vRS 220 Mods - My plans over the coming months...

Hello all  just posted my intro thread, but wanted to say hello and let you know what is in the pipeline over the coming weeks.

I am what could be described as a tinkerer and I love adding functionality, or improving it especially stuff that could have been added at build time but wasn't.

The tweaks I am hoping to make, I am going to document them here, and wether or not they have been successes or failiures, as well as hopefully getting some assistance if/where required!!

If they are successful they can serve as manuals.
If they fail they can serve as words to the wise.

Simple things I have already done:  (Ill spare you the vynyls and stickers! 🤣)

• I bought and used OBDeleven, don't hate me. But... it works and is simple to use.
    • Added automatic full beams
    • Added speed sign recog
    • other smaller tweaks.
  • Seems daft but a divider in the arm rest box is super useful for keeping that box a bit tidier.
  • A cushion on the right arm rest of my elbow, for long drives.

Things that are in the pipeline that I hoping to do soon

• First party ACC. Im sure this will be the highest difficulty as I am cobbling the bits together and this may fail but...
    • Draginfly Cruise stalk
  • Third parrty, Blind spot warning/alert. Lights (and sounds when indicating). This one I am excited about.
  • Third party Ownice android touch screen headunit. (had good experience with ownice on the vauxhall previously, most polioshed and least engrish!)
    • 360 Cameras with recording and live video feed
  • Floor logo projectors on passenger doors 
  • Dynamic LED wing mirror Lights (instead of plain flashers)
  • TDI Tuning Box
    • Fuel Economy - changes?

• Performance - inprovements? 

• See attached img

Things I am thinking about but have  very little/no idea about:

• Heated seats (first or third party [ 3rd party? yeah ask for more info on that one] )  / steering wheel
  • (also ACC xD)
  • Fitting a colour maxidot (or even full digital dash?!)

Everything else Ive done is cosmetic, stupid, etc, but happy to share for those that way inclined.

Glad I can have you lot on this journey with me....

Well I hope I do, just paid for freedom 😅

Screenshot from 2022-02-14 12-40-11.png

Edited by LithiumX
Revised content + Title Update

--Mods pls delete--

(or can I reserve this post for links to corresponding threads by topic above? - OR should I link in situe above...)

Edited by LithiumX
Moved content into OP

• LithiumX changed the title to vRS 220 Mods - My plans over the coming months...

Hi, welcome all sounds interesting, I’ve got the 220 vRS too, haven’t installed any mods beyond mudflaps (they’re great). I’ve mulled over some ECU tuning but really don’t feel like the cars actually needs extra power but appreciate that YMMV! I do still think every now and again that I may still go for it though.  Your list includes a “TDI Tuning Box” but unless I’m missing something your car’s got a TSI petrol engine 🤨 I hope you haven’t ordered it already!

13 minutes ago, Pilotguy said:

Hi, welcome all sounds interesting, I’ve got the 220 vRS too, haven’t installed any mods beyond mudflaps (they’re great). I’ve mulled over some ECU tuning but really don’t feel like the cars actually needs extra power but appreciate that YMMV! I do still think every now and again that I may still go for it though.  Your list includes a “TDI Tuning Box” but unless I’m missing something your car’s got a TSI petrol engine 🤨 I hope you haven’t ordered it already!

Honestly Im just happy someone replied 🤣
To be clear I alreeady had the tuning box for my 160brake siggy. Which WAS (😔) a diesel.

I asked the company if they did Petrols and they said yes! So I sent the box away and they 'reprogrammed' it. For much less than the cost of a new one, and sent over a dedicated harness. 

So in short TDI, in this case is just the company name.

A friend of mine has ordered (but not recvd) a brand new i30n so I want something to compete with him, and  267 should at least be able to keep up.

So far I have recieved the blind spot sensor and the tuning chip (as well as already having OBDeleven) - and some parts for ACC.
I will post dedicated threads for each ( community permitting), but for now here are some photos...

In response to the video - I did try it on the bench out the window and looks good again more detail to follow.

photo5798478546119800940.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-15 at 13.25.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-15 at 11.46.43.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

FOr anyone following this

I have fitted the headunit (but not the 360 cams yet or the interiour lighting aspect)

I have put in the tuning box, this for sure works, damn thing moves like crazy now, even in eco :blush:
Tried to put in the dragonfly stalk, but the unit I got was faulty 😞 

About to go on hols till saturday, but will post appropriately when I return.

9 hours ago, LithiumX said:

I have fitted the headunit (but not the 360 cams yet or the interiour lighting aspect)

I have put in the tuning box, this for sure works, damn thing moves like crazy now, even in eco :blush:

Hi, i am interested by your 360 camera fit.

Could you post a documented installation?

Thanks.

21 hours ago, LithiumX said:

I'm interested in the TDI Tuning box... For my 245 they quote over 300bhp for £295 (offer on) which I would hazard a guess is optimistic. But to me the numbers aren't relevant as long as it drives well - ? Also let us know if you see any change to the mpg during normal driving 👍

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2022 at 21:37, Swirly182 said:

I'm interested in the TDI Tuning box... For my 245 they quote over 300bhp for £295 (offer on) which I would hazard a guess is optimistic. But to me the numbers aren't relevant as long as it drives well - ? Also let us know if you see any change to the mpg during normal driving 👍

So, thats fitted, There is for sure an improvement. Scared myself the other day, but this is the fastest thing I have ever driven so don't really know any different! 

Fuel wise, without fail I get 380-440 miles on a tank. 
Economy is not really any different over all.

Getting a tuning box like that though you WILL get invalid MPG's. Because those are measured based on the fuel injector values, and they are one of the values being fudged.

So Im measuring by miles to tank whihc is always the same!

On 07/03/2022 at 09:54, nickytheshaft said:

Hi, i am interested by your 360 camera fit.

Could you post a documented installation?

Thanks.

Yes, when I get around to it I will!

I have tested the cameras and they do work, just not in the right place yet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey LithiumX, I am new to Skoda's and this website too. Lots of good info found already!

How do you find Carista? I was all ready to buy it but notice OBDeleven has long coding options. I far prefer simple changes rather than multi stage so Carista appeals but I don't know how limiting it is?

Currently want to change sidelights/numberplate lights/interior lights to LED functionality, passenger mirror drop in reverse, turn off audio blip when locking/unlocking and probably more. Is the range extensive or limited?

Hi Dodge. 

I do recommend OBDeleven. It does have long coding but I've not used it: 

See attached screenies for what you can do, in particular you mentioned the unlock sound.

Hundreds of options it feels like on there but that will vary by model. Which do you have?

These are 'apps' and simplify the coding. 99% of the time once you have set the option you don't need to do it again. 

Not got any exp with carista sorry!!

I haven't opened it for a while and spotted new lane keep assist options which I'll be playing with in the coming days!

There are also free diagnostic tools to test car components like lights , actuators, etc.

You need the obd11 dongle, but if you use android, only the cheaper one

Screenshot_20220427-232155.thumb.png.697bc37877ec0a6118cb9dd5d95351fb.png

Screenshot_20220427-232629.png

Screenshot_20220427-232611.png

Screenshot_20220427-232604.png

• 1 year later...

Ack should change the title of this one to--- years.

Updates are:

• Fitted Folding Wingmirrors with Black Shells , Puddle Lights. - Had to upgrade door card modules too
  • Started installing 360 cameras, but this is currently in prog. Will update.
  • Started installing blindspot alerts (not using official kit), just a third party kit.
  • All hardware is in place for adaptive cruise - not wired the radar in yet (but suspect this is all thats left + coding)! The new stalks however do work for normal cruise so, guess we will see!

Will update soon, with photos!

• Like 1