Aftermarket new wheels

Hello. I would like to change my1 16 inch wheels and put 18 inch 225/45/18. But I don't want to put heavy wheels. I am looking for less light weight 18 inch. Anyone any idea?? Also if anyone know the genuine COMET wheel '' 5E3 071 498 FL8'' how many kilos wheight!? Thanks

One Comet Rim shoudl weight acc to Škoda site 13,9kg, which is about 30.644 lb. Original rims are a bit heavier, but I think they are also more robust :)

• 6 months later...

can you post here your aftermarket wheels + spec ?

i ve keep the oem wheel for winter and need to buy new one for summer.

Also i really like the Skoda Gemini from mk3 RS, will they fit on mk4 RS ?

EYJIDW~1.JPG

Edited by zorglub

Skoda offers various wheels 

note Octavia mk 3 and mk 4 are listed as Roman numerals Octavia III and IV

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

Some in UK are trying to go down a size or two, due to poor state of roads, and damage from potholes or kerbs with bigger sizes etc.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

someone get opportunity to compare confort of 18 vs 19" in our octavia ? (mine got DCC)

off course a rather like 19" look but i made a lot of km... (my octavia already got 18 000km from last october)

Edited by zorglub

19 wheel with DLC are completely fine... I do not see any difference in comfort. Right after change I observe worse handling, but it could be also winter tyres, not only 18 vs 19 wheels. But If it would not be so damn expensive (19" tires for Octavia with 19" wheels) i would have 19 also for winter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 14:23, zorglub said:

someone get opportunity to compare confort of 18 vs 19" in our octavia ? (mine got DCC)

off course a rather like 19" look but i made a lot of km... (my octavia already got 18 000km from last october)

I've got both 18" and 19" with DCC - not feeling much difference with the comfort. The look is much better with the 19", though... :)

IMG_20220104_120804.jpg

Edited by Tishout

6 hours ago, SnailUK said:

Maybe it’s me, but my mk4 on 19s is more comfy than my mk3 on 18s.

It's no surprise that an Octavia MK4 on 225/40R19 will be more comfortable than an Octavia MK3 on 225/40R18.

For one thing, 225/40R19 is a more comfortable tyre size than 225/40R18. There's not much in it comfort wise between these two tyre sizes, but factor in that Skoda will have tuned the Octavia MK4's suspension to be more comfortable than the Octavia MK3's suspension.

So the 19's are taking nothing away from the comfort compared to the 18's, but the improved/softened suspension wins the day.

34 minutes ago, Carlston said:

It's no surprise that an Octavia MK4 on 225/40R19 will be more comfortable than an Octavia MK3 on 225/40R18.

For one thing, 225/40R19 is a more comfortable tyre size than 225/40R18. There's not much in it comfort wise between these two tyre sizes, but factor in that Skoda will have tuned the Octavia MK4's suspension to be more comfortable than the Octavia MK3's suspension.

So the 19's are taking nothing away from the comfort compared to the 18's, but the improved/softened suspension wins the day.

I think MK3 is on 225/45/18, not 225/40/18... But I agree on the suspension side of things, especially if you have DCC.

1 hour ago, Tishout said:

I think MK3 is on 225/45/18, not 225/40/18.

Only if someone has fitted oversize tyres.

As you can see below, the Octavia MK4 uses approximately 1" bigger outside diameter tyres. Currently, the Octavia MK4 tyre sizes are quite a bit more expensive than Octavia MK3 tyre sizes, as the tyre sizes Skoda has chosen are not as common, although that could change in the future if more and more cars start using these 1" bigger outside diameter tyres.

Notice that unlike the Octavia MK3, the Octavia MK4 doesn't use 15" tyres.

Octavia MK3 tyre sizes

195/65R15

205/55R16

205/50R17 winter tyre size

225/45R17

225/40R18

225/35R19

Octavia MK4 tyre sizes

205/60R16

205/55R17

225/45R18

225/40R19

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

Ah, sorry, my bad. It was the other way around - as you say, MK4 has fatter tyres. :D

Interesting - didn't know MK3 had 15 inch wheels... and the lower winter tyre is also a bit strange....

Edited by Tishout

12 minutes ago, Tishout said:

Interesting - didn't know MK3 had 15 inch wheels... and the lower winter tyre is also a bit strange....

On the Octavia MK3, the 205/50R17 tyre size is to allow for snow chains to be fitted on the front wheels as 225/45R17 doesn't provide enough clearance.

Full information is shown in the owner's manual.

Edited by Carlston