Boot rattle

I’ve seen this posted a few times before, and I’m trying to nail this one. 

I’ve seen that adjusting these ‘stops’ or ‘wedges’ can help reduce or remove the rattle. I adjusted them fully DOWN on both sides, and I’m not sure it’s made any difference. I will keep testing, but just wanted to check if there are any hints and tips. Should they be fully up, down, sideways, removed… (joking obviously). 

thanks! 

32B0F6CF-4A67-4625-908E-89A89E353CC6.jpeg

Have you removed spare wheel, tools and opened and emptied the side storage units?

I had something similar on my Passat and turned out it was a wheel bolt in the storage unit wedged right down but not wedged enough for it not to rattle

8 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Have you removed spare wheel, tools and opened and emptied the side storage units?

I had something similar on my Passat and turned out it was a wheel bolt in the storage unit wedged right down but not wedged enough for it not to rattle

Yep, done all that! But I plan to do it again, as this noise is annoying! 

8 hours ago, vade04 said:

Underthe radar. I had this problem. Can it be adjusted. My fix was to wrap foam rubber around the catch. This has stopped the rattle

Yes. You can make a slight adjustment (using a hammer). Tap the striker downwards on the side that’s rattling and click the seat back in place. That would be a permanent fix. 
your foam works until it wears depending on how often the seats come down, as does something like wiring loom tape. 

18 hours ago, ArminTamzarian said:

Is there a guide anywhere for how to do that? 

Slacken of the bolts about a quarter turn and tap with a hammer down wood it only needs to move a couple of mm you will see how far it moves as it will have left a mark and re tighten 

put the wedges back to to original position first

dont undo the bolts to much as it will move to much 

18 hours ago, ArminTamzarian said:

Yep, done all that! But I plan to do it again, as this noise is annoying! 

Doh.

1 more thing I can think of is try pushing the inside panel on the actual boot everywhere and see if you get a rattle.

Or if you think it’s actually the boot, can you push down on different areas from the outside and have someone from the inside push just after you push, if it rattles then bingo found the issue

• 11 months later...

I have just sorted my boot rattle, it was the trim under the rear windscreen. I guess over time the clips holding the trim have become loose and it just sort of flapped about when going over bumps. Interestingly enough, the edge of the window on each side had the worst rattle.

I found some foam and pushed that into the corners, between the glass and the trim. I then followed the trim and created a foam layer between the trim and the window. It has completely sorted the annoying rattle, coudn't believe it!

• Like 2

Also, make sure the parcel shelf is "securely" sitting in its holders........sometimes you think they are in place but need quite a hard thump for them to seat in properly.