the truth about electric cars

310golfr

6 hours ago, Ootohere said:

How often do you hear 'i can not believe my own eyes',  or 'I can not believe i did that'. 

Just sayings.  But anyway, believe or believe not any damn thing you like. 

Some do not even believe things their nearest or dearest tell them so why would they believe someone they have never meet or maybe even heard of before they read or heard something from them.

They, as in everyone is at it, or not at it.  'Believe me'.  

I see a lot of people who said one thing and tried to force others to either say the same thing, or have any contrary opinion deleted, now saying the opposite and quietly deleting what they said before.

It's all good, this is just for banter and froth.

Nobody looks to Brisky for an opinion on anything other than Skoda-related stuff, thank heavens! 👍

On 08/05/2024 at 14:34, Ootohere said:

There are EV drivers that could not care less about overstay charged be that £10 or 30 or £1 a minute they just charge until they are returning or maybe u till full. This has 29 % to go and is already 15 minutes over max charging time.    50 kW charger. 

20240508_142559_66b88248.jpg

20240508_142533_b43ac737.jpg

Means-tested overstay charges will sort that problem out. 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Damn expensive local council chargers. 

But then those with the more expensive EV,s might stay in houses with the highest council tax, and might even be higher tax payers.

But then again if you know who it is with the cars you know there is no 'might' about the houses. 

Edited by Ootohere

On 06/05/2024 at 17:44, Graham Butcher said:

I had thought that there would class lawsuits being brought against makers of EV cars because of the claimed ranges not being achievable between charges

There were talks of cars not hitting economy figures provided by manufacturer. It was said that claimed range "not being achievable".

This person drove MG4 long range 292 miles with 9% to spare, averaged 38 mph including congestion in central London:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/mg4-beats-its-range-estimates-yet-again.184816/

MG4 long range is quoted to have 280 miles WLTP range:

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1708/MG-MG4-EV-Long-Range

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

There were talks of cars not hitting economy figures provided by manufacturer. It was said that claimed range "not being achievable".

This person drove MG4 long range 292 miles with 9% to spare, averaged 38 mph including congestion in central London:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/mg4-beats-its-range-estimates-yet-again.184816/

MG4 long range is quoted to have 280 miles WLTP range:

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1708/MG-MG4-EV-Long-Range

I can't say that I'm surprised by this at all, it's my understanding that an EV can often do this kind of feat, if not always beating the range estimates, but nearing them, in city traffic in warmer weather because of all the re-gen that is occurring in such conditions?

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.4c026fa6be535afae83a20c5f5d6fa77.JPG

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Really it is the EU and the WLTP that is the nonsense.

Not actually Worldwide Harmonised Vehicle Test Procedures that might relate to driving vehicles in places on roads to anything other than to how a WLTP regime has a vehicle driven.   Not real world use.

Plenty people can drive an BEV in a manner to get the figures given.   But that does need ideal conditions, and much of a lack of speed. 

If the cars can not do the EPA range,

or what might be given as the range in South Korea or other world regions then there might well be court actions in those global regions.

PS

BEV Cars or Vans starting as default in Normal Mode, Mid Mode or what ever might well not be as a driver then drives.

Just as with an ICE vehicle that has Stop / Start on and the driver turns Stop / Start off for their Town / City / Urban Driving. 

Then starting BEV,s the Regen might well be as a default at Max and the driver changes that.

PPS

Given today's weather and i have the tyre pressures high or the narrower option tyres i could head out now with a full battery and exceed the WLTP Range for the Mini Electric.

If i could be bothered doing the 145 miles in around or over 3 1/2 hours and not just 3 hours.

He does not have the heating off. It shows as at 16*oC on the heater nobs. He has the AC off.  There would be - -  on the heater if in GREEN+.

So he is in GREEN mode or he said he selected that. He could be in GREEN + and then the Heating and AC would be off and performance reduced but you can still do 70 mph.

You can still do 93 mph.

There is SPORT , MID, GREEN & GREEN +. 

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

Maybe the nonsense is people expecting to achieve the figures all the time?

I take them as "Comparison"

The  figure achieved by vehicles under the same parameters and conditions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

I've never got close to WLTP (or other methodology) MPG figures in my ICE vehicles, so why would I as a rational person, expect to achieve them in BEV? The nonsense is the people who overlook this when assessing BEVs and concluding they are rubbish as they don't meet WLTP 'in the real world' but conveniently forget their diesel does not do 70mpg 'in the real world'. Like Stonekeeper, I use them as a comparison tool.

• Like 2

Exactly, it's a comparison tool. To suggest possible law suits for not achieving rated consumption/range is also ...........

On 06/05/2024 at 17:44, Graham Butcher said:

I had thought that there would class lawsuits being brought against makers of EV cars because of the claimed ranges not being achievable between charges

• Like 1

We can all use them as a comparison. 

Also comparisons when it was pre WLTP, and cheating went on.

But @Luckypants while you might never match or better the comparison figures in a petrol or diesel there are others that can as they did with the NEDC, and they were done on rolling roads.   Tyres over inflated, maybe VW group diluting the Diesels engine oil with diesel. etc etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Exactly, it's a comparison tool. To suggest possible law suits for not achieving rated consumption/range is also ...........

Yes, when I said that it was because many of the BEV buyers are not car people at all and many seem to think that the air is actually bad when it is not. Many people it seems can be gullible, and it's those people I was thinking of. The very people who would be swayed or devious enough to process a claim through many of these companies pushing diesel compensating claims. I have not or would not press a claim, I knew what I was doing when I opted for a diesel powered car, but many just follow like sheep and do whatever the current political thinking is at the time that they purchased the car.

Edited by Graham Butcher

Plenty idiots seem to think a Hybrid is an electric car.   They can be amazingly efficient, if driven efficiently.

PHEV,s are the absolute kidology vehicle for many.   But then can be perfect for those running within the battery range on cheap tariff or free to them electric.

The Internal combustion engines of the VW group models require Fixed Service Regime Oil & Filter changes though.  Engines that might occasionally over a year fire up and run for a few miles only. 

Exactly, most drivers don't have a clue about their cars other than it works or not when they drive it, 😂

Some VW engines are on variable service intervals, so not all on time/miles servicing. 

@Graham Butcher  In the EU they all leave the factory on Variable / Flexible Service Regimes, 24 months /18,000-20,000 miles, any change is done to fixed at the PDI.

That is other than the 1.4 TSI or 1.5 TSI in the PHEV,s.   The Citigo / Mii / Up! also were on Fixed Service Oil & Filter changes. Maybe the TSI in the UP! was on Variable. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@Graham Butcher  In the EU they all leave the factory on Variable / Flexible Service Regimes, 24 months /18,000-20,000 miles, any change is done to fixed at the PDI.

That is other than the 1.4 TSI or 1.5 TSI in the PHEV,s.   The Citigo / Mii / Up! also were on Fixed Service Oil & Filter changes. Maybe the TSI in the UP! was on Variable. 

I have had Passats that were on variable plans. They have also just readjusted the timing belt to be 130,000 miles, so maybe the service intervals have also been revised.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

It is not about plans.

That is what has Dealerships changing vehicles from Variable to Fixed.  Because there is a Service Plan, or a Maintenance Plan for the Owner, or the Fleet or whatever.

It is the OIl & Filter Service that is on Variable other than with the ones i just posted about.

Servicing and Maintenance Schedules / Plans are that Servicing & Maintenance, consumables, adjustments. Much of which never done.   

An Oil & Filter change might be just that, and some look sees. 

Fixed Regimes as were.

Used to be Minor / Major, time about, then became called by Skoda Interim / Major.  Then 2018 this turned up with the Oil Change, and cheaper.

When on Variable / Flexible & first Service was at 2 years people were ripped off charged for a MAJOR Service when it was a Interim / Minor only but with a pollen filter change.  (The Cambelt stuff 5 year / 50,000 miles was the UK being treated different from the rest of the EU / Europe.)

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.31ad183d3a521d4fac7343de068c47fc.jpeg

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg.936687ec374d1d3977085ff663c699f3.jpg

442161726_Screenshot2022-06-2612_37_23.jpg.c359446c95dd91a2e211696f8a5ed065.jpg

2078612176_Screenshot2022-06-2611_15_32.jpg.90822a70d0f3476b6acf91d9fa0ea53b.jpg

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The timing belts used to be 5 years, that has now changed. Water pumps also used to changed when doing the timing belt, that too has been changed and according to my Skoda garage is still recommended to replaced when doing the belt, or as required.

I asked the garage if that timing belt was only for the newer models, but was told no, my MK3 is included in the revision. 

Edited by Graham Butcher

2 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

5 years / 50,000 miles.  As i said,  UK unique.  Dust free country.   But then the Water Pumps were and still can be ****e. 

That used to UK specific, but is not any more, it is purely on mileage of 130,000. Things have all changed now.

• Groan 1

Posted (edited)

@OotohereThanks for the correction to 180,000 miles, so I gain an extra 50,000 miles, assuming I'm still here and still have the same car and able to drive 🤣, still. 

That being said, I was quoting what I recalled that my Skoda service garage told me, which is fair enough to assume is the right source?

My belt and water pump was replaced 6,000 miles ago so I should be OK for another 14 years or so👍

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

There were posts here this week of failing belts.  Belts are for life not just for Christmas, but then when they fail, life is over.

If only Tensioners were also as long lived as belts.  If only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf, the world would be in a tight state. 

• Haha 1

The EU want to do the same because they want to be Green but forgot that they actually do not have the Materials for Batteries and even building cars from within the EU or Europe, 

or the bit of Europe that Putin does not control or is trying to take over.

Then as it is they do not have enough of the energy in the way of Gas, Oil or Electricity to run the factories or the vehicles already on the roads without it coming from outwith the EU. 

China and much cheapness products has been suiting customers but obviously not Manufacturers in the EU and the Governments that these hugely wealthy industries have spent spent spent on pretending to be green. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

The EU want to do the same because they want to be Green but forgot that they actually do not have the Materials for Batteries and even building cars from within the EU or Europe, 

or the bit of Europe that Putin does not control or is trying to take over.

Then as it is they do not have enough of the energy in the way of Gas, Oil or Electricity to run the factories or the vehicles already on the roads without it coming from outwith the EU. 

China and much cheapness products has been suiting customers but obviously not Manufacturers in the EU and the Governments that these hugely wealthy industries have spent spent spent on pretending to be green. 

Interesting how "We're literally boiling the planet!!!" is somehow less of an issue when there are jobs at risk in an election year. 😄

Apparently we are NOT in an existential crisis after all. Who knew, eh?

• Like 3
  • Groan 1