Sump gasket leaking into fuel pressure sensor blowing fuse 4

sapf0

So this pig a car I’ve recently had has been blowing fuse 4 (engine side). I had an auto electrician come out and trace this back to a leaking sump gasket dripping onto (I think) was the fuel pressure sensor/regulator. (Can anyone confirm this is lower than the sump gasket?)

Anyway, he cleaned it off, and it worked fine for a few hundred mile. He said the leak needs doing as it’ll happen again. The problem being over Xmas it’s hard to get a thing done ain’t it.

So, is the sump gasket a huge job? And can anyone confirm what it is leaking into under the sump gasket level? I’ll just replace it when it’s done.

Oil is an insulator, I doubt that it would be creating a short and blowing a fuse. A lot of gate automation motors run in an oil bath.

Other than the oil level/temperature sensor there is not a lot beneath the sump mating faces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Is this a 30 or 20 Amp fuse? If so it appears to be related to the ABS module, at first glance? What if anything can your owners manual tell you about this fuse?

It’s actually a 10a. This is the fuse that keeps blowing.

84219D26-B449-4930-9E82-A1E2ECDF802E.jpeg

Hmm, Can you show a photo of where this fuse is, and please confirm that we're talking about the 2010 Superb listed in your profile?

Ah, just seen in one of your posts that it may be a 2016 car? That would make more sense of why you're in the mk3 Superb subforum? If so time to update profile.

I have no info about such a recent car sadly.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Other than the oil level/temperature sensor there is not a lot beneath the sump mating faces.

Agree with this, but it could be that "engine components" in the above list includes the level/temp sensor.  Probably a coincidence that there is an oil leak and this fuse blowing though.

Yes sorry. It’s a Mk3 2016. In fact my 2nd Mk3 now. 

795C21FE-A4D1-473E-8363-3FCDD67773E1.jpeg

2D07B14F-50CF-45C4-BE68-4BDFE8172D7C.jpeg

5D79582E-33B8-4C1E-B8CC-71E18D0F3CE0.jpeg

Initially changing the fuse solved it. Then it became intermittent. Then an elec guy cleaned that sensor and it was fine.

The oil sensor connector may have been damaged so that it doesn't seal properly when mated to the sensor. Try pulling it off (gently) without disengaging the latch, and see if it just pulls off.

Although oil itself is a good electrical insulator, engine oil loaded with contaminants like soot and moisture may be quite a good conductor, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Although oil itself is a good electrical insulator, engine oil loaded with contaminants like soot and moisture may be quite a good conductor, I guess.

My old school Nokia (well one of the many triggers brooms) was on the countertop above the sink and on vibrate, the obvious happened but this one was very different, it had been underwater for a couple of hours & was still working, I could see the missed caller & the time.

Other phones even if I rescued and dried them quickly did not survive intact, what was different was that I had washed up a frying pan , the water was not greasy & I would have washed up other dishes using it but the small amount of oil was in suspension and made the water into a good insulator.

Her you go. I’m cleaned up the oil level sensor connection, changed the fuse, and then the car was fine again for 2 mins. Funny coincidence though, it was where I was turning right at the same point as a previous attempt, that the fuse blew again!

https://youtu.be/wErmCidkWP8

https://youtu.be/tY1Vso7Yx-M

CEAEC931-390A-45F4-8055-C40EB39218B9.jpeg

89CE8C4B-9D75-4278-AC00-DAF1E49F0D6B.jpeg

42B6533D-7D37-46FC-B4A6-53F4F1079983.jpeg

FE93790D-2C71-433E-A83E-CD090F500FEE.jpeg

14 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Then I doubt it’s leaking into any fuel pressure regulator which is located on the top side of the engine.

Something isn’t adding up here 

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

My old school Nokia (well one of the many triggers brooms) was on the countertop above the sink and on vibrate, the obvious happened but this one was very different, it had been underwater for a couple of hours & was still working, I could see the missed caller & the time.

Other phones even if I rescued and dried them quickly did not survive intact, what was different was that I had washed up a frying pan , the water was not greasy & I would have washed up other dishes using it but the small amount of oil was in suspension and made the water into a good insulator.

15 hours ago, Wino said:

The oil sensor connector may have been damaged so that it doesn't seal properly when mated to the sensor. Try pulling it off (gently) without disengaging the latch, and see if it just pulls off.

Just uploaded some vids