Dsg 7 speed DQ381

Hi guys my 70 plate Superb is annoying my in that it wants to take off in 2nd gear most of the time and sounds like its slipping , is there a software update for this as it is really annoying, the software version is 2402 on a GSG DQ381 wet clutch 7 speed gearbox, any other members with this issue thanks 

My 6 speed wet clutch does this too, so I think it is designed that way.

Unless you stop on an uphill slope, or select Sport, then the car usually moves off in 2nd and does "slip" until you get to about 11mph.

Based on no technical information whatsoever, I can only think that it is a way of sharing the wear between the 2 clutches.

If the car always started in 1st gear then the initial moving off slippage would always be down to the 1st gear clutch, maybe causing premature failure.

Just a guess, but I would be interested in hearing a more technical explanation if anyone's got chapter and verse on how it works.

• Like 1

My Superb is up shifting at 4mph 1st to second but has to be at a complete standstill before it will select 1st more than often takes away in 2nd and sounds like its slipping 

Edited by Hutchy36
  • Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 19:58, Hutchy36 said:

My Superb is up shifting at 4mph 1st to second but has to be at a complete standstill before it will select 1st more than often takes away in 2nd and sounds like its slipping 

That's normal and mine does the same. On moderate (ie normal) throttle, second gear comes at around 8-10mph or so. 

If you have paddles, and bothered enough, you can always get it into first easy enough in those situations

• Thanks 1

Mine is the 7 speed box , 2020 model and only done 11000 ,  I am a mot tester and test drive loads of cars with dsg boxes , but can honestly say that I have never driven a audi or Vw dsg that wants to take away in 2nd ever , going into the dealership next month for a back brake disc that's fluctuating and the centre armrest all puckered , I will mention this to them and see what they say and if there is a update on the software and keep the forum posted thanks for the reply 

• Like 1

A long long time ago, I recall somewhere mentioning a snow or winter mode for DSG that has it start in 2nd gear. Example

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/winter-mode-on-our-dsg-cars.328747/post-3619457

Maybe its an automatic function now based on ambient temperature perhaps. Or perhaps something has been inadvertently programmed or its buried somewhere in the infotainment.

A scan of the DSG diagnostics may give a clue. Or maybe the DSG just needs resetting. (No idea how, but I know it can be done)

Edited by xman

@MarkyG82  The reason your car will have shown the Winter Tyre Warning will be because someone set a 'Speed Warning for winter tyres'. 

I used to set one Speed Limit Warning and the Winter Tyre Warning at the speed i might expect a ban. 

You can set both limits if you want. 

If in some countries the car can not be set for a Winter Tyre Setting then a sticker needs to be displayed. 

As far as a know all Skoda Models can be set to show a speed limit for Winter Tyres and that us then set by whoever, usually a driver.

maxdot.jpg.1b0385dfcf838ca86171dcbf8a59d091.jpg.f1f892fb5263d40375ec95b985e0d111.jpg

post-79109-13551562300739.jpg.dc28f254d074bcc4b9fa05e7f4631aae.jpg

post-86161-0-29125400-1445171898.jpg.91d9305b317f199c25a0d9dec1decff6.jpg.d412f8a4055c4ad6baa64d3325f155c7.jpg

q1knysu53tvx.jpg.4e1ada3f720ee205f49eb1098646499e.jpg.c8d0d871217ede9c29c4bddf0d87ab9a.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

@Hutchy36   You do need to find out why if you put your shifter into D or S the car is not pulling away in 1st.

EDIT.

I see you say it does if at a standstill.   So that is good, and changing at 4 mph is good.  

Lots of changes to get done before into 7th. 

There was a thread about Wet Clutch DSG's where a couple of members said their cars started in 2nd. 

They should not have pulled away in 2nd if working correctly.

The DQ200 7 speed DSG's had no settings that had them pulling from a standing start in 2nd, you could not select 2nd to start off with either.  

There was this thread where a member asked about starting off in 2nd. 

I take it theirs was a 1.5 TSI with a DQ200 7 Speed Dry and not a Wet Clutch with a 1.5 TSI / DSG with Haldex.   EDIT.  It was a FWD. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/462473-can-i-start-in-2nd-gear-with-dsg

Edited by roottoot

Thank you roottoot, it does take off in first but only if completely stopped even pulling a 1000kg caravan likes 2nd gear alot , just concerns me it will wear the clutch plates or prematurely deteriorate the oil , just sounds as if it is slipping but definitely isn't, will see what the dealer says about it thanks 

19 hours ago, Hutchy36 said:

Thank you roottoot, it does take off in first but only if completely stopped even pulling a 1000kg caravan likes 2nd gear alot , just concerns me it will wear the clutch plates or prematurely deteriorate the oil , just sounds as if it is slipping but definitely isn't, will see what the dealer says about it thanks 

Tvs engineering do a life extender and drivability map for the dsg.. 

It’s  their stage 2+ I think they call it. Supposed to make a huge diff. 

Thank you , I have genuine remapping equipment and do ecu work regularly, was trying to avoid a tcu map if possible as still has manufacturer warranty I will say to the service dept when in for warranty work on the 8th of March

Further to my earlier post where I said my car mostly moves off in 2nd gear....

Today I tried the DSG reset procedure that I read about on here (ignition on, throttle to the floor for 20 seconds, foot off the throttle, then start the engine).

Much to my surprise and, I suppose, delight, my car now drops into 1st most of the time when stopped or slowed to below 5mph.

I've only had the blooming thing for 3 years and put up with the slow 2nd gear starts all that time!

• Like 3