Mib3 map update

28 minutes ago, djmartzian said:

Update on ^^:

I've found this tool to check the content of the archive: https://github.com/pschlan/vw-mib3-map-validator

Everything looks good!

Generally, if the file is corrupted during download the zip file won't un zip. That check is on the integrity of the VAG work itself.

I did find this one which suggests if you can't get the offline to work see your dealer:

I'd be interested to know whether the kickstart method works for other people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, djmartzian said:

Hello @Rad1sh,
I don't know if you are aware but Skoda already released a new version of the maps (November 2023).  You can check by VIN number here: https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates/TMBAJ7NX5MY023717
I'm using Windows 10 to download and to prepare the USB stick. In the past, I used to just insert the stick in one of the front USB ports, leave it there in a long trip (more than 1h), put the car into sleep, then check the new map version in Infotainment system.  I also remind you than I don't have an active Subscription for the Sat Nav, basicaly my system is Bolero, same HW and SW spec as Columbus, both MIB3 units.

Can you please check if the the update procedure proposed by your dealer is still working for you with the latest version?

Thank you

Hi

I've just tried to download the latest map, following my earlier guidance, but I'm afraid, like you, I still get the USB ports in engineering mode greyed out. I don't know why it worked for the salesman but not us. He was happy enough to give me the instructions, which seem pretty straightforward, so I don't really understand why we are having these problems. My apologies to anyone who may have hoped my instructions would lead to a successful outcome. Next time I visit my Skoda dealership for servicing etc, I will seek him out again, and try to get to the bottom of the problem. If I learn anything useful I will update this post. Thankfully, though, for the time being I have (relatively) new maps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rad1sh said:

I've just tried to download the latest map, following my earlier guidance, but I'm afraid, like you, I still get the USB ports in engineering mode greyed out.

Hi @Rad1sh,

Have you tried with Ignition ON & Engine OFF

Maybe it worth trying with Engine ON, because I only tried the above.

Br

• Like 1

21 hours ago, djmartzian said:

Hi @Rad1sh,

Have you tried with Ignition ON & Engine OFF

Maybe it worth trying with Engine ON, because I only tried the above.

Br

Yes, tried with engine on and off. I've tried putting the USB stick in before putting the ignition on and after. None of it has made any difference I'm afraid.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Rad1sh said:

Yes, tried with engine on and off. I've tried putting the USB stick in before putting the ignition on and after. None of it has made any difference I'm afraid.

Once the VW release is out in the next period worth trying with that in case there is something defective in that download. You would expect the download that worked with that menu option would still show the drive invitation which you saw when you checked it again after getting home from the dealer to write you piece up earlier.

Like for like test.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It probably emulates the over the air update, assuming you got the off line usb plugged in. If its true the car has to be static and perhaps ignition on / entertainment running. Probably for over the air they want a quality signal so may follow the same process. 

Assume 23.6 will be Skodas latest if you didn't take it from VW ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djmartzian said:

Hello guys,

In this weekend I've been in a journey for ~ 50mins, when I took the opportunity to "install" the latest Sat Nav DataBase from SK. It's version 23.6

Cheers

Congrats on your successful update. Did you simply plug in the USB and drive for 50 mins, or did you need to 'play' with the infotainment settings to initiate the update process?

Cheers.

14 hours ago, Rad1sh said:

Congrats on your successful update. Did you simply plug in the USB and drive for 50 mins, or did you need to 'play' with the infotainment settings to initiate the update process?

Cheers.

Hello,

Just plug-in the USB pen and I drove to the destination using Waze as "Sat Nav". It's all I did.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, djmartzian said:

Hello,

Just plug-in the USB pen and I drove to the destination using Waze as "Sat Nav". It's all I did.

Cheers 

Excellent, thanks, I'll give that a go in a couple of weeks on my next long drive.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi. For my Škoda Scala 2023, Amundsen MIB3, I have the following info directly from Skoda this week.

The map information only loads for the area you are driving in, when you are driving. The vehicle does not actually retain the information, and the information loaded is not a map of the country or continent”.

I think this applies to online updates or usb offline. It takes awhile to get your head round it, but basically it allows for you to see the latest maps you need, without downloading all the lot.

The Skoda shop is offering a one month trial of the online update for free. It also includes the latest roadworks, and gives you speed limit warnings. It is well worth a free trial. You may become addicted! It works for me.

39 minutes ago, Skotastic said:

Hi. For my Škoda Scala 2023, Amundsen MIB3, I have the following info directly from Skoda this week.

The map information only loads for the area you are driving in, when you are driving. The vehicle does not actually retain the information, and the information loaded is not a map of the country or continent”.

I think this applies to online updates or usb offline. It takes awhile to get your head round it, but basically it allows for you to see the latest maps you need, without downloading all the lot.

The Skoda shop is offering a one month trial of the online update for free. It also includes the latest roadworks, and gives you speed limit warnings. It is well worth a free trial. You may become addicted! It works for me.

For the online download where you get the updates over the paid system what people do to force the update is to put a route in across countries, that then forces the system to force an update. That's different to the cost saving update with no subscription. June and November via USB.

That's wrong about it not retaining the maps it does. The fragment files you see in the update files are the geographical zones. The concept is if you put a route into Germany it then starts bringing down those segments. Offline it eventually  does the update off the USB if the file is correctly placed on the drive. It's the criteria to nudge it into action which isn't totally clear. Mib2 high has a roll back position where if the upload if interrupted it will roll back a bit and restarts next time the unit is powered on. Mib3 will be the same with USB.  This is where it's been said about ignition and stationary. Probably apes the over the air one. In the end if you don't mess up the presentation of the files on the USB and it's a valid released file without errors on their side, then it will do it, eventually. The release date changes and that's for the whole of Europe both online and offline update.

Edited by Tell
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 16:31, Rad1sh said:

Excellent, thanks, I'll give that a go in a couple of weeks on my next long drive.

Cheers.

Gave it a go, as promised! Didn't have your luck 'm afraid. Drove for an hour and a half, with USB plugged in. No change in version details by the time I got home. So frustrating. Just grateful that the salesman did actually get an newer version of maps for me, even though they are out of date already! I think I shall resort to Google Maps or similar via Android Auto if I keep the car long enough for my map software to be really old!

Cheers.

I believe mine was triggered by the free one month on-line trial, although the usb was already in place.  I have been impressed by the up-to-date info on road works, closures, queues etc. 

Remember though that the maps will NEVER be fully up-to-date. As the USAF manual used to say “Believe the maps. If there is a discrepancy between the map and the terrain, believe the terrain”. Enough said.

I note on the Seat side one person was having an issue with a firmware update for mib3 that they had bought. It wasn't seeing the drive letters come up which has also been mentioned. I referred them back to who they bought the update from and the suggestion was to use a dual usb drive (sub A) at one end opposite end usb C. The ones you reverse between PC and car. That worked. On map updates Skoda people here advised it's best to use one of them for offline mib3 updates. On another thread when I was researching Skoda experience on mib3 offline map updates.

I'm wondering where this may be the cause of people's issues using adaptors / plug and socket leads, that don't connect all the pins. The other issue is the old Mac one. You must use cleanmydrive once it's copied to the USB if using a Mac. Old mib2 high Mac user chestnut.

40 minutes ago, Tell said:

I note on the Seat side one person was having an issue with a firmware update for mib3 that they had bought. It wasn't seeing the drive letters come up which has also been mentioned. I referred them back to who they bought the update from and the suggestion was to use a dual usb drive (sub A) at one end opposite end usb C. The ones you reverse between PC and car. That worked. On map updates Skoda people here advised it's best to use one of them for offline mib3 updates. On another thread when I was researching Skoda experience on mib3 offline map updates.

I'm wondering where this may be the cause of people's issues using adaptors / plug and socket leads, that don't connect all the pins. The other issue is the old Mac one. You must use cleanmydrive once it's copied to the USB if using a Mac. Old mib2 high Mac user chestnut.

Thanks. Another tip is to get a usb stick with a led on it which flashes when data is moving. Mine would flash for about 30 secs on startup, but then NADA. As I mentioned, I now pay for the online updates (£44 pa) and it works well, incl roadworks etc.

Regarding drive letters, I got the s/w updated by the dealer to 0278 in the summer, but still the usb drive letters do not appear when they should.

if you do much driving, try the 1 month free trial online. Less than £1/week is not bad value.

• Like 1

I'm planning to skip mib3 and mib4. Think about mib5 in 2029/30 🤣. Mib4 is 2024 on some models, like next year.

I can see on EVs putting the heating on via connected services before you get in it has benefits. Seat side they still have problems that over the air mib3 updates that are incompatible to other software in the car, so whilst issues were fixed they get unfixed by Vag with over the air mib3 firmware updates leading to a trip to the dealer to update the offending item. Driving a dumb car seems to have many advantages till the bugs are sorted out.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tell said:

EVs putting the heating on via connected services before you get in it has benefits

also on combustions can be remotely activated heating/vantilation through MyŠkoda app,

when auxiliary heater option has been added :)

another useful things are remotely Unlock/Lock doors

and checking location of the car, what helped me find my car after accident,

when it were transported to unknown direction and Insurance help desk gave me wrong info

p.s.

built in maps has been never used,

i prefer Waze for local, daily routes, and Google Maps for abroad trips

• Like 1