Fuel consumption (again?)

Bison

Hi folks,

New to the forum, so a question out of interest to start please?.

My car is a 2012 Yeti Greenline Elegance

I've read quite a few posts referring to fuel consumption of the 1.6 diesel engined car, and noticed the very large difference in fuel consumption from one seemingly identical car to the other.

Now, while I'm quite aware that the biggest single difference is likely to be caused by the driver, I just wondered if an actual fault or solution had been discovered?.

I read with surprise that people average mid 50's to the UK gallon, and on a (slowish) run can achieve MPG in the 60's!.

Now, here's the thing, I can easily eke a very good fuel consumption out of my motorcycles, my previous cars, both diesel and petrol, and indeed my classic car, but the lovely Yeti defeats me!. It seems to do 41 to 43MPG no matter how I drive it. Long journeys at 60MPH on motorways with the cruise control on, or off, yields 43MPG max, way off of other owners reports, The car is al;ways serviced, no fault codes, drives beautifully. The display can read a better instant consumption if I keep it below 1500rpm, but I have to say it feels way overgeared to be doing that, the engine does not sound happy, in fact, it sounds laboured below 1500.

To illustrate how miserly I can be with my driving, I have in the past managed 38MPG in my 2 1/2 litre V8 engined car, the petrol station up North was closed, I had to make it to the next one!.

So, any fixes known?, or is it just the way they are?.Cheers,

Alan.

41-43 seems exceptionally poor for a 1.6 diesel, I'm averaging ~41 in my 1.2TSI.

If my wife didn't drive it it would probably be closer to 45!

2 hours ago, Bison said:

if I keep it below 1500rpm, but I have to say it feels way overgeared to be doing that, the engine does not sound happy, in fact, it sounds laboured below 1500.

That's because the Greenline does not have a DMF so likes to rev a bit more to smooth the engine pulses out.
My Greenline manages very close to 60 mpg or a little over at a true 60 mph.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies,

My car has 79K miles on it. 

I have no idea about the Regens, how do I check?.

I put in the VIN number and VW said my car didn't need the fix.

Alan.

33 minutes ago, Bison said:

And I can't say I've noticed the fan running or a hot smell.

Alan.

You'll notice tickover at around 1000rpm for a while before it goes back to normal

Hi

My petrol 1.4 TSi is officially rated at 41.5 MPG, which I have no trouble meeting or exceeding.  Even 50 MPG is possible under very favourable circumstances.  And yes, this is checked at the pump as well as the dashboard display (they happen to agree).

Your diesel 1.6 greenline is rated at 63 MPG, so if you are getting only low 40's it suggests something isn't right unless you are doing very short runs in the depths of winter. 

Does the car roll freely in neutral, i.e. no brake binding ?  Is the engine getting properly hot, i.e. no fault with the thermostat ?  Weight and rolling resistance are the main factors affecting economy below roughly 40 MPH, whereas wind resistance dominates above roughly 50 MPH.

25 minutes ago, Austin 7 said:

Does the car roll freely in neutral, i.e. no brake binding ?

That was one of the most notable things about mine, into neutral at about 30 mph it seems to go on and on, most free-running car I have ever had.

Hi Folks,

Well, I did think there was a fault with the brakes, they would stick on for a second or two after taking my foot off the brake pedal, so I checked all the callipers, slides etc, they were all spot on. After doing all that I checked this informative forum only to find the elegance has hill assist on the brake pedal!. So, the brakes are fine, it rolls very free.

I only have an oil temp gauge, which sits vertically when the oil is up to temp. I can only assume the thermostat is OK, the heater works just fine. 

It had an injector replaced just before I got it, it was coded in properly, and the volumes of the injectors were all matched up ok.  It's had injector cleaner through it.

I usually check at the pump, it seems to match very closely to the display on the dash. The car is set to imperial MPG.

I bought it from a pal, he bought it new, and said he's never had much more than low 40's with it?, but he definitely drove it harder than me, speed limits are there for rough guidance as far as he's concerned!, HA!. The worst I've had is 39mpg, the best 43.7 over a full tank.

Alan

@BisonAre you not looking at the Coolant Gauge that gets to a 90*oC indicated. EDIT. 

Is there no oil temp in the Maxidot?  

Please read about The Fix and some peoples experiences and increased fuel consumption. 

The Fix can be rolled back and a remap done and the flow device removed if there.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Hi Again,

My mistake, I was confusing oil temp and water temp, yes, the water temp sits perfectly at 90.

Alan.

Thats what they want you to believe, it can be +/- 15° from that and still indicate a rock solid 90°c.

20 hours ago, Bison said:

Hi folks,

New to the forum, so a question out of interest to start please?.

My car is a 2012 Yeti Greenline Elegance

I've read quite a few posts referring to fuel consumption of the 1.6 diesel engined car, and noticed the very large difference in fuel consumption from one seemingly identical car to the other.

Now, while I'm quite aware that the biggest single difference is likely to be caused by the driver, I just wondered if an actual fault or solution had been discovered?.

I read with surprise that people average mid 50's to the UK gallon, and on a (slowish) run can achieve MPG in the 60's!.

Now, here's the thing, I can easily eke a very good fuel consumption out of my motorcycles, my previous cars, both diesel and petrol, and indeed my classic car, but the lovely Yeti defeats me!. It seems to do 41 to 43MPG no matter how I drive it. Long journeys at 60MPH on motorways with the cruise control on, or off, yields 43MPG max, way off of other owners reports, The car is al;ways serviced, no fault codes, drives beautifully. The display can read a better instant consumption if I keep it below 1500rpm, but I have to say it feels way overgeared to be doing that, the engine does not sound happy, in fact, it sounds laboured below 1500.

To illustrate how miserly I can be with my driving, I have in the past managed 38MPG in my 2 1/2 litre V8 engined car, the petrol station up North was closed, I had to make it to the next one!.

So, any fixes known?, or is it just the way they are?.Cheers,

Alan.

I found precisely this with a 1.6 TDI engined Roomster I purchased new several years ago.

Only ever managed mid 40s MPG, despite claims of 60+

The best mpg I ever had from a yeti was an average of 50 with a 110 2L 2-wheel drive.

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

I found precisely this with a 1.6 TDI engined Roomster I purchased new several years ago.

Only ever managed mid 40s MPG, despite claims of 60+

The best mpg I ever had from a yeti was an average of 50 with a 110 2L 2-wheel drive.

MPG (brim to brim) over 8500 miles in a new 1.6 TDi (pre EA189 fix) Roomster.

Fuelly

Ironically the remapped 1.9 TDI it replaced was more fuel efficient!

• Like 1

I think I'll have a look to see if the flow device is fitted, that will tell a story.

I just spoke to my pal, he said he got a letter, but specifically asked for the fix not to be done, however, I suppose the garage could have done it anyway?, I'll have a look.

So, does anyone recommend a remap for economy?, regardless of whether or not the fix has been done?.

Alan.

• Like 1

As I recall at the time the owner had to specifically tell the service dept when the car was in for service that they did not want the fix otherwise it was done as a matter of course!

The Owner / Keeper was supposed to Sign to accept the Voluntary Recall Action being carried out and get their Peace of Mind Guarantee paperwork covering the vehicle for 2 years with T&C's.

Some greedy sods at dealerships just went and did as many as they got away with doing and being paid for doing.

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Some greedy sods at dealerships just went and did as many as they got away with doing and being paid for doing.

That's why as well as telling the service desk I did not want it done I left post it notes on the steering wheel, dash and windscreen saying not to apply the "Fix".

• Like 1