Cigarette port always on, can I change it?

mfizz

I am looking for solutions. I have recently installed a DashCam which I was hoping would be powered by the cigarette lighter but since it's always on, it's not ideal, I only want it on when the car is driving. Although the ability for it to stay on even after the car is off does have it merits in supermarket car parks.

I use the android auto quite often so cannot use that to power all the time.. can I buy a usb dual port and the android auto would work still?

Alternatively my least preferred option is tapping a fuse. Which fuse should one tap? Does anyone have a kit they can recommend that creates a usb a port?

if u want the dashcam powered only while the car is on, then u should power it from the fuse panel by piggy backing of a switched fuse location.

i used the rear wiper #47 (rear window wiper) to power my dashcam.  this location is not permanently on.

with regards to using a usb dual port  - i highly doubt android auto will not continue to work through an add-on usb port.

I use a 12 extension. Has a load of sockets and USBs with an on/off button on top. Just need to remember to turn it on/off when required. Gives the flexibility to keep it on I a carpark but off when parked at home/work.

DO NOT run the wires by just tucking them into the A pillar! So many people make this mistake and I’m forever correcting it on cars I work on. 
The reason being, there is a curtain airbag that runs above your head and down the A pillar, this is made to deploy in a set way, when you run the wires straight over the top of it you are preventing it from doing its job In an accident.

The A pillar trim is very easy to remove and you should run the wires behind the airbag then down the original loom and behind the dash this way.

Edited by ColinD
Thread lines cleaning up
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 21:09, ApertureS said:

DO NOT run the wires by just tucking them into the A pillar! So many people make this mistake and I’m forever correcting it on cars I work on. 
The reason being, there is a curtain airbag that runs above your head and down the A pillar, this is made to deploy in a set way, when you run the wires straight over the top of it you are preventing it from doing its job In an accident.

The A pillar trim is very easy to remove and you should run the wires behind the airbag then down the original loom and behind the dash this way.

100% this - make sure u remove the A-pillar trim and tuck the cable with the existing wiring loom behind the airbag, like my pic below.

The easy way is to tuck behind the A-pillar trim, but then the curtain airbag will fail to deploy properly.

Do it properly, even though it's more of an effort, and pain.

2003569854_Screenshot_20211130-2210062.thumb.png.faf452657b4ad8dcbb3881c3cb04e686.png

Edited by ColinD
Tidying topic lines up
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Here due to reports. Reviewing the posts, I think it's fair to say both are right/valid for different reasons. 

However one has to consider my skills vs the skills of someone else.  Knowing my luck I'd drop the wire in front of the airbag, you may not @SkudMissile21 but others may. So a note of warning is fair, saying do not, might be too far. For as you have noted different people have different skills. That's how I've read it all and I'm sure @ApertureS would concur. End of the day, it all it's an owners choice and being made aware of the risks is fair.

The role of the forums is of course to promote discussion and exchange points of view, knowledge and information. In that sense this thread has done that.

We won't all agree and we won't all think the others view isn't right, discuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1