TDI 2006 Alternator pulley is this likely correct

Would anyone know if this is likely the correct alternator clutch pulley for my 2006 PD100 TDI?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LUK-535001210-Freewheel-Clutch-alternator/dp/B00BAS92IW/ref=asc_df_B00BAS92IW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310657832094&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13033855033715432471&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007326&hvtargid=pla-404203190818&psc=1

I think mine is going to implode any second and so need to take action ASAP. I know it needs a spline tool to remove. 

I’m trying to decide whether to DIY it or not but either way I wouldn’t mind getting the part. For some reason Euro Car Parts don’t seem to list anything which seems odd.

Edited by silver50

Thanks for reply. Hoping mid morning I can take a better look and make inroads to removing the alternator.

Reason for post was in the hope of seeing if I could find stock locally earlier this morning. I understand there should be a part number on the pulley, under the cover but most fitment guides seemed to indicate that is probably the right pulley. 

if anyone was able to confirm I might’ve seen if a friend could pick one up for me.

Edited by silver50

I hadn't actually thought of looking for a part number on the pulley. :giggle:

I was going to suggest a much more indirect route of working out which 'version number' (leftmost column) alternator it is via this page: LLLParts

Then going to this page (item 2, scroll down loads) to see which pulley part number suits the alternator version: individual parts; note: - Fabia(FAB) [EUROPA 2006 year] (7zap.com)

Then see if there's any aftermarket cross-references in the extreme right-hand column corresponding to the relevant pulley part number.

Still may be useful as a strategy if you can see alternator part number relatively easily (more easily than pulley part number).

Edited by Pete_Ex-Wino

Many thanks. That was kind to post the above. As I say I’ll try mid morning to check things out, and perhaps firstly see if I can easily see pulley part number.

I got the terribly clattery noise (not too long a journey home yesterday with it) and I’d say 99% sure from alternator. Is this probably just from the pulley disintegrating and causing imbalance/clatter? 

Are you proposing to remove the belt to check as if I remember correctly, you should be able to hold the pulley and do a twisting motion on the pulley, stop the rotation of the pulley and hear the shaft/rotor assy freewheel - one direction only, and also spin the pulley and look for any run-out that may suggest bearing failure in the pulley. Unsure if these pulleys are a common failure item as I never had to replace one on my 170K and 180K old TDI's, but I have had a failure on the 1.9TDI of the belt tensioner pulley.

While this may sound the wrong way to do things, are there any local breakers that may have an alternator - many on ebay around the price of a new pulley and tool - as this appears to be a common alternator over the VAG group even over the MK2 Fabia (you would need to take yours to compare bolt hole location including angularity to each other) and may give you a few months warranty, getting you mobile.

Edited by KeithCheetham

No need to remove the belt to check the sprag clutch, the simplest is to observe if the belt flutters with the tensioner oscillating, you can also rotate the alternator shaft within the stationary pulley with the correct spline tool, it will tell you if the bearing is seized or snatching.

Thanks v much for all for the above input. Much appreciated. 

Job went smoothly taking alternator off the car (the pulley slid off alternator shaft when I released tension on the belt!) and managing to get a new pulley locally for £24. A garage friend quickly took off and replaced the pulley for me with the appropriate tool. 

For information purposes on the thread, the above part number

is a good one to go by. I would say this pulley seems super common to many 2004-2010 VAG vehicles, and some newer vehicles too. My pulley OE number was F-227628.XX.

• Like 1

Good stuff, and well done for doing it yersel. Had a pulley problem on my 1.9tdi and replaced whole alternator as the pulley had stripped the thread on it 😂 Another good learning experience and FYI all; non air con models have different parts!