Reset DSG ‘learning’

My pre loved MY20 seems reluctant to go (you have to push quite hard on the accelerator) and likes to hold gears too long (even when in D and not Sport) and releasing pressure on the peddle doesn’t cause it to change up a gear like in most autos I’ve driven.

it also seems to never be in the right gear when slowing down and cornering. 

is this normal? Would resetting the DSG help it learn my driving style? 

Seen a few videos on how to do it as well

as posts saying not to as it will damage the gearbox - though I can’t see how it would as it’s just learning gear change patterns. 

My dealer has mentioned the dsg reset: he was referring to it being done at each service, although I don't recall why we got on to that subject and I don't know if my Kodiaq (49k miles) has had it done.

There's a lot about it on the internet: seems to be a case if ignition on (engine off), hold down acccekeator at bottom most position for 10 to 20 seconds, release accelerator, start engine. Done.

Almost seems too simple but could be correct. One post did say hold pressure on brake during the pressing of accelerator but none of the others did.

Anyone got any experience if this?

10 hours ago, simonharper said:

reluctant to go (you have to push quite hard on the accelerator)

This is a Kodiaq 'characteristic'... it's definitely suffers from throttle lag. It's probably the singular most annoying thing about it, but I think you just get used to it (or maybe I have because I'm onto my second bear and have been driving them for over 4 years now!).

As for your other points - it's difficult to know whether it's a real issue, or just your expectations after experience with other auto 'boxes. There's no doubt that DSG boxes behave differently, and you may just need to get used to how it works.

11 hours ago, simonharper said:

Would resetting the DSG help it learn my driving style? 

No. DSG 'boxes do not learn anyone's driving style. That's a myth.

Thanks again Yogi-Bear, appreiate the insight. Will see how I get on with it. Its more lower speed stuff where its noticeable. On the move the 2L TDI is a nippy thing for overtakes. Gear chnages with the paddles are good too ;)

My DSG box (DQ250) is pretty good, better than other automatics I have driven. 

It does occasionally pick the wrong gear for roundabouts, then you end up being shot out the roundabout if you press the accelerator a little too much, so now I opt for manual intervention. 

The only time it will hold a gear for a prolonged period is if it is trying to do a DPF regen, other than that the shift points are not to far off where I would want to change in a manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Kodiaq pedal is just a bit lazy.  You can get a pedal box which increases pedal response.. I remember setting the pedal parameters years ago with VAG-COM on old Audi TDi's..  so maybe something can be done by VCDS nowadays..  I also find the gears hold a bit long sometimes, I was just assuming it was the car trying to shift all its mass with a small 1.5 engine.. 

On 08/04/2022 at 13:59, technics100 said:

I think the Kodiaq pedal is just a bit lazy.  You can get a pedal box which increases pedal response.. I remember setting the pedal parameters years ago with VAG-COM on old Audi TDi's..  so maybe something can be done by VCDS nowadays..  I also find the gears hold a bit long sometimes, I was just assuming it was the car trying to shift all its mass with a small 1.5 engine.. 

Whats a pedal box? not hear dof that. Been looking at the power boost chips but for me the 190 is quick enough (its not a sports car after all), just i find modulating the accelerator not easy after driving LR's for 25 years. The Kodiaq peddle feels very stiff and its a challenge to find the right point to get accelrartion in gear without having it drop a gear and lurch off.

On 30/03/2022 at 10:53, MATT0693 said:

My DSG box (DQ250) is pretty good, better than other automatics I have driven. 

It does occasionally pick the wrong gear for roundabouts, then you end up being shot out the roundabout if you press the accelerator a little too much, so now I opt for manual intervention. 

The only time it will hold a gear for a prolonged period is if it is trying to do a DPF regen, other than that the shift points are not to far off where I would want to change in a manual.

Might be a different setup in the Kodiaq? Dunno. I find I have to intervene using the paddles a lot around town or on twisty or hilly B roads as its hardly ever in the right gear or doesnt want to drop down as I've stopped accelerating. When the engine stops using the stop start system at a junction, I'll tug the steering wheel a little to fire up the engine again so there is less delay when needing to pull out quickly.

1 hour ago, simonharper said:

Whats a pedal box?

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/skoda/kodiaq-from-2017-onwards/2-0-tdi-4x4-190ps140kw-1968-ccm/#go

No idea if that's the right page for your car (think so looking at your profile) - but pretty sure the pedal box listed is the same anyway.

1 hour ago, simonharper said:

modulating the accelerator not easy after driving LR's for 25 years

It's not just you. I'm onto my second Kodiaq and I still find it difficult. I'm pretty sure the accelerator pedal in the vRS is a binary switch, especially in sport mode - it either does nothing or drops 2 gears and sends you flying 🤪.

• Love it! 1

On 13/04/2022 at 12:22, simonharper said:

Whats a pedal box? not hear dof that. Been looking at the power boost chips but for me the 190 is quick enough (its not a sports car after all), just i find modulating the accelerator not easy after driving LR's for 25 years. The Kodiaq peddle feels very stiff and its a challenge to find the right point to get accelrartion in gear without having it drop a gear and lurch off.

https://www.racechip.co.uk/pedal-box/xlr.html 

This is the latest version.. it basically plugs into the throttle pedal and you can adjust the sensitivity of the pedal.. it helps the the lag

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So, we just spent a week in the hills and mountains of mid Wales.  Beautiful area and well worth a visit - but not in a 2L diesel Kodiaq with DSG. The car was always hunting for the right gear, or refused to change down on up hill sections most times (just struggled in whatever gear it decided to be in unless I mashed the peddle to force a kick down) and then many times refused to change down to give some engine braking on the way down. Does it even know the attitude the car is in to inform it to drop a gear where starting up hill or going down hill? Even at junctions where speed was of the essence due to visibility it struggled to accelerate off the line making us feel very vulnerable. Overall a totally irritating and uncomfortable experience - even my daughter sat in the rear started asking if the car would ever change up or down a gear as it was so noticeable!

Not convinced this is a DSG or Kodiaq trait so will be asking my dealer to reset the gearbox using their kit and check it over. Needless to say they I am sure will say they can't find a fault... if they say 'they are all like this / its a trip of the car' I'll get grumpy with them! Maybe I will also take a similar aged and engined car out for a long test to see if it's the same?

Love the car, it ticks all the right boxes for us for practicality, size, looks and usability on A roads and motorways - hate the damn DSG gearbox on twisty/hilly B roads and single track mountain roads. Other auto's I've had rarely if ever irritated so much!

*rant mode off and relax*

Anyway... it looks pretty on the hill side at least 

IMG_3585.jpeg

Hi Mr Toot, yes I tried Sport mode (mostly left it in Sport as its kicks down more readily TBH) and this is better, but pulling away it was still regularly an 'experience' as the delay in actually moving is still there. In Sport though, once the car has decided to move beyond a crawl, it would bolt off very rapidly requiring me to either have to rapidly let the accelerator loose or have to brake. So not an entirely comfortable solution on single track road junctions.

In Sport it still can't decide what gear to be in but does sort it self out more quickly. Entering a downhill bend and braking rarely caused the gear box to change down a gear so you have power just before the apex to accelerate out of the bend. Again it does kick down more readily than when in Drive but still mostly after the apex and after I've pushed the accelerator... so still quite a delayed reaction.

In Sport of course it holds the rev longer so we end up with the engine at high revs for quite a while until it realises I am no longer accelerating.

• Thanks 1

Easy enough to use the shifter between S and back to D and to S as required if not changing manually and going back to D once on the go or then to S.

They are Semi-Automatics. 

Lots of people fit a 'Pedal Box' and say that has the DSG behaving better. 

Edited by roottoot

I thought the DSG reset was about the control unit relearning the engagement points of the clutches, rather than anything to do with driving style?

In D my car wants to be in top gear at unfeasibly slow speeds.  7th at 30mph?  At least it's fairly predictable which makes junctions manageable.

4 hours ago, simonharper said:

Shouldn't have to use the shifter all the time - might as well have bought a manual.

Your delay in moving off. Are you sure it's defo the gearbox and not autohold not releasing the brakes quick enough for you?

Your 'searching for gears' issue. You mention uphill and downhill - what about on the flat. Does the gearbox still choose the wrong gears when on flat roads?

15 hours ago, roottoot said:

^^^ Very true.

But then if they had made them to suit driving hill roads / alpine roures in a way that drivers want  they would never have got them to achieve the WLTP figures when tested in that regime or the RDE2. 

True, its just that all my previous autos never exhibited these issues.

13 hours ago, Dappernut said:

I thought the DSG reset was about the control unit relearning the engagement points of the clutches, rather than anything to do with driving style?

In D my car wants to be in top gear at unfeasibly slow speeds.  7th at 30mph?  At least it's fairly predictable which makes junctions manageable.

Maybe so and maybe it needs a dealer to fully reset? I will ask of course. But the brochure does say this...

DIRECT SHIFT GEARBOX (DSG)
DSG automatically adapts to your driving style, whilst taking road conditions into account.
It reduces the strain on the engine and stress to the driver, by deciding when to change gear,
leaving you free to concentrate on the journey.

...so it would suggest the gearbox adapts constantly. If it does and retains settings, it can be reset I assume?

12 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Your delay in moving off. Are you sure it's defo the gearbox and not autohold not releasing the brakes quick enough for you?

Your 'searching for gears' issue. You mention uphill and downhill - what about on the flat. Does the gearbox still choose the wrong gears when on flat roads?

Deffo either the gearbox or engine mapping, the auto hold was not active and even when it is, it causes no appreciable delay in pulling away to be honest. The engine just appears to have no power at all and then suddenly it does, in D or S. Leaves you hanging wondering when it will actually pull the car away.

@simonharper

It has a short memory.

I would try and get a road test in a Kodiaq pretty much identical to yours to compare.

Where your previous automatics ones built  pre WLTP Certification.   VW Group had issues getting some certificated.

Many Auto's, Semi Auto's or Automated Manuals are just fine, pre WLTP ones or post.

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1