Under bumper lights 2011 Elegance

littleredcar

Hi,

Having owned my Yeti for 8 years, I've just realised that the front bumper has inserts that look like a place where you could fit some additional lights. I'm talking pre FL model with round DL units.

My question is, has anyone fitted additional lights here please? Of so I would be very interested to know what exactly they are called so I can fit some. Internet searches are coming up with nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Jo

On 14/02/2022 at 18:55, b1ackb1rd said:

I wonder if Roomster fogs would fit ? 

The Roomster/Fabia foglights do look like a close fit, although I can't find any evidence of anybody doing it.  One question though, is what you would want these lights to do?  If you use them as foglights then you'd have to disconnect the big round ones since you are only allowed two front foglights.  If to be used as some kind of spotlight or 'driving light', that comes on with the main beam, then the Fabia/Roomster lights won't work without significant modification as they are focussed as foglights (ie low and wide).

• Like 1

If you feel the need for extra driving lights, perhaps it’s time to change the xenon lamps if you haven’t already. After 8 years the light output from the original xenons will have diminished somewhat.

5 hours ago, littleredcar said:

I would be looking at extra driving lights.

In that case they would not be allowed under the Vehicle Lighting Regulations, as they are too low down.
Simplistically, additional driving lights have to be roughly level with the headlights.

Your first action should be to fit better headlight bulbs, and many here recommend either the Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs or their Phillips equivalent as they have been proven to improve things no end.

3 hours ago, Urrell said:

Would "driving lights" be allowed as low as that?

No they wouldn't.

• Like 1

My understanding has always been that there are no specific requirements relating to height for addition front 'driving lights' - that is lights that are only switched on with  the existing standard main beam headlights (and are legally classified as "Optional Main Beam Headlights")? 

Indeed reading the regs seems to confirm this; There is no limit to the number, they must be white or yellow, they must extinguish when the Main beam headlights are extinguished, and the beam must be adjustable (while the vehicle is stationary).

the only additional requirement for more recent cars (post 1991) is that they must have  British Approval markings.

Requirements relating to optional main-beam headlamps

Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I and, in the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5

In fact I can't see any height requirement at all for even the obligatory main beam headlights?

• Like 2

That you cant see them does not mean they dont exist, if they didn't low cars would not have pop up headlights.

It could be that auxiliary lamps are exempt from the max/min height requirements, certainly I see a lot of articulated lorry tractor units with very bright lights across the top of the cab that come on with main beam, they certainly get the message across if I have not levelled my dipped beam lights correctly for the load I am carrying/towing.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That you cant see them does not mean they dont exist, if they didn't low cars would not have pop up headlights.

That's because there is  a minimum height requirement relating to Dipped Beam headlights

Edited by muddyjim

I can see in the regs that there are height requirements for Dipped Beam Headlights (hence pop up headlights on low cars), but I cannot see any height requirement for Main Beam headlights in the regs

Some Peugeot 205 models (most famously the GTi but also the XS I had) had factory-fitted driving lights under the front bumper.

In this case though you’d probably have to create something from scratch, perhaps with a 3D printer and some aftermarket lights.