Good bye Skoda, old friend.

Ju1ian1001

Well i'm very sad to say, i am leaving the Skoda family next week. to leave is making my feel sad but the fait has claimed another MK3 Octavia 1.4TSi because of the woeful DQ220 DSG gearbox and daulmass flywheel combo. My car has had a weep from the box for a while (a very small weep) and now has an unusual dsg fluid on the top of the box under the starter motor, plus the dual mass is rattling and sometimes sounds like a shovel.

The car still drives perfectly in all modes and is still silky smooth changing gear either automatically or manually, but for how much longer?

Well i'm not going to find out as just bought a 2019 Mazda 2 sport nav 1.5 sky active, yes it's less power (90BHP) but has everything my Octy has, and it's a manual (have not driven for 2 and a half years) in candy apple red.

And i can't justify £3.5k for a new gearbox plus labour to fit and can't justify £1.9k for the clutch pack.

• Sad 2

@Ju1ian1001 Sorry to hear this.

Was your car one that was part of the Service Campaign '34H5' started in 2017 on some DQ200's from 2013-2015 ?

This was a software update introduced because of heat & pressure issues which could cause breakage and cracks and failures after the Service Campaign in on 2009-2012 DQ200's changing the oil from Synthetic to mineral and the software update. 

Edited by roottoot

26 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Ju1ian1001 Sorry to hear this.

Was your car one that was part of the Service Campaign '34H5' started in 2017 on some DQ200's from 2013-2015 ?

This was a software update introduced because of heat & pressure issues which could cause breakage and cracks and failures after the Service Campaign in on 2009-2012 DQ200's changing the oil from Synthetic to mineral and the software update. 

I don't know to be honest, i had a obd thing plugged in all the time i've had the car as i knew about the service campaign, DSG temp has never gone above 40 degrees but i don't know what the pressures should be, and Pete i'm still going to frequent the forum as still love Skoda's, just going back to my roots as Mazda's have been in the family since 1986 with my dads first 626, my brother still has 2 very rare 626 coupes, 1 being a ultra rare TWR edition that had a factory body kit and tweaked ECU, gave 170bhp rather then 150bhp, back in 1989 and 1991 that was huge power out of a 2.0ltr 16v engine, now that common out a tiny 1.4 16v engine. shame the coupes are not roadworthy, brilliant things to drive.

Edited by Ju1ian1001
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

This is a sad day because I have let the karoq 1.5tsi manual go. I was having trouble with kangarooing on set off after the update in 2018 but I wasn't experiencing it before the update but the dealer said it had to be done when I had the first service. I was also getting a knocking noise on the front end when turning right and left and reversing. The dealer had it in their workshop numerous times and changed parts on the three occasions, the only time the noise went away for any length of time was when they said they had used a different grease, apparently from Audi. I was also experiencing gearbox or clutch problems, the gear change was very notchy but the dealer said they couldn't find a problem. The brake discs and pads needed changing after 49000 miles which was disappointing because I had two previous yeti's which after 70000 miles the discs were still ok. The final straw came when two door solenoids failed 5 weeks out of warranty, the dealer got Skoda to pay a fair percentage of the bill but I no longer think Skoda are as well built as they used to be which is a shame because I have enjoyed the ownership of two fantastic yeti's but the karoq became a disappointment and not a pleasure to drive. So goodbye to you all and good luck with your vehicle's.

• Sad 1

• 11 months later...

So i have had my Mazda 2,  JYN (reg number ends in JYN) for just over a year and done a tad over 5,000 miles and have to say a actually love the little thing. the I.C.E system works with out fault all the time and sounds better then all the Skoda's i have had. The 1.5 sky active engine is a peach, yes it only has 90bhp and 88nm's of torque but loves to rev, and the gearbox ratios from 1st to 4th are suited for this, 5th is only really good on fast A roads and motorways. its comfy on long runs and around town (which is what i mainly do) i'm getting 46.5mpg and its constantly  using high revs coz as said it loves to rev. It handles really well but motorway expansion joints makes the suspension thump. It's not used a drop of oil at all. 2 niggle's is the boot, i miss the large boot of the octavia's, and no 6th gear. my biggest gripe is the tyres fitted, they are OEM tyres, but Toyo Proxy's are horrid, OK'ish in the dry but in the wet forget it, they are horrid horrid horrid. the absolute best bit is the colour, soul crystal red is just wow, polish's up really well and looks fantastic from every angle in the wet and dry. Highly recommend these little Mazda's but if you can get one go for the 124bhp spec 1.5 sky active engine and avoid the 70bhp version (very rare to be honest.)  Rest assured i still want a late MK3 VRS 245. in Rally green though.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 18:58, Breezy_Pete said:

Sorry to hear you are moving on, but hope the new car serves you very well.

Your kind help on many occasions with MOT related questions was much appreciated. :thumbup:

Love my Mazda as said above, still miss the 140bhp and 230nm's of torque, love the way i can throw it into a corner and 47mpg though. and a climate control system that actually clears the screen and windows properly in under 5 minutes; none of my Skoda's could ever do that. What am i saying give me a Octavia VRS 245 anyday.