Octavia Estate PHEV % read out on Dash giving a False read out

Hi J caff    

No it  comes up with 23 to 25  range  after a full charge.. It used to be 33 to36.      Mileage test=  22 actual  road miles... A month ago I used to be able to go daily  12 miles to an airfield and back (25)    and still have almost 10 miles of charge left...  Now even on a warm sunny day I am on petrol on the way back 3 miles short as no power left...22 miles.

al

56 minutes ago, Biggles33 said:

Hi J caff    

No it  comes up with 23 to 25  range  after a full charge.. It used to be 33 to36.      Mileage test=  22 actual  road miles... A month ago I used to be able to go daily  12 miles to an airfield and back (25)    and still have almost 10 miles of charge left...  Now even on a warm sunny day I am on petrol on the way back 3 miles short as no power left...22 miles.

al

Is the reserve slider at 0%

10 hours ago, Biggles33 said:

Hi J caff    

al

If your signature location of Aberdeen is accurate how on earth can you have a 'warm sunny day' in November? Well anywhere in the UK really at this time of year :) 

Is your car garaged? Is the garage heated?

If left outside then the batteries are more likely to still be at the overnight temperature than the daytime temperature when you drive.

If you have climate control which is just left on permanently set at say 22 deg C then the amount of battery drain not only depends on outside temperature but also humidity as the system may be trying to heat the air and also run the aircon to 'dry' the air. That is a double whammy regarding battery drain which would have huge effect.

Judging by the fact that other hybrid owners are reporting similar range issues with cooler weather I am pretty sure you do not have a problem. It is just a logical characteristic of an EV in different environmental conditions, driver comfort requirements and current battery technology.

Of course if the range does not improve in the Summer then you may well indeed have a problem.

Gerry    Actually   we did have in the last month two exceptionally very warm days in Aberdeen...  Thank you...Think I will end it here as I take on all your points and hope in Summer it improves?Thank you all 

al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Biggles33,

I have a similar issue where I have noted the drop off in predicted miles in recent weeks after an over night charge. I used to get between 28 and 31 miles predicted after a 4 hour overnight charge (taking advantage of off peak rates with a certain multi limbed supplier) using home supply from the 3 pin plug, this dropped to between 22 and 24 miles  in recent weeks and in reality is delivering about 20 miles.

My average daily commuting is around 22 miles.

Previous setup - minimum battery charge was at 0%, I think this worked for me in the spring/summer as in the majority of cases I would have about 25% of battery charge remaining, prior to an overnight 4 hr charge. However, with the cold weather my actual ev miles are dropping off and I would be at or close to 0% battery charge prior to 4 hr overnight charge. Therefore not having sufficient time to properly charge the battery to optimum levels. Noting it can take up to 5.5hrs to fully charge the battery.

Yesterday I upped the minimum charge level to 20% and achieved a predicted 26 miles this morning, a 10% improvement. Today I am setting the minimum charge level to 30%, hopefully this will see a further increase in predicted miles. Watch this space?

26 minutes ago, AndyT60 said:

Hi Biggles33,

I have a similar issue where I have noted the drop off in predicted miles in recent weeks after an over night charge. I used to get between 28 and 31 miles predicted after a 4 hour overnight charge (taking advantage of off peak rates with a certain multi limbed supplier) using home supply from the 3 pin plug, this dropped to between 22 and 24 miles  in recent weeks and in reality is delivering about 20 miles.

My average daily commuting is around 22 miles.

Previous setup - minimum battery charge was at 0%, I think this worked for me in the spring/summer as in the majority of cases I would have about 25% of battery charge remaining, prior to an overnight 4 hr charge. However, with the cold weather my actual ev miles are dropping off and I would be at or close to 0% battery charge prior to 4 hr overnight charge. Therefore not having sufficient time to properly charge the battery to optimum levels. Noting it can take up to 5.5hrs to fully charge the battery.

Yesterday I upped the minimum charge level to 20% and achieved a predicted 26 miles this morning, a 10% improvement. Today I am setting the minimum charge level to 30%, hopefully this will see a further increase in predicted miles. Watch this space?

I don't mean to sound rude but i'm not really sure what your point is? You know the range will drop off in the winter so you're simply telling us that you're now charging the car to 20% as soon as you plug it in ( This is what the Minimum charge level does) and then you're charging the rest during off peak?  This obviously makes sense from a cost point of view,  but if you were setting the "minimum charge level" to 0% then you were only charging your car for 4 hours on a 3 pin, this is why you're seeing a drop in range, because the battery isn't full. 

Also keep in mind that the "minimum charge level" only works if you have a planner set, if you don't, it does nothing. 

If you're really concerned about the range, try using a different temp requests.

Winters with 22c requested takes a lot of juice from the battery, especially when for the first few miles.

The heater is about 5-6kW, which is about the same as electric Sauna. It's demand will go down when the temperature inside the car starts getting up.

When the battery is cold and the heater wants to get he's hands on the battery it immediately drops your range. Your battery is about 10kWh, so you can do the math. Also since the battery is cold, its cant give you that much energy, since the cells are frozen. 

One thing you could also try, is to charge the car to 100% right before you leave. This heats up the battery a little. 

Our 2nd car, is a Seat Mii electric. On summers it can get 300km with full charge. Winters its about half. Really depends on  how much it needs heating.

2 hours ago, timster said:

If you're really concerned about the range, try using a different temp requests.

Winters with 22c requested takes a lot of juice from the battery, especially when for the first few miles.

The heater is about 5-6kW, which is about the same as electric Sauna. It's demand will go down when the temperature inside the car starts getting up.

When the battery is cold and the heater wants to get he's hands on the battery it immediately drops your range. Your battery is about 10kWh, so you can do the math. Also since the battery is cold, its cant give you that much energy, since the cells are frozen. 

One thing you could also try, is to charge the car to 100% right before you leave. This heats up the battery a little. 

Our 2nd car, is a Seat Mii electric. On summers it can get 300km with full charge. Winters its about half. Really depends on  how much it needs heating.

I agree 100% I only have a short spin to work and back and even though it's very cold I started turning off the heater during these trips and I've noticed a massive improvement in battery range.

Hi Beasty54,

You are not being rude, but adding some insight, no offence taken.

My understanding is that the original concern raised by Biggles 33, was related to his forecast battery mileage which after a full charge at night  has recently dropped of significantly. It is this issue I am trying to address with my example.

I have/had the same issue. As you seem to have gathered I use the planner, and charge on a nightly basis. During the milder weather I more often than not started the charge cycle (after my daily 20-22 miles commute) with 25% of unused battery charge, worth approx 8 miles. So the 4 hrs was enough to fully charge the battery and I used to get a 30-32 mile forecast after charging, despite setting the minimum battery charge level to 0%.

Now that the cold weather is here and despite the same daily commute, I am finding that my battery is depleted before the start of the night charge cycle, so as you and I have noted this would and has led to a drop off in the forecast mileage by approx 30% after a 4 hr night charge, i.e. not enough time to fully charge the battery (although the battery indicator on the dash shows full). That is the point you made and I was trying to make.

For clarity, my response is not trying to address the forecast miles over actual miles achieved, which will be due to many variables and will reduce in the winter anyway, but why the sudden reduction in the forecast battery mileage after his night time charge without any apparent reason. I was trying to demonstrate that my example could be a possible cause for his drop off in the forecast miles and if that is the case my solution may also provide the solution for him or not?

I have my fingers crossed that by increasing my minimum battery charge level today to 30%  will get me back to a circa 30-32 miles forecast after a 4hr night charge.

I hope I haven’t over complicated this.

• Love it! 1

On 09/11/2021 at 14:40, Biggles33 said:

The readout on the Dash showing miles left in the battery is reading low...  The Mileage above showing petrol miles is correct,   even the side % charge is correct,   but the miles on electric is wrong..   After a full charge the side % is correct and the Dash should be 33 miles of stored charge but its usually showing  22 to 25  miles left..     Anyone had this problem?

FFS, I would worry more about tomorrows sunrise.

• Love it! 1
  • Cheeky 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys its been a long 2 years as had to wait till they opened a service dept for Batteries in Stirling 2.20 hours drive from me.   Had loads of issues with being put to the bottom of the list for getting a fuse recall and them looking at my loss of mileage.. (Won't go into it as it would take too long)  .

I bought the Octavia having been told it would give 34 miles on a charge.   After six months and a breakdown it went down to 24 miles.  

So have been fighting Skoda since then. Today...  Went to the local dealer who charged it on a fast charge,   with a more powerful charger,    and the car read  30 miles in this warm day read out.   Still 4 miles short.  

I did get easily 34 to37 plus  for six months before the break down. 

So it would appear Skoda and the various You Tube experts claimed 33...  That is why a bought it..... So looking at the future if I were to buy another Octavia Hybrid is it worth it? 

Customer services were good thanks to a young girl called Shama,     but in reality nobody offered any solution to the loss of mileage on a 13 amp charge..  I know I live in Scotland but the weather is not below zero all year...

So not sure what my next move would be  re sticking with Skoda.. Love the Octavia,   but feel somebody lied to me and feel  let down with the hassle with Skoda,     selling a Hybrid with zero workshops or trained technicians  to work on these batteries for over a year.  

al

Edited by Biggles33

Like I said when this thread was started, you really do have to forget those estimated miles that the car tells you, it's just not accurate. Just think about the journeys you make, I was getting 35+ on warmer days when driving routes that were almost all straight roads. Your driving could be stopping and starting, up and down hills, roundabouts and junctions everywhere, there's a million and one factors to take into account when comparing to others. 

I got rid of mine in July last year, it was the worst car I've ever owned in terms of the overall software. Since then I've had a Tesla model Y for a few months and if the predicted mileage on the Octavia is annoying you this much, you'd have had a nervous breakdown watching the numbers on the Tesla. Some mornings I'd go out to see 317 at 100% and some mornings i'd see 291, it really is just an estimate and it always ended up doing about 300 miles. All that matters is the actual mileage you get and from what you've said, it really doesn't sound like anything is wrong. 

I'm now back in an old skool Leon Cupra with an ICE only, I can't be bothered with the hassle of some of these new platforms at the moment. 

• Like 1

I have a Superb iV and with the shocking rise in electricity prices since I bought it I'm strongly considering going back to diesel. Mine is supposed to do 50Km per charge, not a hope in hell. It's summer and I can just about squeeze 40Km out of it, in winter it barely does 25Km. Road noise is dreadful and the heater is non existent. Think I've had it with electric power tbh.

• Like 1

@Biggles33I was up to Ellon this morning.

Electric Corsa with a full battery & showing 196 mile range.  that is 45 kWh usable battery, so it was guessing at 4.35 miles to the kWh. 

(That was after a few hot days of local slow trips.)

Colder than i expected this morning and at the speed allowed on the A90 and into Aberdeen and then onto Brewdog.   

I was getting 2.7 miles per kWh to the Brig 0 Dee, then out by Bridge of Don i did get 3.1 miles per kWh.   76 miles had used 60% of the battery. 

I charged rapid for 29 minutes at Tesco and then topped right up free at Brewdog. 

After lunch and it was warmed up with the sun out & i was getting around 4 miles a kWh but then i was tootering aboot. 

Next charge was to near full and i have been a bit spirited and got 2.5 miles to the kWh,

and am sitting with it showing 19% & 24 mile range.  Just away to start charging it. 

I was using up the last of my Credit on PodPoint because i am done with EV's and going to use my petrol or diesel cars as i have had the best of 'Cheap or Free charging.  Aberdeenshire too expensive now at 47 pence a kWh on rapids & Angus went up today from 23 pence to 41 pence a kWh on any council chargers.

Highland Council is just ridiculous now @70 pence a kWh on Rapids.

DSCN2853.JPG.74fce98a587899fc8cb2f321b664fd46.jpeg

DSCN2900.JPG

DSCN2901.JPG

Edited by toot

12 hours ago, Biggles33 said:

Hi Guys its been a long 2 years as had to wait till they opened a service dept for Batteries in Stirling 2.20 hours drive from me.   Had loads of issues with being put to the bottom of the list for getting a fuse recall and them looking at my loss of mileage.. (Won't go into it as it would take too long)  .

I bought the Octavia having been told it would give 34 miles on a charge.   After six months and a breakdown it went down to 24 miles.  

So have been fighting Skoda since then. Today...  Went to the local dealer who charged it on a fast charge,   with a more powerful charger,    and the car read  30 miles in this warm day read out.   Still 4 miles short.  

I did get easily 34 to37 plus  for six months before the break down. 

So it would appear Skoda and the various You Tube experts claimed 33...  That is why a bought it..... So looking at the future if I were to buy another Octavia Hybrid is it worth it? 

Customer services were good thanks to a young girl called Shama,     but in reality nobody offered any solution to the loss of mileage on a 13 amp charge..  I know I live in Scotland but the weather is not below zero all year...

So not sure what my next move would be  re sticking with Skoda.. Love the Octavia,   but feel somebody lied to me and feel  let down with the hassle with Skoda,     selling a Hybrid with zero workshops or trained technicians  to work on these batteries for over a year.  

al

My electric mileage readout doesn't seem super accurate - I think looking at % charge is far better. I've ended journeys with more miles than I started.  Indeed the petrol one is not much better. 

Overall I think 33 miles is a decent estimate of where things are for electric only range of the Octavia in my experience. Hills, speed and traffic mean I have some journeys where that is optimistic and in the winter running heaters etc....

If you were able to make it there and back on electric in similar conditions before and now can't unless something is wrong with charger/battery not clear why that's the case. I wouldn't however give a jot what the electric readout says. 

Thank you guys for the info.. Flyingscot,   Just for info I am not getting 33 at all..  I did get 37...    With a 5.hour 20min  full charge off the 13amp  I get 24 to 27...   Skoda should just say the range is 100 miles as all dealers and Skoda staff I have talked to dismiss the 33 miles and you should just expect 24....   So why did I buy a car that will not give the glossy range that Skoda and reviewers gave it.....

If I go for a new Skoda I do not see any point in going for the latest 40 mile claim..   as it won't do that due to ambient temp, wear and tear etc etc..   

Thank you again for all the advice ..Sadly may have to look at a petrol or other manufacturer  which is sad as I love the Octavia..

al 

20 hours ago, Biggles33 said:

Thank you guys for the info.. Flyingscot,   Just for info I am not getting 33 at all..  I did get 37...    With a 5.hour 20min  full charge off the 13amp  I get 24 to 27...   Skoda should just say the range is 100 miles as all dealers and Skoda staff I have talked to dismiss the 33 miles and you should just expect 24....   So why did I buy a car that will not give the glossy range that Skoda and reviewers gave it.....

If I go for a new Skoda I do not see any point in going for the latest 40 mile claim..   as it won't do that due to ambient temp, wear and tear etc etc..   

Thank you again for all the advice ..Sadly may have to look at a petrol or other manufacturer  which is sad as I love the Octavia..

al 

43 miles is the WLTP standard test range which all cars get tested to, so Skoda will quote that like other manufacturers do for EV range. Like quoted MPGs for petrol and diesel cars, in real world driving with a number of variables, this is often a hard figure to achieve. Indeed WhatCar magazine tested 10 EVs at Millbrook and all had a shortfall on quoted range - https://www.whatcar.com/news/range-test-how-far-can-electric-cars-really-go/n24836. This is likely why a dealers will say things like "expect 24 miles" as they want to make people aware of real life range. 

Nevertheless, if you were doing 25 miles EV driving in the car in the past and getting back with plenty of charge left, but now can't achieve the same journey on EV in similar conditions then that seems strange.