iV - Battery life tips

I have a Superb iV. I have a home chargepoint and have the car on scheduled charging via the Skoda app, the app suggested I use a reduced charge rate to improve battery life which I selected, there definitely has been an improvement in battery life which was abysmal. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, j caff said:

I have a Superb iV. I have a home chargepoint and have the car on scheduled charging via the Skoda app, the app suggested I use a reduced charge rate to improve battery life which I selected, there definitely has been an improvement in battery life which was abysmal. 

Great! Will definitely give it a try. I think if you use reduced charge rate, the tension is lower - it will take more time to charge, but won't be so "aggressive" to the battery, thus not heating so much, etc.

I'll try this then. Will be interesting to see how much more time it takes to fully charge.

4 hours ago, LoneSalBug said:

Great! Will definitely give it a try. I think if you use reduced charge rate, the tension is lower - it will take more time to charge, but won't be so "aggressive" to the battery, thus not heating so much, etc.

I'll try this then. Will be interesting to see how much more time it takes to fully charge.

A full charge of 13Kw takes about 4.5 hours. A good bit slower than max but certainly faster than the granny cable. 

Other EV related posts on here have mentioned not normally charging the battery to more than 80% except when needed for a longer journey, since fully charging the battery does have an effect on reducing battery life.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have a question regarding battery life and charging. I ordered my Octavia IV in January (still waiting). I plan on charging with the granny cable. I only go out once a day to work. Yes it takes 6 hours give or take but that doesn’t bother me. Will this cause any issues with the battery? Are there any negatives to using the granny cable other than the time it takes? 

1 hour ago, MikeM89 said:

I have a question regarding battery life and charging. I ordered my Octavia IV in January (still waiting). I plan on charging with the granny cable. I only go out once a day to work. Yes it takes 6 hours give or take but that doesn’t bother me. Will this cause any issues with the battery? Are there any negatives to using the granny cable other than the time it takes? 

No. But 6 hours to charge is painful especially when it gives less than 30km. With the weather getting colder charging times get longer and distance travelled get much shorter. 

Eleven months and longer to wait for a car is absolutely ridiculous. 

Edited by j caff
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, j caff said:

No. But 6 hours to charge is painful especially when it gives less than 30km. With the weather getting colder charging times get longer and distance travelled get much shorter. 

Eleven months and longer to wait for a car is absolutely ridiculous. 

6 hours is a pain but I get home from work around 5pm and it will be plugged in straight away. So should be charged at around 11pm. I don’t leave until 8am so suits me well. I can’t justify paying for an electric charger when a 3 pin plug suits me. 

11 months is ridiculous. I’ve been told I will receive the car June 2023. Ordered Jan 2022. Nearly 18 months is unacceptable. 

11 hours ago, roottoot said:

Time it to charging up to leaving in the car,

have the car heating inside and the battery prepped using the mains power. 

Good shout for the winter months. But looks like I will be getting it for the summer at this rate ☹️

• Sad 1

The basic charger is limited to 10 amps, or 2 1/2 kW so on the Octopus Energy four-hour off-peak rate of 7.5p/kWh, from flat the 400v battery will charge to about 80%. In summer I get about 27 miles range with aircon cooling but in winter with heating it drops to around 23 miles. We do mainly local motoring at present, so we use little petrol. Our mpg since new is 87mpg for 6800 miles.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jim2015 said:

The basic charger is limited to 10 amps, or 2 1/2 kW so on the Octopus Energy four-hour off-peak rate of 7.5p/kWh, from flat the 400v battery will charge to about 80%. In summer I get about 27 miles range with aircon cooling but in winter with heating it drops to around 23 miles. We do mainly local motoring at present, so we use little petrol. Our mpg since new is 87mpg for 6800 miles.

Thanks Jim. That’s a good shout. I’m currently with Octopus so will look at that Tariff.