New car and a few problems.

Lussac

Took delivery of my Karoq on 10th November after a long wait.  Things have been fine up to last week when the boot fails to shut properly.   Today on a shopping trip to Cambridge first the rear camera stopped working with a fault and then on the way home the aircon failed and had to have the widow open to clear misted the windscreen and side windows, just my luck that the dealers aren't open until Tuesday.  Can't really use the car now without the ability to demist the screen and don't want to drive around with the windows open when the temps are due to drop tomorrow.

Not a good start to the new year and new car....

Hi lussac

Hope you get sorted soon, can't see it being anything serious.  This is where you find out how helpful and efficient the service department is !

Got to say what little contact I've had with my local supplying dealer has been very positve, so I do hope your experience is just as good up your end.

On 02/01/2022 at 14:57, Lussac said:

Can't really use the car now without the ability to demist the screen and don't want to drive around with the windows open when the temps are due to drop tomorrow.

Not a good start to the new year and new car....

Not good when you have a problem, especially with a new car, but you're not seriously suggesting you can't use the car because the aircon isn't working?

As I recall, here in the UK, aircon never really became an option until the early 90's on most cars - it was reserved for the very high end cars. Those of us who drove in the 80's seemed to cope.

It wasn't until  the mid-90's until air-con became std fit on most mid-range models and above. Aircon helped demist the screen quicker but it's certainly not an essential.  Use google to find out various methods to demist your screen but the easiest of all is:

1: Cleaning your windscreen with a goodcleaner or simple vinegar and water ( and dry it with newspaper afterwards  ) will help it from misting in the first place.

2: If it's misty, turn your blower on cold when you first start the car, let it run for a minute, then gradually turn up the temp.

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Not good when you have a problem, especially with a new car, but you're not seriously suggesting you can't use the car because the aircon isn't working?

As I recall, here in the UK, aircon never really became an option until the early 90's on most cars - it was reserved for the very high end cars. Those of us who drove in the 80's seemed to cope.

It wasn't until  the mid-90's until air-con became std fit on most mid-range models and above. Aircon helped demist the screen quicker but it's certainly not an essential.  Use google to find out various methods to demist your screen but the easiest of all is:

1: Cleaning your windscreen with a goodcleaner or simple vinegar and water ( and dry it with newspaper afterwards  ) will help it from misting in the first place.

2: If it's misty, turn your blower on cold when you first start the car, let it run for a minute, then gradually turn up the temp.

Not the aircon, it's the blower that's not working, there is heat from the aircon but  nothing to blow it around.  A new development today was that the electrics went bonkers when my wife was out dropping off our grandson, she 'phoned me up in a panic saying that the emergency flashers were on and all sorts of warning lights.  Turned the car off, locked it, opened it and restarted it and all is OK... AND... there is a very faint just discernible whisper of air from the blower but not enough to demist, she's on her way back now so hope there's no more 'phone calls.  She did say that when she dropped off the grandson and closed and locked the car and coming back to the car it sounded as though the fan was indeed faintly running when listening at the bonnet, that's before the car was opened so the car hadn't shut down the electrics after leaving it for an hour.

Car is booked into the dealer on Thursday for investigation and to look at the non-closing boot issue and the reversing camera that is sometimes unavailable and sometimes points direct at the number plate rather than the rear view!

Update to the above.

Car has been recovered by Skoda Assistance to dealer and now awaiting hire car.  Wife got home and car would not shut down so called Skoda Assist who came out within the hour and said that he couldn't do anything other than disconnect the battery, he didn't want to do that as he wanted to preserve the current state.

Happy so far with the Skoda Assist service and I've just had a call back from them confirming my details and the car is with the dealer who will be contacting me when they've assessed the car.

21 hours ago, Lussac said:

Not the aircon, it's the blower that's not working, there is heat from the aircon but  nothing to blow it around.  A new development today was that the electrics went bonkers when my wife was out dropping off our grandson, she 'phoned me up in a panic saying that the emergency flashers were on and all sorts of warning lights.  Turned the car off, locked it, opened it and restarted it and all is OK... AND... there is a very faint just discernible whisper of air from the blower but not enough to demist, she's on her way back now so hope there's no more 'phone calls.  She did say that when she dropped off the grandson and closed and locked the car and coming back to the car it sounded as though the fan was indeed faintly running when listening at the bonnet, that's before the car was opened so the car hadn't shut down the electrics after leaving it for an hour.

Car is booked into the dealer on Thursday for investigation and to look at the non-closing boot issue and the reversing camera that is sometimes unavailable and sometimes points direct at the number plate rather than the rear view!

It's useful to try to get a photo/video of the warning lights flashing if something like this happens.  It's easier than trying to explain things to the garage. 

Hope you get the issues sorted soon. 

Dealer called and said problem is a pressure sensor in the aircon shorting out and causing electrical havoc, new parts being fitted and car available this evening.  Boot lid adjusted as apparently way out of adjustment and camera problems due to having to slam the boot lid to shut it, camera OK at the moment so will live with it as no calibration tool or replacement is available at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, not happy today.  Last evening coming from Northern parts to Hertfordshire and just past Doncaster Car Play froze and the aircon failed again and it looks like the same fault.  It was a very cold drive for the last 2 hours and my feet were freezing by the time I got home as it was about 3-4 degrees c outside and had only light clothing for the trip down.  After about an hour I did have a brainwave and put the seat heater on which helped a bit but not around the legs and feet.

Called into the dealer but they could not give me a loner as nothing available this week or next and can't look at the car until Monday morning first thing.  There must be something fundamentally wrong in the aircon that's causing the pressure sensor to fail (this one lasted just 2 weeks) and mess with the electrics - frozen satnav and car play, can't connect phone over bluetooth as it says "cannot connect 'phone" but radio works OK.

• Sad 2

Update from dealer just now.  

They need more time to assess the problem, they had swapped my aircon unit (complete unit?) from a new car and it still didn't work and my unit in the new car did work so it's not the aircon unit itself but something deeper in the electronics as evidenced by the associated glitches at the point of failure e.g. different problems on the two occasions. They are now awaiting further info from Skoda as to what the problem component might be.  Looks like a problem for Diagnose Dan from Youtube!!

Didn't push the issue of a replacement car as I'm not planning going anywhere this week and the replacement would just sit outside the house, if I need to get to town then there's a bust stop 100m away, if this looks to be a bigger issue then I will certainly ask for a car.

OK you don’t need a car but their car sitting outside your house can have an amazing affect on the dealer’s ability to focus on getting your car fixed and their car back to them.  The fact that you won’t be using it is neither here nor there. :thumbup:

Plus might be worth putting them on notice that if they don’t fix it this time then you’ll be pressing the honking great “reject” button.  

• Like 3

Yes, chatted to the other half today on the subject of rejecting the car,  from my point of view I'll have to do that if they can't give me a definitive answer as to what the problem is.  As it's happened twice now in two weeks on a 2 month old 1100 mile car does not fill me with confidence, even more now that they admit they don't know what the problem is.  Thing is I like the car and have a few options that I had to wait for plus I've had a towbar fitted that cost £650 so it would be a difficult conversation to have.  I've looked at stock cars that are for sale but none have the options that I have plus they are for sale for between £3k and £5k more than I paid.  I know what you are saying about a loaner car but they reckon they don't have anything available and it would have to be a car from Enterprise, the car I had from them two weeks ago was a basic diesel Passat and was crap to drive so wasn't keen on that option.  Will have to see what transpires tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Lussac said:

rejecting the car

You have to stick your foot down.

A few years ago (when the EGR problem first appeared) my daughter had purchased a 3 year old, ex lease / low mileage, Tiguan from a VW dealer.

Within a matter of weeks, it had broken down with a failed EGR valve.

It had to be recovered from the roadside.

She was given a replacement car.

Her Tiguan was returned after 2 weeks so called fixed.

3 days later it broke down again, she had he 2 small children in the car at the time, same problem. We suspect the original valve had been cleaned up or a second hand unit used. There was a shortage of EGR valves due to the failure rate across the VAG group.

Her sister is a solicitor, and wrote a letter on her behalf giving them one more attempt at a fix or seeking a replacement.

It was fixed and failed a third time.

After much ‘discussion’ and her not being prepared to accept a diesel replacement VW supplied her with a brand new Petrol version. There being no petrols made of the same age.

In fact from the time she took ownership of the original Tiguan to the delivery of the replacement, she had a replacement car for longer.

The Moral.... start the process early.

Edited by vegit8

2 hours ago, vegit8 said:

You have to stick your foot down...........

The Moral.... start the process early.

I absolutely agree with vegit8.

It is nearly 3 years since I looked very closely at the rejection process when our 1.5tsi Karoq displayed the infamous stalling and kangarooing characteristics. Because the car was excellent in other respects, I was too patient and dillied and dallied, and waited for the development of improved software. The new software duly arrived which cured the stalling and improved the first-gear bounce - but it isn't completely cured and I now regret not rejecting the car when the issues first occurred. 

I believe that, subsequently, improvements were made to the engine design that were too late for me.

Edited by StEdmund
missed word