Vehicle can be locked with door open.

Toolie

I am new to Skoda and have had the Karoq for about 1 month.

On a trip to Scotland there were a couple of issues which thankfully have rest and not repeated.

First was MFD froze and the second was Emergency Call went off line.

More recently I 'locked' the car, not realising a door was wide open.

The car seemed to lock normally without any warning sounds.

I discovered the issue the following morning - the door having beed open all night.

I have not spoken to a dealer yet - wanted to hear from the community first.

Regards

• john999boy changed the title to Vehicle can be locked with door open.

Surely, the doors can't actually lock until they are closed, and then when they are closed the car will signal the doors are locked. On my ancient yeti, pressing the remote lock with the doors open does exactly that. One can potentially lock the keys in the car because of the delay. It would be nice to know that the remote lock had been pressed, though personally I would prefer the remote lock not to work unless the doors are closed. Perhaps it is an option?

Perhaps on the Karoq there is a signal from the car that the car has received a lock request, which is in addition to the car signalling when the doors lock. The signals would have to be different, or there would be no point in having both.

Maybe @agedbriar and @notyeti can re-test if they are able to lock the car with the driver's door open?

I agree if any other door is open and the driver's door is closed then the car should lock the closed doors plus the remaining doors when they are shut.

It could be there are slight differences across the VAG range.

I'll try my theory on my other car tomorrow.

I seem to recall that the car would not lock if a key was left inside even if it was the second spare key in wife's bag.

The poweredboot also would not close if a key is in the boot? I could not get it to go down and then realised a key was in a bag in the boot?

As far as i know the emergency call system relies on the inbuilt SIM card in the car. Up here in Scotland there are some blackspots (especially in the Highlands) where mobile signal drops out completely so my guess is that you entered the twilight zone temporarily. I assume it came back on green at some point later?

Checked mine today and agree with john999boy that provided the driver's door is closed then the car will 'lock' even if all other doors are open. If the driver's door is open then the car will not 'lock'.

Thanks to all that responded.

My car seems to lock in the same way as other users' cars do.

I had expected that there would be a warning that a door was open at the time of pressing the lock button.

Regards

I did some tests too.  Same result, doors will only lock if the drivers door is closed.  All the closed doors lock.  There is  a clonk as they lock.  I tried with the drivers door closed and  boot open, the lights flashed when the boot closed and locked.  I thought I was being methodical when I started the test - but I didn't think about two doors being open,  What happens then?  Do the lights only flash when both doors are closed?  Also I wasn't patient enough to test the time delay.  My guess it is 15 seconds - then what happens?  Do all the doors unlock, or does the finally closed door still lock, or does it close and stay unlocked? (why 15 seconds?  That is how long you get after pressing the remote to to unlock the doors before opening a door.  It might just play a  role in locking too - who knows?)

No clonk if the drivers door open when lock is pressed, so  that is some feedback that nothing locked.

I was concerned about locking keys in the car, done this twice, both times in the US.  Perhaps cars in the US are set up differently? I seem to recall they are often set up to require a double press to unlock all the doors, more often not the default option in the UK.

Both times Fairly disastrous. Once with a 5 year locked in, and all the emergency hooters going off. (I  think we managed to get him to crawl into the boot and pull the hostage release lever!)   Once to a hertz hire car with the engine running (only one set of keys of course), took about an hour to get assistance from a locksmith.   Should be an interlock between running engine and key initiated locking? 

I did two experiments. Left one pair of keys in the boot, and locked with the other, with the boot open, and then closed the boot. (you know, get out, close the drivers door, open the boot, put the keys down for some reason, and then close the boot forgetting about the keys). SO the other test, I used  the same keys, and tossed them into the open boot.

Result, car locked both times.  Keys locked in the car.Luckily a different set of keys can unlock the car.

My conclusion,: car companies need to employ dumber designers, who get things wrong 🙂