Metallic knocking noise

Hi all

I have owned my mk3 2017 1.0tsi for a couple of weeks now.

I noticed a metallic knocking / clicking sound from the front left wheel when going over small pot holes, speed bumps etc.

The car is from a proper Skoda dealer with 12 months warranty, I booked it in  and they have replaced the left suspension top bearing and bump stop? They also noticed the front pads were worn and kindly replaced both sides however the noise is still there, the same metallic knocking from the front left side?

It’s booked in again in a week, any ideas on what this might be ?

They tell me they have checked all over and made sure things are tight like engine mounts and various other stuff?

any replies appreciated

I had the same issue for 2 years which couldn't be solved. Visited different dealers with same knocking/cluncking noise when driving oves small bumps. They all just said that suspension is fine. Finally I decided to replace the gearbox mount by myself using the version for 1.4 tdi and the sound i completely gone.

Ok thanks

The mechanic came out with me and could hear the slight noise over speed bumps and said he didn’t know what it was and to book it back in, should I tell them to look at the gearbox mount ?

If it's under warranty then yes.  My wife's car gets the same sort of sound and it's had it's front dampers replaced at a Dealership.

I don't know if you can get uprated or better aftermarket mounts as obviously some of the factory ones don't seem very long lasting.

2 hours ago, Jfabia said:

So is your wife’s car a fabia? Is this a common issue with the fabia? 

My wife's car is a 2015 Fabia Mk3, I do not know  if it is a common problem but by this thread and others I have seen it does not look like it is unknown.

2 hours ago, Jfabia said:

Should I have bought a polo? Lol

No, that's just another VW and German product, and not a Fabia anyway, generally if you can afford it you should go for a Toyota or Honda but that would not be a popular sentiment here I would guess, but bear in mind I run an old British car and have had a few old and brand new British cars so really know about suffering.  Personally now unless I was wealthy I'd not buy a newish car of any sort.

My wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS started making swishy/rubbery noises while was under UK new car warranty, VW dealership eventually replaced the "petrol engined" gearbox mounting for the "diesel TDI engined" equivalent, and that sorted that noise out.

One way to try to find out where the issue stems from might be to grab the top of the engine and try to rock it back and forwards, the engine in my wife's Polo, when rocked by hand, made strange noises until that gearbox mounting was replaced.

On the question "should I have bought a Polo?" all these small VW Group cars have shared the same under pinnings or running gear, and that means Skoda as in key parts manufactured in CZ and/or in that locality, so no escape by buying a similar sized car from VW, SEAT or Audi for the time being as the Fabia is the "mother" version for these underpinnings or running gear.

Maybe a strange thing, but when I started looking at which versions were used by each VW marque, there was a newer version used by one Fabia - ie the part number had been changed to a later platform than the original 6Q one, which indicated a part revision as well as maybe some other reason. Many of these parts have remained unchanged since Fabia first used them at launch of MK1 Fabia.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

One way to try to find out where the issue stems from might be to grab the top of the engine and try to rock it back and forwards, the engine in my wife's Polo, when rocked by hand, made strange noises until that gearbox mounting was replaced.

In my case it was absolutely the same. After replacement I can barely move engine by hand. Actually the dealer here replaced the mount, but instead using diesel one, they fitted same mount for petrol engines with no effect.

ETA: Two people posted whilst I was still typing this time.

Have a look for the issue on the site, I've seen the dogbone mentioned before and getting a different one to parts catalogue but I can't remember if it was with a MK3 Fabia.  Or put up another thread with that in the title if you don't get more responses from this thread.

I should have put I've not investigated on my wife's car as the noise isn't that bad and often can't be heard over all the strange noises from the engine bay or the tyre noise (or is that wheel bearings) but until it get warmer I don't bother, nothing was mentioned at the MoT or servicing.

To be sure which mount, if any, is causing the knocking on your car you'd need to investigate but starting with the dogbone might speed things up, however never assume it's just one item or cause when things are wrong do check for more.

I'd follow your findings with interest but no real desire to do the work however easy and inexpensive it might be, working on car is just a PITA and under them also a pain in the neck . . . back, arms, legs, just a total pain.

Good luck, I'm sure I'd not be the only one interested to know how you get on.

Edited by nta16

1 minute ago, Ivajlo said:

In my case it was absolutely the same. After replacement I can barely move engine by hand. Actually the dealer here replaced the mount, but instead using diesel one, they fitted same mount for petrol engines with no effect.

Which mount is it? There are two parts in my previous post ? The mount and the dogbone thing?

Thanks

Did I see a dogbone with polybush insert or polybush insert for existing oe am I on Fantasy Island again?

2 hours ago, Ivajlo said:

I read that the official "VW Group repair pathway for warranty repairs" was to remove upper mounting, absolutely cover with what in my case looked a lot like Copper Grease - and that meant covering the rubber part with this stuff, and refit.  Now that worked very well - for a few days only!  I only worked out that they had used Copper Grease because there was signs of it around the engine bay - then I looked down at the mounting!

2 hours ago, Ivajlo said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301964198707

This is the mount. Part number of my original mount was 6Q0 199 555 AR. Replacement mount number is 6Q0 199 555 AT.

In the case of my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, the mounting was changed from "AR" to "AS".  I'm not too sure how these versions vary in stiffness ie "AR" > "AS" > "AT",  "AR" has been "normal petrol engines only" ie excluding the 1.8T, since the launch of Fabia which predates 9N Polo, "AS" was same but for "diesel engines only, I think charged ones only" since the launch of Fabia.

Edit:- some similar cars from one of the VW Group marques were fitted with 6C0 199 555 B, maybe even just Fabia MK3, I've forgotten, which by the part number change infers that that part had been updated during the "6C" build period, while all the earlier/other versions were still being fitted to certain versions of these cars.

Edited by rum4mo

Ok thanks

So what do you recommend I say to my dealer? Will they be aware of the need to change the part for a different version? Is it a documented thing on the Skoda system ? 

If you are paying for this repair, I'd strongly advise you to discuss this with your dealership, even still do so if it is a warranty repair, as this change of part version did seem to come from VW Group, but from which or all I can't say.

I've either forgotten or never got round to finding out what the difference from the "AS" to the "AT" was as at that time, the talk was always "get the AS version fitted" which was said to be the suggestion from VW Group HQ.

I've just checked, at least for VW Polo 1.2TSI, "AT" is used now on cars with DSG and also for Diesel engined cars, so probably the "AT" is stiffer than the "AS" - again, currently it is now the "AS" version that is listed against 1.0/1.2TSI engined Polos with manual trans.

It is possible to view the part number of the upper mounting currently fitted, tricky, but possible, that was the first thing that I did on my wife's 2015 Polo to establish which version was fitted before it was handed in for warranty work.

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

I've just checked, at least for VW Polo 1.2TSI, "AT" is used now on cars with DSG and also for Diesel engined cars, so probably the "AT" is stiffer than the "AS" - again, currently it is now the "AS" version that is listed against 1.0/1.2TSI engined Polos with manual trans.

It is possible to view the part number of the upper mounting currently fitted, tricky, but possible, that was the first thing that I did on my wife's 2015 Polo to establish which version was fitted before it was handed in for warranty work.

Where would I find the mount? Would I be able to shine a torch and find it?