Anyone driven several engines?

I wish to purchase a new octavia elegance, estate, , but cannot decide which engine to choose. I drive about 10,000 miles pa. I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can offer.:2002pimp:

I have driven a 2.0 petrol, 1.9TDI and PD140 TDI.

I love the diesels and hate the petrol engine, but that is because i prefer to drive diesels. As Chris rightly said go find a nice dealer and try the ones you are interested in.

My favourite was definately the 2.0TDI 140, but as I said I'm biased and just to add firther confusion there is also a 170BHP vRS comming out soon(ish) :)

I have a 1.9 TDI which is fine for me. Ir is nippy enough and cruises comfortably at 80 mph for long periods. It can be wound up to a clock speed of 120 mph but my Sat Nav was registering 108 mph.

I had extended loan of a 2.0 TDI which was great fun. If you enjoy showing most motorists, including quite a large part of the BMW range a clean pair of heels then this is the engine to go for.

With my driving, which is moderate acceleration, both engines return an average fuel consumption in the mid 50 mpg range. On long motorway runs I can get both to average well over 60 mpg.

Frankly with a mileage of just 10,000 a year, fuel economy is not going to be as much of an issue when you way it up against the extra capital cost a diesel will be. If outright performance is not an issue for you then my vote would be for the 1.6 FSI, critcally acclaimed by the motoring press not only in the Octavia but accross the VAG range of cars. Remember, the 1.6 FSI Ambiente (albeit in hatchback form) has won 'What Car' Small Family Car of the Year for the last two years :thumbup:

I have a 2.0 tdi, and have driven the 2.0 fsi on loan from teh dealer. The tdi feels quicker and probably is, but it's so noisy compared to the petrol. you can barely hear the petrol engine at idle whereas the tdi wakes up most of my neighbours. Ig your'e only doing 10k miles per year then there's no financial benefit from getting the diesel.

My favourite was definately the 2.0TDI 140' date=' but as I said I'm biased and just to add firther confusion there is also a 170BHP vRS comming out soon(ish) :)[/quote']

no confusion for our friend here though. He is looking for an elegance model. Have to agree though, the 2.0 TDI is a fantastic engine. I only do 10k or less a year but i just had to have it. It's way more advanced than the 2.0FSI and gets quieter as you run it in. I've driven diesels for years now but i imagine if you had a petrol car before the extra noise would take some getting used to.

The mid range acceleration is phenomenal considering the fact its really just a family car. I've had mine for over 6 months now and it still makes me smile everytime i play with the loud pedal not to mention the confused look on people faces when they realise they have just been overtaken so rapidly by a Skoda (safely I might add).

Word of warning though. If you opt for the 2.0 TDI be sure to specify ESP. This car can be a real handful particularly in the wet

If you do try a 2.0FSI make sure it has 5000 plus on the clock - mine has nearly 9000 and it is still getting better by the week.

Also what kind of driving do you do? If most of it is around town [i.e. short, "from cold" journeys], I'd go for the petrol. If it is longer motorway trips etc not much different.

I ordered my new Octavia about 1 month ago, and prior to this I drove 3 of the engines. They were the 1.6MPI, 1.6 FSI and 1.9TDI.

I did not try the 2.0 TDI as cars are very expensive here in Norway and the 2.0TDI is about 4.500pounds over the 1.9TDI.

The MPI felt OK in an empty estate, certainly not a VRS but it felt OK. I am sure it will struggle abitt when the boot is not empty though.

The 1.6 FSI was a tip-tronic but it felt slightly more powerful than the MPI. This must the the most controversial engine ever to come from VAG. Some praise it, others hate it. Seems that those who own it are satisfied with it, while those who don`t are very critical of it. Most of the motorpress find this engine a good match for the Octavia though, but my guess is that it needs some mileage on it to loosen up.

I went for the 1.9TDI after a test drive for several reasons, and am very happy that I did. It is not the most sophisticated diesel around, but it`s a well proven and solid one. Not having been a diesel driver before, I was surprised by the torque and the immediate response which the petrol versions did not have.

The noise level is no issue when sitting in the car, slightly more vibrations and noise when starting it, but it goes away when driving. Outside you hear it`s a diesel though.

Another good reason for choosing the diesel is the resale value as here in Norway estates compared with a diesel are very popular these days.

Add that most of the motor press has praised the Octavia estate with this engine will definately helt it`s value.

One test even said that they`d take the 1.9TDI DSG L&K over a 2.0 Elegance any day as they were so impressed by it.

My advice is that if you don`t use the car that much, nor do you load the boot or backseat, the 1.6FSi will probably be a good choice.

If you want some more "action" and power and an engine that really suits the car very well, the 1.9 TDI is probably the best choice.

Where I live, it`s definately the best combination with the Octavia as far as value and resale value goes, and even though it`s slower than the 2.0TDi, it`s definately faster than the 1.6FSI no matter what Skoda quotes in their official numbers.

I can`t wait to get mine, will be built in week 24 so mid-July it should be here!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

i drove a golf with the 2.0 TDi engine a while ago, and f**k me its got some poke.:eek:

must say i havent driven a octy diesel, but the vRS is great. not sure i am convinced about the TDi vRS coming, given the way the 140hp delivers its power (its not in a "linear fashion") i think the 170hp version could be a handful, and a tyre shredder!

but thats just my opinion.

Have the 1.8T in my Octavia.Fine but I prefer driving the wife's Fabia 1.9tdi vRS (130)

Had the 1.9 tdi octavia as a hire car.Think it is 105bhp.Didn't enjoy the drive.

• 2 months later...

I have the same 2.0 and like it very much also but find you have to stir the gears to get it going, especially with passengers and up a hill. Once it's on revs it feels very potent. I think it could use another 20 bhp

1.6 fsi is gutless and so slow you loose the will to live .......1.9tdi not bad, does what it is supposed to do and goes reasonably well, both the manual and the dsg are about equal ......2.0tdi 140 ...whole different ballgame plenty of go, smooth and well manered engine....sorry but go for the 2.0tdi everytime ...if money is an issue the 1.9tdi is a close ish second

• 10 months later...

the 1.9's get better with mileage, drove a 1.9tdi today with 8K on the clock, it was slow, due to the engine being so tight, test drove my Dad's earlier in the day same engine, a different drive altogether, it was free revving, torquey and has done around 25K, and very eager, came back from Cannock, sat at 70 ish on the mway, computer was showing 60-61 mpg.

1.6 fsi is gutless and so slow you loose the will to live .......

chum you must have driven a different 1.6fsi than i, suppose that's what the gearbox is for (just think, extending a petrol past 3000prm)?

just a tongue-in-cheek thought.

Quick comment - (2.0FSI) just came back round M25/M23 at steady something plus a bit more - car felt like it was only doing a sedate 40mph - computer was showing 41.1 mpg!!