery, DCC (€725 to add to the sportline), red brake calipers, sportline/VRS badges, tiny styling differences front and rear... and that 30KW extra power.

-So, can you explain to me what differences I am missing, where the extra power comes from if they are both 1.4 TSI, are there advantages/disadvantages in the engines, any other thoughts on that 3k price difference?

(oh and I will get a sportline test drive for the weekend in the morning, so anything to look for, any thoughts appreciated)

5 minutes ago, mcdeli said:

where the extra power comes from if they are both 1.4 TSi

Different engine maps, and maybe, repeat maybe, camshafts.

Beyond that, if I may, won't the Webasto make the car more saleable in future even if you don't need it?

• Like 1

Just now, KenONeill said:

Different engine maps, and maybe, repeat maybe, camshafts.

Beyond that, if I may, won't the Webasto make the car more saleable in future even if you don't need it?

The webasto might make it more saleable... but... it's a grand... it only heats the cabin... I would like to read some threads where people explain the remote control and how it works - and that it actually works... and aftermarket cheap fan heaters are really popular here - because pretty much anyone who has a 40k car here has at least an off street parking space with an electric post on a timer (some exceptions for city dwellers).

The websato would also add a grand to either/both options here so is not a factor in the decision.

When you say different engine maps - do you mean it's the same engine just tuned?

2 hours ago, mcdeli said:

The webasto might make it more saleable... but... it's a grand... it only heats the cabin

Ah, I was thinking that it would be/include a sump heater.

And yes different engine maps mean different tunes on the same engine. An idea that VAG use regularly across Audi, Seat, Skoda and Vw ranges.

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Ah, I was thinking that it would be/include a sump heater.

And yes different engine maps mean different tunes on the same engine. An idea that VAG use regularly across Audi, Seat, Skoda and Vw ranges.

3k seems like a lot for DCC and a remap;) OK and the brakes.

I wonder what else...

Faced with the choice which would you take ?

Edited by mcdeli

Most of the differences come in powertrain and interior. 

Sportline is just Style (+dynamic-packet) with some sportier parts. 

RS iV gets more juice from the electric engine. 1.4TSI output is the same on both.

No DCC by default on RS iV.

RS iV can be ordered with a tow bar.

I actually at first did order a Style with dynamic-packet (wanted the darker interior) but since changed it to a PHEV and got the RS iV since its alot nicer inside.

Getting mine with webasto so i can save on the EV range. Specially since i cant charge at home.

Are you perhaps getting the red sportline from laakkonen? ;)

edit: added some pictures showing the two powertrains. ICE output is the same. Both have max output even if the battery shows 0km range, since there is still some juice left after 0km.

octavia_en_1-4_rs_iv_power.thumb.jpg.971df7ce40faca9bbe880613792f7e25.jpgoctavia_en_1-4_iv_power.thumb.jpg.0de9538c2517da358c39ce6b254367b0.jpg

Edited by timster
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, timster said:

Most of the differences come in powertrain and interior. 

Sportline is just Style (+dynamic-packet) with some sportier parts. 

RS iV gets more juice from the electric engine. 1.4TSI output is the same on both.

No DCC by default on RS iV.

RS iV can be ordered with a tow bar.

I actually at first did order a Style with dynamic-packet (wanted the darker interior) but since changed it to a PHEV and got the RS iV since its alot nicer inside.

Getting mine with webasto so i can save on the EV range. Specially since i cant charge at home.

Are you perhaps getting the red sportline from laakkonen? ;)

edit: added some pictures showing the two powertrains. ICE output is the same. Both have max output even if the battery shows 0km range, since there is still some juice left after 0km.

Yes Timster. I have that one charging in the garage right now;) I am a bit confused and appreciate any help...

- No DCC by default on RS iV. - Ah OK. I see that now. I just played with the DCC modes on a medium distance drive. I didn't get any tangible effect so I am happy to leave it out.

- RS iV can be ordered with a tow bar - both sportline PHEV and rs PHEV can have the towbar ready. That's fine for me.

- 1.4TSI output is the same on both.- this I don't understand, though I see it from the pics... I was told the RS has been mapped... so why no extra power?

- RS iV gets more juice from the electric engine. - I don't follow,, the electric engine is the same, right? And the electric boost works well on the sportline at high speeds. How is the RS different?

...It is quite crazy how the available packages are changing. I would really like the blind spot warning. Lane assist I do not like at all. Laura did OK today by the way. Though she does like to make it cool. Biggest hit with the fam is the virtual pedal. Magic.

10 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

For me it's obvious. For such small difference in money I would take the VRS. Even if there would be no other differences, the VRS looks much better. 

I hear you... but... I have the two configured side by side, same grey, similar 19s... and the sportline and rs look practically identical... the differences (red brakes, comb front, no sportline side badge, rs badge, rs rear red line, other small styling differences, and even if you pay to black the exhausts...) these differences are minute, tiny... to the naked eye they are basically identical.

The concern for me is that this RS PHEV is not really a vRS - it's a 1.4 TSI - agreed the price difference is not much (without adding DCC, electric seats and other usual RS standards) but is it "really" a vRS, if the top speed and acceleration are less than the 2.0 TSI...?

(I'm playing devil's advocate here... if you have more thoughts, I would love to hear. The vRS PHEV is quoted as accel: 7.3s top speed 225kmh against 7.8s/220kmh for the sportline PHEV... with the 2.0 vRS at 6.8s/250)

I agree, differences on the outside are not big. But they are still there. Especially if you like more sporty look.

In the end I guess you are not buying a sport car. Otherwise you would by a 2.0 TSI engine. So I would say it's down to your personal preference which one you like more. I personally like the VRS look more over the Sportline. And for 3k difference, I would definitely go with the VRS over the Sportline. For that you get a top end trim (even if the list on paper is the same), extra power and a little more sportiness on the inside and outside (and maybe some other mechanical differences that we are not aware of??). 

Edited by TheUltraRunner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I agree, differences on the outside are not big. But they are still there. Especially if you like more sporty look.

I know that pretty much everyone on here can spot the difference, and I know I am not showing the more obvious rear details... but the idea that one is more sporty than the other just doesn't hold water. I just don't think it is credible to say they look noticeably different.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 21.25.50.png

Edited by mcdeli

It seems a lot like a remap and different badges for 3k.

Unless, as said here, there are some other mysterious differences somewhere.

I am a big vRS fan, so I am minded to pay the extra. It's worth something to get rid of the sportline badge! So, I am being devil's advocate. But there is the niggling feeling that this isn't really a vRS!

Next segue... Tonight I figured that e-mode and strong recuperation work great for me. Is there any disadvantage to strong regen - I like the feel as I am used to slowing with the engine, I like seeing "the blue", what's not to love?

40 minutes ago, mcdeli said:

I know that pretty much everyone on here can spot the difference, and I know I am not showing the more obvious rear details... but the idea that one is more sporty than the other just doesn't hold water. I just don't think it is credible to say they look noticeably different.

You really compared the least obvious angle of the car. :biggrin:

Everything I said above is only my opinion. For me VRS from front and rear looks more sporty than Sportline. And there are still interior differences.

1 hour ago, TheUltraRunner said:

You really compared the least obvious angle of the car. :biggrin:

Everything I said above is only my opinion. For me VRS from front and rear looks more sporty than Sportline. And there are still interior differences.

The seats are basically the same;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

What about the other interior parts?

Well, the sportline I am test driving this weekend has vRs pedals, 10 inch display, sewn dash detail. The interior details, like upgrading the stereo, electric seats etc. are options in various packages. Of course you can’t get red stitches in your sportline seats - but the seats are the same.

There are no meaningful differences as far as I can work out from studying the manuals and configurator. A sportline with e.g. DCC and the different assist packages has all the same buttons as the vRS PHEV... unless I am missing something...?

3 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Could be VRS has some different mechanical parts as the Sportline? Suspension, strut bars, etc...

I will try and ask from my dealer and from the mothership tomorrow;)

21 hours ago, mcdeli said:

Yes Timster. I have that one charging in the garage right now;) I am a bit confused and appreciate any help...

- No DCC by default on RS iV. - Ah OK. I see that now. I just played with the DCC modes on a medium distance drive. I didn't get any tangible effect so I am happy to leave it out.

- RS iV can be ordered with a tow bar - both sportline PHEV and rs PHEV can have the towbar ready. That's fine for me.

- 1.4TSI output is the same on both.- this I don't understand, though I see it from the pics... I was told the RS has been mapped... so why no extra power?

- RS iV gets more juice from the electric engine. - I don't follow,, the electric engine is the same, right? And the electric boost works well on the sportline at high speeds. How is the RS different?

...It is quite crazy how the available packages are changing. I would really like the blind spot warning. Lane assist I do not like at all. Laura did OK today by the way. Though she does like to make it cool. Biggest hit with the fam is the virtual pedal. Magic.

1.4TSI output is the same on paper, and i dont believe it has any internal changes either. Might have some small adjustments on the mapping.

Electric engine is the same, its just mapped to produce more power. Not sure how long can it produce more power. 

• Like 1

My dealer has told me straight there are no other unmentioned differences between these models.

I will try the iV vRS PHEV tomorrow night and report back.

The differences really are tiny. The ride height is the same with or without DCC

One niggle is that here, the grey RS stitching is extra as only available with electric seats in a 2k extra pack. I would prefer the grey over the red but not for all that coin.

I have them down to just 2k eur difference. And that means AFAIK 2k to swap badges, the tiny front and rear styling differences, remap and the red brakes. Are the brakes even the same?

On 25/10/2021 at 19:58, mcdeli said:

My dealer has told me straight there are no other unmentioned differences between these models.

I will try the iV vRS PHEV tomorrow night and report back.

The differences really are tiny. The ride height is the same with or without DCC

One niggle is that here, the grey RS stitching is extra as only available with electric seats in a 2k extra pack. I would prefer the grey over the red but not for all that coin.

I have them down to just 2k eur difference. And that means AFAIK 2k to swap badges, the tiny front and rear styling differences, remap and the red brakes. Are the brakes even the same?

Let me know about your thoughts on the RS iV. I'll be getting the red sportline on friday to ease my waiting :)

Remember that seats are the thing you're using the car. So try to sit on the better seats and perhaps leave something else out.

I might have more information when i've driven the sportline. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, timster said:

Let me know about your thoughts on the RS iV. I'll be getting the red sportline on friday to ease my waiting :)

Remember that seats are the thing you're using the car. So try to sit on the better seats and perhaps leave something else out.

I might have more information when i've driven the sportline. 

Well, I had the vRS PHEV for an hour last night to compare to the Sportline I had over the weekend.

Both had DCC and I think both had 18” rims. Both also had the same... everything else. The seats were the same. The vRS had the red stitching and dash fabric. But same seats and very similar material.

The electric engine, same. 

Even though I love the vRS badge, it is impossible for me to justify the 3k extra for the vRS when the only significant difference is the petrol engine remap.

And IMHO, that power difference is heavily masked in real world use because of the way the electric engine boost interacts with the ICE when you rapidly accelerate in hybrid mode. That kinda jerky delay you get as the electric boost comes in before the ICE power means the extra power is not responsive. My guess is 99/100 people could not pick out the difference between these in a blind test.

In the end I am a bit confused why these are do close in price yet so far apart. Is the Sportline overpriced (like the Volvo R you pay to dechrome) or is it the vRS that is overpriced (it’s a lot of extra cash on top of ICE vRS pricing to not have the 2.0 litre engine)...?

On 24/10/2021 at 15:48, Greezy56 said:

The VRS has independent suspension on the petrol version , not sure on phev , the sportline maybe has torsion beam. The petrol has an electronic diff, don't think you get that in the PHEV

The vRS PHEV and Sportline PHEV have the same susp, bar and diff.