Paint coating

Diljit

All the coatings on the alloy wheels order Skoda Octavia and I'm assuming all the other models mine being silver and the wheel is a denim 17 if I remember correctly the name are these painted or are they powder coated from the factory

I doubt any new Skoda alloy rims are powder coated.

Powder coating is more suited to steel. When applied to aluminium, the alloy rim gives off gases when put in the oven at about 200 degrees centigrade to melt the powder and cure the paint.  This results in bubbles forming in the paint, so not a high quality finish. It's also difficult to remove powder coating if you want to repaint them at a later date. However, I could be wrong about some of these details...so do ask an expert.

5E0601025D

1 5E0 601 025 D aluminium rim 7JX17 ET49 4 PR-C7E
DENOM

5E0601025D 8Z8 diamond silver     2011.12...  

Light alloy wheel DENOM 17 "for OCTAVIA III

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2016-753/6/601-601070/

• Thanks 1

I have had dozens of alloy wheels powder coated going back to the mid 80's without ever a problem or a refusal, other than for a specific or lacquered finish I dont know any wheel refurbishers that are not powder coating as their standard finish.

That said I dont know what the factory finish is, at the minimum its a 2 pack epoxy oven cured spray finish, probably powder coated.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I have had dozens of alloy wheels powder coated going back to the mid 80's without ever a problem or a refusal, other than for a specific or lacquered finish I dont know any wheel refurbishers that are not powder coating as their standard finish.

When I purchased my previous Octavia as a one year old approved Skoda used car the dealer had painted the nearside rear OE fit alloy wheel, paint which came off the first time I washed the car!

So I took the wheel to the local powder coater in Southampton and the wheel was still perfect when my ex sold the car over 5 years later.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

I have worked 5 years in a powder paint shop.I will say that the most rims from early 90s are powder painted.I think I have powder painted 1000+ rims in my life, maybe 1% bubbled,and had to be sandblasted.

IMG_8904.thumb.jpeg.370dd037cfbc550b61e3657478e2ea7d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 08/11/2021 at 11:33, MATT0693 said:

It is best to just to test it as replace when it starts to degrade.

In most cases cars with a traditional timing belt/water pump set up will be having it changed inline with the pump interval, so roughly five years.

Most coolant products have a 5 year life span advertised these days, It is only the older blue stuff that is 2 years.

6 minutes ago, hansen1 said:

I have worked 5 years in a powder paint shop.I will say that the most rims from early 90s are powder painted.I think I have powder painted 1000+ rims in my life, maybe 1% bubbled,and had to be sandblasted.

5 minutes ago, hansen1 said:

In your opinion do you think the Wheels on the Octavia that come from the factory are actually powder-coated all are these some kind of spray what do they refer to as Tupac the wheels are 2019 denom 17 I know sometimes it is very hard to get the touch up paint just for the wheels this what makes me suspicious that is some form of powder coating

I have no proof that the Skoda alloys rims are powder coated,the only Skoda rims I ever painted was my steel rims.And they was powder coated!

I wanted a thicker coating on my winter rims, so I did a couple more paint coats and 1 coat of clear.

If we were unsure, we send them in the owen,if they come out with bubbles,,,,,,you know they are painted!IMG_9286.thumb.jpeg.4b18724e512dca812249a74511ff6106.jpeg

Edited by hansen1

I believe the lacquer over the silver base powder coat will be paint sprayed, I am basing that on wheels that I had powder coated in the 80's so times may have changed but I believe the principle is the same.

The reason that powder coating is unskilled compared to paint spraying is that the operator just has to wave the nozzle in the right areas, the metal object is electro-statically charged and the powder is an insulator, when the designed thickness of powder is built up any further does not stick and fall away, for this reason you cannot apply a second powder coat (the lacquer) over the first one.

Or at least that was the case back then.