VRS Purchase

Hi all, hoping to gain some information from you guys please. I am looking to purchase a 2017/18/19 VRS hatch or estate and would like to know of any common issues with DPF or adblue? I do approx 15k a year and would ideally like a TDI DSG. Also, noise issues? Varied reports across the site or does this really refer to the previous model?

thanks and look forward to your responses.

Yes I'm afraid it will have noise issues being a diesel! For info the TSI can be economical when driven properly (indicated 40 to 45mpg) and doesn't have the same particulate filter system as the TDI. Earlier 17/18 models don't have any (gasoline) particulate filters.

I'm sure a diesel head will be along soon to give you a more appropriate answer 😀

Well, If you are planning to buy a diesel, be sure to check that the DPF is in running condition(can be easily checked with VCDS or VAG Dpf and an ELM bluetooth device, doing a 10-20 miles drive test and watching the values).  Almost everyone I know that bought a used 184hp engine (being skoda, golf or seat), had some sort of problems with the DPF, myself included (had to professionally clean it). 

Oil consumption can be another issue, but that's harder to diagnose sadly.

Noises can be all over the places. The vacuum pump is a know issue, the fuel pump can have a whining noise (someone replaced it and still makes the same noise).

But, If you are lucky and have none of these problems, it's a great all rounder car.

Edited by BogdanB

56 minutes ago, VVRS said:

Hi all, 

are the diesels really that problematic? What about the 2.0 TSI engine, what’s the reliability and what sort of mileage to a tank do you get?

My guess is that bad servicing and "misuse" leads to these issues. 

Doing long oil service intervals and lots of city driving is what kills the engine. 

My average consumption is around 7.5L/100km. Mixed highway and city driving at a 70/30 ratio I'd say. 

Edited by BogdanB

I have a 2016 diesel DSG, absolutely no problems with it, just general maintenance costs.

There are common problems such as water pump failure and reports of oil consumption. The pumps are changed with the belt at set intervals and the revised parts don't seem to have a high fail rate from what I have read.

I service my car every 5-6k and I've never had to top it up in between, it may just drop from full on the dipstick by a mm or two. It is worth checking the DPF health prior to purchase if possible, if the car has only ever done short trips then the DPF life is going to be shorter than one that's been sat on the motorway.

In terms of fuel economy, I am current getting 47 mpg long term with mixed driving, I did see 60mpg once on a long trip driving very sensible.

I would see if you can test drive both, see what you think and weigh up the running costs. 

I have a 2017 vRS TDI DSG and probably do the same amount of miles as you with the majority on long motorway drives averaging 52-60mpg.

No issues for me apart from the odd rattle that, if diagnosed, can be fixed easy enough.

Just flown through its 5 year service (incl. cambelt and waterpump) and 3rd MOT without any issues.

If I wasn’t doing the journeys I do I’d go back to a manual, petrol car purely for drivability, tuneability and all around enjoyment. Most likely a vRS Challenge model.

At present though I feel as if I have a good car and will be hanging on to it for a bit.

Next time Racingline have a sale on I’ll be getting their OEM+ Stage 1 remap.

Had my diesel now for over 2 years now. Every engine makes funny noises. Take the TSI for example, sounds more like a diesel with the direct injection noise than a diesel does. 

I opted for diesel because I do quite a bit of commuting to see family 150 miles away. My normal drive to work is 6 miles each way and having done that since I got the car has not massively impacted on the dpf or how it operates.

Mine is mapped and DSG. It certainly shifts when pressing on but also gets 55 - 60mpgs on the motorway. It does use a bit of oil but I keep a carton of oil in the boot. My old MK2 TFSI used oil and that was petrol. I would take each one for a drive and see which you prefer.

• Like 1