Jump start ground point "A"

Hi All,

I have looked for the answer here and elsewhere, but haven't found a specific answer. The mk3 Octavia owner's manual, p290 fig. 336 says you "use ground point "A" if you have stop start sys. without stop/start, connect -ve to engine block or solid metal part bolted to it as your ground point".  I don't have stop/start sys.  I recently bought a NOCO GB40 lithium boost jump starter, the -ve cable is too short to reach any ground point other than point "A".

My thoughts are ground point "A", is the obvious ground point - with or without stop/start - what is the real technical reason (obviously above my pay grade), as to why I should not use it, as the manual implies?  

Thanks for your help

Using point A is fine on all cars 👍

The only reason it's mentioned in regard to stop/start is to make sure the battery monitoring system is aware of any added energy during jump starting.

totally agree with @langers2k, ground point A, is still a perfectly acceptable ground point and can be used for charging or jump starting without any issue. 

Unfortunately the manuals sometimes only add to confusion as they have to avoid being too technical 😃.

As pointed out if the car was to have stop start, then you must only use Ground point A as connecting a charger or jump lead directly to the -ve battery terminal will (for want of a better description), confuse the battery monitoring system with the additional power being applied during charging or jump starting. 

Thanks langers2k & Paulski for clearing this up for me. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but it'll be handy to help someone else out if needed.

Thanks again,

Wingco

• 10 months later...
On 06/03/2022 at 12:29, wingco said:

Hi All,

I have looked for the answer here and elsewhere, but haven't found a specific answer. The mk3 Octavia owner's manual, p290 fig. 336 says you "use ground point "A" if you have stop start sys. without stop/start, connect -ve to engine block or solid metal part bolted to it as your ground point".  I don't have stop/start sys.  I recently bought a NOCO GB40 lithium boost jump starter, the -ve cable is too short to reach any ground point other than point "A".

My thoughts are ground point "A", is the obvious ground point - with or without stop/start - what is the real technical reason (obviously above my pay grade), as to why I should not use it, as the manual implies?  

Thanks for your help

My Mk3 Octavia Owners manual only has 264 pages 😞 Any chance you could add fig 336

On 06/03/2022 at 12:29, wingco said:

I don't have stop/start sys.

Really? - on a 2017 1.4TSI start/stop was standard on UK spec models.

My previous 2015 1.4TSi definitely had start/stop, as does my current 2016 1.8TSI.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1