Subwoofer solution in Superb iV (hybrid) with Canton

Dear gents,

After months of researching today I decided to open an account here and share with you my findings.

Having 2 Octys with Canton, One 5E3 and one NX3 VRS and both sounding as crap I decided to add an AM subwoofer.

For all the members and other parties interested in this, the adapter HELIX AAC.3 HP is able to bypass the Canton protection and provide both a signal and a Remote signal. So, to add an aftermarket subwoofer to any Canton system on Skodas, use the adapter but choose the HP one. It is literally plug and play with no issues.

Now, after adding the JBL BassPro Hub and the adapter the bass was not so punchy and on high level peaking and sounding like crap regardrless of the focus Front, Driver etc it just didn't sound right.

This evening I decided to switch the polarity used to input the Hi-Low adapter as described here using the aftermarket plugs or pin switch.

I can state, not say, that Yes, the polarity in ALL of the Skoda Canton system is reversed at the subwoofer output and regardless of keeping the original 8X8Ohm sub or placing an after-market adapter and sub, reverse the pins, just put + to where - should be and you will be amazed.

The bass is now clear, punchy, deep and no clipping in the AM Subwoofer.

Given that is very hard to find and test this kind of info about polarity and Hi-Low adapters that can trick the Can protection I really hope that for future searchers this info will be usefull.

Best Regards,

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

the reversed polarity is not nesessarily a common problem with Canton, it is even more a tool to adjust the phase. So when you replace the OEM sub with a custom one which hast different characteristica, is probably a closed box and on the different position, you may have better addition if you flip the polarity. You should always make measurements to analyze the frequency response.

I personally know the Superb 3 non iV with Canton and there ist no issue, also in new Octavia nx there is no cancellation, but the sub punches at 60hz and does not play below 35hz.

@spacelord I added the Helix in my NX3 Vrs and the sub clipped and sounded crappy. After 2,1,3,4 we are and business and a total swift in bass and sound quality.

Also I inverted my wife's 5E3 sub and also the game changed. So, from my opinion, all Octavia Cantons are screwed from factory.

Indeed, if I moved the gain 7% with the OEM pinout, and above 15% on the bass eq the sub was cutting/clipping also with no <60Hz output.

Sadly I haven't saved any measurements. If I'll get the chance I will try to redo but given that I wraped everyting in textile tape I might be to lazy to disassemble :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, I thought Superb iV doesn't have Canton .  I bought a 2020 Superb iV (I should have the car delivered in 3 days) and wanted to add some aftermarket front  speakers and an aftermarket sub. What do you guys recomend?

It depends on the model year. the 2020 Superb iV does have Canton as option or part of the trim line.

If you don't have it - your choices are wide. I'd recommend to take a DSP amplifier and a sub first.

If you have canton, you are pretty much screwed. There are ways, but it will be expensive.

Do you have the amplifier under the seat? drivers or passengers

If yes, then it is a sound system, canton without a subwoofer. you could add an amp with AM sub, but you need to find the appropriate connector if you don't want to cut wires.

If there is no amplifier, you could go for options available for octavia NX. Like Helix Match or similar. Unfortunately the spare tire sub is not an option, you'll have to make your own enclosure fitting the space under the boot cover.

for example