Steering wheel question

Looking to get a newer cleaner steering wheel for my 2012 monte carlo. Found one from a newer model without an airbag. Would I have to get the airbag coded to the car or are they plug and play being from another skoda?

See pic for new wheel.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20220429-215754_eBay.jpg

11 hours ago, fabia_simon said:

Looking to get a newer cleaner steering wheel for my 2012 monte carlo. Found one from a newer model without an airbag. Would I have to get the airbag coded to the car or are they plug and play being from another skoda?

What, exactly, are you planning to do here? I can think of several possibilities and don't want to waste time on the wrong one(s).

All fabia airbags, including up to skoda fabia mk4, look oddly identical. Taking the airbag out and trying it on the new steering wheel is a 15 minute job, just remember not to reconnect battery until airbag is back in place and connected to car, or it will pop up a light on the dash that does not go away.

Try and report back. Looking for such an upgrade myself too

12 hours ago, KenONeill said:

What, exactly, are you planning to do here? I can think of several possibilities and don't want to waste time on the wrong one(s).

As I said in my original post, I want to have a cleaner steering wheel. The 2012 monte carlo has a half leather steering wheel, the bottom half where my legs rub the wheel every time I get in and out has worn quite badly and looks tatty. The 2013 onwards fabia had a full leather wheel so is much harder wearing. Plus it looks a better wheel overall. I just wanted to know if the airbag is compatible with the wheel or would I need a new one that is for the new steering wheel.

it needs to be the same shape.

Your monte carlo is most likely a pre- face lift model, so will have a diff shape steering wheel / airbag. pretty sure your going to have to source an airbag from this age / type of steering wheel.

I would assume your steering wheel looks like below..........

airbag.jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer

8 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

it needs to be the same shape.

Your monte carlo is most likely a pre- face lift model, so will have a diff shape steering wheel / airbag. pretty sure your going to have to source an airbag from this age / type of steering wheel.

I would assume your steering wheel looks like below..........

airbag.jpg

Yes, this is what mine is currently. I was under the assumption that I was going to need a different airbag anyway, just needed confirmation. The face-lift model from 2013 onwards has a far better looking wheel.

I needed some info on wether the air bags are coded to each car or if I could just plug and play. 

12 hours ago, fabia_simon said:

The 2012 monte carlo has a half leather steering wheel, the bottom half where my legs rub the wheel every time I get in and out has worn quite badly and looks tatty. The 2013 onwards fabia had a full leather wheel so is much harder wearing.

As I thought, you need to have the physical shape airbag unit required for the "new" steering wheel. I have no experience of airbag encoding so can't advise you there.

I can make an alternative suggestion though, that you get an all leather steering glove to cover the rim of your old wheel (been there, done that, works nicely).

• 2 weeks later...