Engine size on newer cars

Belinda

I have been driving a 2007 1.9L Skoda Fabia diesel estate for about 12 years. I'm looking to buy a 'new' secondhand car and have seen some petrol 2015 and 2017 Skoda Fabias with 1.2L engines. I don't know much about engines, but I read something about newer cars having differently designed engines so that the smaller engine will not mean less power. Is this right, and would 2015 and/or 2017 have the newer type engines?

Grateful for any information 🙂

Welcome.

2015-2017 did have newer engines,

engines from 2016 were Euro 6 emissions.

2015 on will be Mk3 Fabia's and they are a Cam Belt not a timing chain.

Then 1.2 TSI 4 cylinders were dropped and you will find even Octavia's might have a 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder engine, also in Fabia, Rapids, Scalla, Kamiq & Karoqs. 

These engines then got GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filters) and the will have from 2018.

Best you go try a 1.2 TSI or a 1.0 TSI engined car they move along the road perfectly well with whatever power they have, be that 105,110,113,115 PS

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

A lot of modern small capacity engines are turbo charged, it is part of the manufacturers to improve economy and reduce emissions.

My partner has a 1.2TSi and it does the job perfectly well for every day use and it returns over 50mpg most of the time.

I find it a little sluggish if your carrying a lot of weight or are trying to accelerate quickly, but I drive a 2.0 TDI so it isn't really comparable.

As Roottoot said, try to test drive a couple and see what you think. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Belinda said:

I have been driving a 2007 1.9L Skoda Fabia diesel estate for about 12 years. I'm looking to buy a 'new' secondhand car and have seen some petrol 2015 and 2017 Skoda Fabias with 1.2L engines. I don't know much about engines, but I read something about newer cars having differently designed engines so that the smaller engine will not mean less power. Is this right, and would 2015 and/or 2017 have the newer type engines?

Grateful for any information 🙂

Is it a Fabia MK1 or MK2? If you don't know, see this wikipedia entry on the Fabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Fabia#Engines_2

Edited by Carlston
  • Groan 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1.2 4 cylinder petrol Fabia manual for 4 years and it never missed a beat as well as being quite economical.

I now have a 1.0 3 cylinder turbo petrol Fabia DSG and in everyday use its economy seems to be on a par with the 1.2 petrol I previously had.

Yesterday, I went to York and back on mainly dual carriageways and motorway; because of commuter time congestion I was rarely able to exceed 60mph; the distance travelled was 242 miles and I brimmed the tank as nearly as possible before leaving and just before getting home; the amount consumed was 19 litres which I thought quite good as some of the journey was stop/start and there are some quite steep hills.

The acceleration of the turbo engined car is quite adequate for my purposes but I am not a speed merchant.......I got that out of my system quite some years ago.......on the race track.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/03/2022 at 11:32, roottoot said:

Welcome.

2015-2017 did have newer engines,

engines from 2016 were Euro 6 emissions.

2015 on will be Mk3 Fabia's and they are a Cam Belt not a timing chain.

Then 1.2 TSI 4 cylinders were dropped and you will find even Octavia's might have a 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder engine, also in Fabia, Rapids, Scalla, Kamiq & Karoqs. 

These engines then got GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filters) and the will have from 2018.

Best you go try a 1.2 TSI or a 1.0 TSI engined car they move along the road perfectly well with whatever power they have, be that 105,110,113,115 PS

Hi again, I still haven't got my new used Skoda, but looking seriously now. I have seen a few that Fabia estates that are 1.0 TSI or 1.2 TSI, but 90PS. Would this be sluggish compared with my old 1.6 litre Fabia? I drive a 200 mile round trip about once a month, and also occasionally drive 300 miles from Sheffield to central Scotland with four adults and a boot full of luggage.

1 minute ago, Belinda said:

Hi again, I still haven't got my new used Skoda, but looking seriously now. I have seen a few that Fabia estates that are 1.0 TSI or 1.2 TSI, but 90PS. Would this be sluggish compared with my old 1.6 litre Fabia? I drive a 200 mile round trip about once a month, and also occasionally drive 300 miles from Sheffield to central Scotland with four adults and a boot full of luggage.

I meant my old 1.9 litre Fabia

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Hi Belinda, the 90PS would be ok - but keep an eye out for one with the 1.0 TSI 110PS engine. 

• Like 1

Hello. I have previously had a 1.2 litre Fabia Estate (2012 model 4 cylinder 5 speed manual) and I now have a 1.0 Fabia Estate (90ps 2021 model 3 cylinders but turbo charged with 7 speed automatic gearbox); frankly I see little or no difference in performance or economy between the  two; I imagine your 1.9 diesel will be more flexible and therefore require less gearchanging but I would not be surprised if it was in fact slower than either of mine but possibly a little more economical.

• Like 1