Metallic knocking noise

13 hours ago, rum4mo said:

In the case of my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, the mounting was changed from "AR" to "AS".  I'm not too sure how these versions vary in stiffness ie "AR" > "AS" > "AT",  "AR" has been "normal petrol engines only" ie excluding the 1.8T, since the launch of Fabia which predates 9N Polo, "AS" was same but for "diesel engines only, I think charged ones only" since the launch of Fabia.

As far as I know AT is the stiffest version of the mount. This was told me by the guys form online shop which delivered the part. 

14 hours ago, Jfabia said:

It is possible to view the part number of the upper mounting currently fitted, tricky, but possible, that was the first thing that I did on my wife's 2015 Polo to establish which version was fitted before it was handed in for warranty work.

Where would I look under the bonnet for this ?

2 hours ago, Jfabia said:

Where would I look under the bonnet for this ?

Looking in from standing in front of the open bonnet, you will find it by looking at the method that the end of the gearbox is fixed/hung from the car's frame, maybe beside the battery tray or slightly covered by the battery tray.

Ok thanks I’ll have a look later

I’m waiting for a call from the service manager to discuss what I’ve found on here, hopefully he will explore the issue further and replace the mount if that’s the issue.

Sorry I don't know if it's even off the car, seem to have a cone shape below the head, any fixings broken around the battery or connection.

What I can tell you from the photo is, that you are going on a long journey  .  .  .  of discovery. 😁

Any new fixings of the same type and size anywhere, is it a shear-head bolt or just broken, is it even from the car or just dropped there  from somewhere or perhaps an untidy tool box.

What size is it. it looks a bit cheap and nasty, hopefully it's not from the car.

You could try putting up another thread those with more knowledge and experience might identify it straight away, but not me I'm afraid.

Also found this floating around the battery bay ?

It might be the broken end of a hose clip bolt like this:-

R2650247-01.jpg.efae77f35f0b98f2a255afb51b08f411.jpg

But I don't think Skoda use them?

Thanks, AG Falco

If it is it would be a cheaper version of the Norma and (ETA: other better known one  - Mikalor, just remembered - I can't think of now) always get the Norma ones as they have a sort of clasp to hold the band each side rather than welds that can break).

The hose clips on my wife's car are the reusable sprung type that are a pain  to squeeze off and on. 

Edited by nta16
ETA:

I found a spanner in one of my cars and wondered why no one had retrieved it but when I tried I discovered why, got it out after some effort and it was very rusty so might have been there a good while, I'd had the car a number of months and not noticed or heard it.

I like Knipex stuff always good quality, slim and strong!

For these "constant tension" pipe clips, I bought a Laser Tools version which is just a "rack" sort of tool, originally for taking the large constant tension clips of the charge pipe on EA211 1.2TSI engine, it also works very well, and as it is short/squat/flat, it came in very handy when slacking off the heater hose on my B8 S4 to slide back far enough to bleed the air of the system, using normal long handled pliers was just too awkward as these clips were partly under an overhang with the firewall in front of them.

I've also got pliers that have swivel inserts on the jaws, they were bought for something else, but work on these clips very well, though that pair of pliers were cheap and nasty, but maybe good enough for long enough for a DIYer!!

No answer on the extremely small sheared off bolt head other than it looks like a wheel bolt for a roughly 1/6 scale same car!

• Like 1

Whatever that file/link/wotsit is isn't not opening, perhaps you have to make it public or sumfink but it's not not my old machines others had trouble opening one of those in a past thread.

I'll get me "cans" and see if it sounds the same as our noise.

Edited by nta16
  • Love it! 1

5 minutes ago, Jfabia said:

iPhones not sure if that makes any difference?

Living up to the i-can'tPhone as I call them.  😁

1 minute ago, Jfabia said:

Try this one 

IMG_2813.MOV

Nope, sorry not for me on a PC using Micro****.  I can't remember how it was resolved previously, or more likely had no idea.  Can you cut it to audio track only / audio recording, does that make any odds.

Blimey, gotta name that toon in two, audio was only a second long.  I could imagine that being one of those gearbox mounts as it has a sort of rocking sound - but - sorry, I really don't know, other than it's not quite the same as ours as ours has a slight squeak to the end, perhaps suggesting ours is more worn/ loose / faulty.

I've found noise, like water (leaks), do travel and where it ends can be quite far from where it begins.

You could try strapping/clipping/tying a listening or recording device  [ETA: spare iPhone] to a couple of areas under the car like near front left damper or both gearbox mounts and see where the noise is loudest/most distinct.

Or hopefully someone else might know from your recording here.

Edited by nta16
ETA:
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, nta16 said:

You could try strapping/clipping/tying a listening or recording device  [ETA: spare iPhone] to a couple of areas under the car like near front left damper or both gearbox mounts and see where the noise is loudest/most distinct.

Sorry, forgot to put you can buy multi channel listening devices to clip to various locations at once and flick through the channels until you find the one it seems to be.  I think you can get them very cheap and possibly very s/h after being used for the same sort of thing once,  The very cheap ones have thin leads so careful placement around moving parts, or a touch of the Isadora Duncans.

Edited by nta16

What a good idea for my next "tools" purchase, I've thought about getting that sort of thing many times in the past but not yet blundered upon a good selection of them.

I did buy a mechanics stethoscope maybe years ago - but it sort of dematerialised when we moved house roughly 25 years ago, along with 1 out of a group of 4 Iridium spark plugs for my good old and sadly missed Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4, my wife's binocs and her camera(I was BTCC'ng the day before the move!), I bought a new mechanics stethoscope a few years ago and I still know exactly where it is - but that does not necessarily mean that I don't "need" one of these listening kits!