12V Car accessory socket/cigarette lighter port is always on and Dash Cam

Hi Guys,

I am driving my third Octavia (In my signature) now and one thing always makes me wonder is 12V socket. It has always power even though car is switched off, I am sure everybody knows about it, which is very unusual. Anyway, my question is something about Dash Cam. Is it alright if i leave dash cam connected in that socket or I should turn the camera off. I am not worried about battery being drained out, rather I am worried dash cam can get faulty for constant recording round the clock. Recently I bought a Nextbase Duo dash cam from halford and its behaing weird. Camera was refurb just to let you guys know. Previously I had another Dash Cam (azdome) bought from ebay. the one lasted 10months. in summer time i even couldn't touch the camera as it used to get super hot. Now I am trying to return the Nextbase duo to halfords and still looking for another good one.

Could somebody advise me what is the best way to use the dash cam. I was thinking to have the parking mode effective I should have the camera connected to the power all the time. also if anybody can recommend any good dual camera dash cam based on your experience please. thank you.

1 hour ago, StevesTruck said:

The cigarette lighter normally runs all the time on VAG cars.

My Mk1 Fabia does this and I've always found it odd since I've never been in or had a car that did this (first VAG car in my immediate family). Good to know though. :)

10 hours ago, automass said:

Hi Guys,

I am driving my third Octavia (In my signature) now and one thing always makes me wonder is 12V socket. It has always power even though car is switched off, I am sure everybody knows about it, which is very unusual. Anyway, my question is something about Dash Cam. Is it alright if i leave dash cam connected in that socket or I should turn the camera off. I am not worried about battery being drained out, rather I am worried dash cam can get faulty for constant recording round the clock. Recently I bought a Nextbase Duo dash cam from halford and its behaing weird. Camera was refurb just to let you guys know. Previously I had another Dash Cam (azdome) bought from ebay. the one lasted 10months. in summer time i even couldn't touch the camera as it used to get super hot. Now I am trying to return the Nextbase duo to halfords and still looking for another good one.

Could somebody advise me what is the best way to use the dash cam. I was thinking to have the parking mode effective I should have the camera connected to the power all the time. also if anybody can recommend any good dual camera dash cam based on your experience please. thank you.

I used an OBD cable it switches on/off with the ignition and has a parking switch module that monitors battery charge and auto-turns off to save flattening the battery.   Rearguard from Amazon

Does it have the latest software update? my new nextbase needed 2 updates.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Confused 1

On 26/11/2021 at 08:43, gumdrop said:

I used an OBD cable it switches on/off with the ignition and has a parking switch module that monitors battery charge and auto-turns off to save flattening the battery.   Rearguard from Amazon

Does it have the latest software update? my new nextbase needed 2 updates.

Hi,

I have OBD11. would it be possible to do the change with this? Could you tell me more details about this adaptation. I ordered a duo dashcam for £70 but still didnt receive it. I updated nextbase duo's firmware to the latest but still became faulty.

13 minutes ago, automass said:

Hi,

I have OBD11. would it be possible to do the change with this? Could you tell me more details about this adaptation. I ordered a duo dashcam for £70 but still didnt receive it. I updated nextbase duo's firmware to the latest but still became faulty.

I only went on the information supplied by the manufacturer,  on Amazon.

The cable I used was called Rear Guard, I had a problem with my first cable

but there was no bother they refunded straight away . I ran the dash cam 

updates and bought the same make of ODB cable again and it worked!

Dash Cam is a Nextbase 312GW

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, automass said:

I have OBD11. would it be possible to do the change with this? Could you tell me more details about this adaptation.

It's not changeable by coding or adaptation, to change it you need to remove the relevant fuse in the fusebox and replace it with a piggyback fuse adapter into a switched fuse positon.

That or as @gumdropsays use a hardware adapter that plugs into the OBD socket under the dash.

• Like 1

I am sorry, I have called it Rearguard which is wrong.

It is the Rearmaster Switchable  universal OBD cable

CHECK that the usb plug is suitable for your brand

of Dash Cam, for instance my cam is mini usb.

From Amazon, it may be available from other retailers.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 08:24, gumdrop said:

I am sorry, I have called it Rearguard which is wrong.

It is the Rearmaster Switchable  universal OBD cable

CHECK that the usb plug is suitable for your brand

of Dash Cam, for instance my cam is mini usb.

From Amazon, it may be available from other retailers.

I got what you mean now. you are powering your dash cam from OBD port. But I don't think it's a good idea. I need to do some more research on it. I appreciate your sharing though.

12 hours ago, automass said:

I got what you mean now. you are powering your dash cam from OBD port. But I don't think it's a good idea. I need to do some more research on it. I appreciate your sharing though.

The OBD plug is fine it only has two or three pins, pin4 for ground, pin5 for signal,pin16 for power supply it affects nothing else.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1