What’s your best MPG?

I must have owned 30 cars but I’ve never come across MPG quite like my 18 year old Skoda Fabia 1.2

on my way home from work last night I got 62.6 MPG, over 33 miles averaging 42 MPH

Can’t quite believe it! I’m so happy 😀 

Is this normal? What do your Skoda’s do?

Chris 

390FE5E7-ED99-424E-B27C-C35B0B500D0B.jpeg

67EB6294-F193-486D-AC3B-6AA43E299B4E.jpeg

8DBA0733-B353-448B-9E54-BA89CE6D587D.jpeg

Best full tank average on our 1.2/12v is a shade under 52mpg, long-term cumulative average over last ten years is 42.

@nevsummer have you ever checked your brake servo vacuum hose for splits at the junctions of the hard plastic sections with the non-return valve.  Possibility that your car is running lean.  Do you have any means of scanning for fault codes?

1 hour ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Best full tank average on our 1.2/12v is a shade under 52mpg, long-term cumulative average over last ten years is 42.

@nevsummer have you ever checked your brake servo vacuum hose for splits at the junctions of the hard plastic sections with the non-return valve.  Possibility that your car is running lean.  Do you have any means of scanning for fault codes?

Its definitely running lean!!

16804 -  Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold  P0420 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent

🤣

17 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Sounds like a good thing but actually indicates something's wrong.

Is it an AZQ  or BME engine code?

It's an engine code from a scan with VCDS-Lite, not sure whether its a AZQ or BME engine  (3 cylinder, 1.2, 12V,  2004, Skoda Fabia Estate)

my 1.4 MPi classic, with the OG Skoda engine does 39 mpg outside town. in the city it does like 25 lol. It consumes A LOT of fuel when warming up

9 hours ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Have a look at that servo hose, and look at the sticker in the spare wheel well or service book for your engine code.

checked it out and i cant feel any leaky hoses & I've retested with VCDS lite & now it's

2 Faults Found:
16804 -  Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
        P0420 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
16555 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
        P0171 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

P0171 is 'too lean' fault code I think, so most likely a vacuum leak somewhere. 

See if there's a little port/vent on the top rim of the PCV valve near the oil filler cap.  Stick a finger over it with engine running and see if anything changes.

How many miles on the car?