Electric Parking Brake

Hi, I just want to check something please. 

When I stop my car and turn the ignition off should the electric parking brake light in the centre console come on. Over the last few days my "Handbrake" does not appear to be coming on when I stop.

Any ideas as to why ?

many thanks

2 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Yes it should. Could be related to the AutoHold, that you inadvertently switched off?... 🤔

+1

make sure u haven't turned off the autohold function.  the button next to ur park-brake and start-stop buttons.

15 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

So does the e brake still apply when autohold is off?

Previous posts made me doubt, thus I made a test tonight.

AutoHold ON + Engine switched off: Parking brake activates ('(P)' orange light switches ON on the centre console)

AutoHold OFF + Engine switched off: Parking brake doesn't activate ('(P)' light remains white on the centre console)

Note: In case it may help, here are some configuration inputs of my Mk3: MY2017 / DSG6 (DQ250) equipped / French model.

On 16/03/2022 at 10:42, roottoot said:

'Autohold' enabled or not (turned on or off) is not the e-Brake / Parking brake which just applies the rear brakes.

my apologies - ur correct.

i got my wires crossed.  Autohold (A) bares no effect on the parking brake.

i was meant to say that make sure the parking brake (P) symbol is illuminated orange.  this will engage the parking brake when u put the car in park, and turn the ignition off.  likewise, it will automatically turn off the park brake when u get in, and drive off - no need to release it.

u enable it by pulling up the park brake till the orange light is on.

if the parking brake is not illuminated, then the parking brake will not automatically engage/disengage.

@MarkyG82 - no, autohold function does not use the park brake.  it uses regular disc brakes.

1096879362_parkingbrakebutton.thumb.jpg.e2df7c7446a9d98688d4f54c3a1f9c0e.jpg

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

@MarkyG82 - no, autohold function does not use the park brake.  it uses regular disc brakes.

1096879362_parkingbrakebutton.thumb.jpg.e2df7c7446a9d98688d4f54c3a1f9c0e.jpg

See @Bap33post above. Seems that parking is affected by the autohold setting. Understood re the actual application of the brakes. Parking/handbrake has always been rear only as far as I can tell?

Important is that 'Autohold'  is not automatic in applying the brakes to hold the car.  (Hillhold Assist /Hillhold Control is different again.)

The brake pedal needs to be pushed hard enough to apply 'Autohold'.   

You can come to a stop and 'Autohold' is not applied if you are light on the brake pedal. 

The Parking Brake or Emergency brake as it might be called in the USA can be applied when moving, but do that at your own risk, or have a passenger do it if your pass out at their own risk. 

Tried on my way home today. If you turn autohold off the parking brake doesn't engage automatically at any point. Shifting to P or even turning off only applies the parking pawl in the gearbox.

Root, you say autohold doesn't hold the car. That's exactly what it does do no?

Pressing the button with the (A) symbol next to the one with (P) applies "autohold" - this automatically applies the handbrake when there is more than 5% inclination of the car.  You'll see a green (P) symbol in the dash when this is active. The button also lights up orange.

Apply the handbrake manually by pulling the (P) handle. The (P) in the dash is red at this point. It should also be red when you turn off the ignition after the autohold has applied the handbrake.

Autohold will also apply the handbrake and ease it off when you complete a hill start, allowing minimal roll backwards. (i have a 20% gradient to my parking garage and I get to stop at the top every time... it works well). I haven't tried things without the(A) button pushed, it is one of the first things I turned on and have left it alone since.

. Bret

@MarkyG82Yes the cars brakes hold the car with 'Autohold'  but that starts with you pushing the brake pedal hard enough and the cars brakes holding the car and then it holds it until you want it not to.

But if you stop with a gentle braking and do not push the brakes hard enough to have Autohold act then it is not held.  (This is with the Auto Hold enabled.)

People need to remember that 'P' / Parking Brake / e-Brake is applying the Parking Brake, rear wheels. (Like a manual hand brake did)

Autohold is using actuators and applying the brakes front and rear.   

Then Hill Hold / Hill Hold assist is different in different cars and can be in cars with 'Manual Hand Brakes and cars without 'Autohold' even.

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@MarkyG82Yes the cars brakes hold the car with 'Autohold'  but that starts with you pushing the brake pedal hard enough and the cars brakes holding the car and then it holds it until you want it not to.

But if you stop with a gentle braking and do not push the brakes hard enough to have Autohold act then it is not held.  (This is with the Auto Hold enabled.)

People need to remember that 'P' / Parking Brake / e-Brake is applying the Parking Brake, rear wheels. (Like a manual hand brake did)

Autohold is using actuators and applying the brakes front and rear.   

Then Hill Hold / Hill Hold assist is different in different cars and can be in cars with 'Manual Hand Brakes and cars without 'Autohold' even.

True, but, on the Superb the car will turn on the parking brake automatically if you have autohold on, once the car is shutdown, or the doors are open, or the seatbelt is unplugged

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I know it will.  Hence my question to the OP in my first post.

&  It will apply the e-brake even if Autohold is not on. 

Exactly, but, it will not turn the e-brake on if autohold is off

Well !

That initial question of mine has apparently opened a can of worms.

My car is a petrol hatchback with a  manual gearbox.

I have pressed the "A" button to the left of the "P" button and the missing functionality [ i.e the automatic application of the electronic handbrake ]  has returned. 

Taa Dah !

Thanks to all for their help, I must have inadvertently switched off the "A" button

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1