Need a used A6-sized estate (or decent MPV) that won't cost me A6 money to run!

Hi guys,

I currently drive a 2007 A4  Avant. (Former Octavia 4x4 owner... I loved that car 🥲). I'll be getting rid of the A4 at some point soon and I need both a bigger boot and better leg room in the back seats. I test drove a 2006 A6 Avant last year and absolutely loved the amount of space in the boot and cabin but ultimately I can't afford to run an A6.

With a budget of up to £5k, what's my best bet for bigger boot + cabin space? I've been looking at V70s but heard they're not particularly cheap to run (and the interiors don't look particulary great... Did volvo only offer 'Beige' and 'Extra Beige' as trim options there?!). The other suggestion I've heard is an Insignia Tourer - but I am absolutely not at the stage of life where I'm ready to succumb to being a Vauxhall driver.

I'd also take a people carrier, but again, no Zafiras... What's the Citroen C8/Pug 807 like? (I have a weird, unhealthy love for crap french cars but can't afford an Espace 😂)

Would really welcome any suggestions you've got!

34 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Skoda Superb.

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

To add on that... Skoda Superb estate. :)

Don't give yourself the misery of driving a modern Vauxhall. :D

Hah. I did actually think of this but my research suggests there isn't much more room than an Octavia... but then the Octavia has 140L more than my A4 so maybe that's the way to go anyway!

1 hour ago, alessio92 said:

Hah. I did actually think of this but my research suggests there isn't much more room than an Octavia.

I've been in the back of Octavia 3/4s and of a Superb 3. The Octy has "enough space" in back for my 5'10", but I can stretch out in the Superb and not touch the front seats.

4 hours ago, alessio92 said:

The other suggestion I've heard is an Insignia Tourer - but I am absolutely not at the stage of life where I'm ready to succumb to being a Vauxhall driver.

dont go anywhere near the bloody things. nothing to do with being "a vauxhall driver", they are just appallingly bad and will break your brain and wallet...

• Like 2

the Superb is definitely longer than an octy. its cabin is longer than a passat, which is what its really meant to be...

The luggage space with all the seats up may not be significantly more than the Octavia but once they are folded flat to do some real work you will have considerably more length and volume.

I have gone from Octavia estates to a Yeti and it is apalling by comparison, nice drive though and a superb tow car.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2022 at 19:10, J.R. said:

The luggage space with all the seats up may not be significantly more than the Octavia but once they are folded flat to do some real work you will have considerably more length and volume.

I have gone from Octavia estates to a Yeti and it is apalling by comparison, nice drive though and a superb tow car.

From what's been said, if I could afford a Superb it would be first choice. Will have to keep my eyes open for one. Does the Superb tow ok too?

Thanks for the warning about the Yeti, they appeal but sounds like boot space is nowhere near enough!