New SIII owner with a couple of questions.

We have just bought our Red Sportline estate and so far reading through the forus has been very helpful, there are two current queries I have though.

1. The car came with three KESSY keys, I was trying to code Two keys to the car as they had been left to lose battery, the issue came when i tried to 'unlock' the door using the emergency key. None of the three keys (even the one that works as KESSY) seem to unlock the door using the barrel and take a lot of force (read using a pair of pliers) and dont move at all, I'm pretty certain its meant to be an easy turn.  The two non-working KESSY unit keys are the same cut profile but these are different than the Working KESSY key but none of them unlock the door. I'm wondering if all of the emergency kesy are incorrect.    Is there anything that can be done?
  2. I'm trying to update my Infotainment and I have no idea which one I have (I can attach a pic if needed) It has 8 physical buttons either side of the screen and the two wheel buttons. I have seen that I need to look at the SD card in the glovebox but i have no SD card in there so I'm wondering how the navigation works at all.
  3. Does the SD card update the whole unit or just the maps? It needs the full lot doing really and was looking for an OTA update but couldn't see that option anywhere.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to doing a lot with the car!

Obligatory Pic attached.

IMG-20220518-WA0001_edit_220634476048625.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums

1. if youre needing to use pliers, its too much force, either the barrel has seized up or the keys are wrong, chances of 3 wrong keys would be very odd though. Coding the keys back to the car may be a bit more involved and require diagnostic software but i cant be 100% on that.

2. There are 2 different kinds of updates, one for the unit and one for the maps. The maps i understand wanting to update but why the urgency to update the infotainment unit, are you having problems? Your unit will be a MIB2 unit and will have an internal hard drive, only needs a SD card for updates.

3. Definitely no OTA updates for this year of car, that will only be on the 2020 onwards MIB3 units. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply.

1. yeah it did seem excessive tbh but thought id give it a go to see if it woud free it up, ill take it to the dealer.

I was attempting to use the manuals way of recoding (press anykey and then immidiatley use the emergency key to unlock and then it would sync again.

2. No issues with the unit at all, I just figured that after 6 years it had probably had a few tweaks/optimisations here and there.

I'm going to have to get an SD card to update then.. Good to know it has an internal drive, is this HDD or SSD? not That it really matters.

3. Figured as much. I'll get to updating then.

Three KESSY keys? Weird. My 2016 came with two and they both work fine.

I tried the manual door opening when I first got the car and the drivers door opened very easily so perhaps they are not the correct key blades for the car. 

Edited by numskull

26 minutes ago, numskull said:

Three KESSY keys? Weird. My 2016 came with two and they both work fine.

I tried the manual door opening when I first got the car and the drivers door opened very easily so perhaps they are not the correct key blades for the car. 

It's got one with silver/metal trim which is a different key profile from two full black plastic keys with identical profiles. None of which turn the lock. 

I'll try the passengers side and see if there is a tumbler there. 

The other two keys were dead so can't get them to sync now. 

1 hour ago, Calskil said:

It's got one with silver/metal trim which is a different key profile from two full black plastic keys with identical profiles.

That’s the standard with the car, 2 fully black keys and 1 chrome key :) 

id go as far as to say either the keys have been mixed up and one point or they are not the right ones for the car.

Which one works to use the car? And does the key blade work in the door?

59 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

That’s the standard with the car, 2 fully black keys and 1 chrome key :) 

id go as far as to say either the keys have been mixed up and one point or they are not the right ones for the car.

Which one works to use the car? And does the key blade work in the door?

The only one that functions is the chrome. The blade from this does not work. 

The others had dead batteries and they don't work with a new battery as the blades won't unlock to sync. 

You get 2 unless you have KESSY - then you get three.

Try comparing the physical key part from the three and see if they are the same.

Looking at mine there is a number on the blade anyone know if this is the key number?

Edited by IJWS15

5 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

I’ve got KESSY and I have two, and only two were supplied at point of handover, so obviously a sales balls-up. 🙄

19 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

I've not got KESSY and have three!

22 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Try comparing the physical key part from the three and see if they are the same.

Looking at mine there is a number on the blade anyone know if this is the key number?

16 hours ago, numskull said:

I’ve got KESSY and I have two, and only two were supplied at point of handover, so obviously a sales balls-up. 🙄

3 hours ago, D402 said:

2 hours ago, Jonboy984 said:

I've got KESSY and only got two keys. Both chrome.

1 hour ago, Awesam said:

DITTO

Looks like it's hit and miss whether you have two or three keys then whether or not you have KESSY. I wonder if it's based on the model year?

Mines from an Indy (who were excellent BTW), which came to them a trade in to a Ford dealer against a brand new Mustang GT by the first owner Prykey, so I didn’t hesitate to purchase it for £20k and 19k miles in March 2020. John confirmed it only came with two keys, one chrome and one non. 

To avoid any confusion.

all cars when new would of came with 3 keys - 1 chrome key, 2 black keys.

regarding everyone having different keys, there could be many reasons from lost keys, insurance replaced, customer wanted extra keys, seller wanted to go another key for car.

lots of reasons there could be less/more/different styles.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 08:42, D402 said:

Same here. Just got the car today and whatever key I use it say to change key battery. I wouldn't have thought they'd all die at same time.

Follow up for my keys, 

Tuts out, two of the three keys were for a completely different car so I now have two new silver keys under warranty, all coded and kessy working. 

Pleased with that as it would have cost a lot to sort it myself! 

• Like 4