Sluggish scout

We have 2 scouts. A 2010 and  2012.

The 2012 feels like something is holding it back when you set off from parked and acceleration. It doesn't use any extra fuel really and non of the brakes seem to be sticking.

I'm not convinced the 4wd system is working right as when its wet and you hit a big Puddle the traction light lights up for a second or 2 and we took it to a muddy field,  we didnt get stuck but definitely had the front wheels spinning more than the rears. Could it be that which makes it feel less powerful? It's always felt a bit off but I generally drive it instead of the 2010 until the last few weeks and definitely notice the difference when I went back to it.

I would start with the easy stuff:

- make sure the air filter isn’t clogged with debris 

- perhaps throw in a can of fuel injector cleaner 

- scan all the computer modules for fault codes 

do both cars have similar mileage? If one has done way more than the other, they may never feel identical 

Another poster asking for advice without saying what engine they have and moreover whether petrol or diesel

If it is the latter then it will likely be a clogged up motorised throttle valve, remove it and clean it out, you will be amazed at how choked up it will be. When they get really clagged the engine shakes on shut down.

At the same time take the opportunity to reverse the orientation of the EGR boss so that it does not continue to clog the valve, better still disable it with an EGR emulator.