Replace Tailgate - How complicated it it?

ca6

I've come to realize that the 2011 Roomster I picked up three years ago had some shoddy rust fixes on the tail gate, and I think the easiest would be to just replace the tailgate with a second hand and respray it (I have an uncommon colour (9157/F8L)) instead of trying to fix the rust.

There's rust along the lower outer edge, and also rust on the shelf piece above the number plate.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard, and knows how comlicated it is?

Edited by ca6

I have the same rust issue on my 2011 Roomster, disappointing as there was no rust on the 2008 Roomster that it replaced.

I would think that mechanically removing the tailgate wouldn’t be an issue however in theory the wiring would need to be removed from the old tailgate before it is removed from the car and put into the replacement tailgate. However, I would be tempted to cut the loom between the main body and the tailgate and either crimp the wires back together or use a repair kit. Given the age of the car unless the loom has been repaired it is likely that the loom is damaged at that point any way.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old thread but thought I  would add, Feel free to fact check me but my ex like me has a Roomster but had a big dent and wiper motor innop so she bought a complete tailgate of eBay.

Just asked her again and she says it literally just plugged in.but couldn't remember exactly where.

Thing is she put aside a morning to do it and it wasn't needed so guessing she didn't follow the wires back far.

Again please fact check me and next time I go to the scrappers will ask !!