Bump Stops

Hi everyone,

Just been told by the SKODA garage that both the rear Bump Stops of my Superb II (110.000 miles) are broken and need replacing.

What are the bump stops and how critical is a repacement?

Is it a difficult job for access etc.?

Many thanks in advance for any reply!

Kind Regards,

Walterhein

They are foam rubber convoluted sleeves that should sit at the top of the piston rod under the plastic cover and resemble a Michelin man, usually they have degraded dropping down bringing the dust cover with them exposing the piston rod to the elements.

Very cheap to buy, about €6 each and dead easy to fit, 20 minutes per side for a half decent mechanic.

Those are they!

My new ones look as manky as those after only 2 years, I had to think hard to be sure I had in fact changed them and not dreamed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Those are they!

My new ones look as manky as those after only 2 years, I had to think hard to be sure I had in fact changed them and not dreamed it.

They went back on, coil springs landed unexpectedly so cracked on with job and didn’t have spare car to go for some. 
not a massive job if need changing at some point 

The good thing about the Yeti Outdoor with its Tonka toy ride height is that I can see without jacking up or even bending down the condition of all 4 springs, dampers and bump stops, I can even see the paint coding on the springs.

I cant actually see the part that has failed though, one of the cheapo strut mount bearing plates that I only fitted a few months ago but there is no doubt that it has failed though, the noise and you can see the jerking motion if looking down at the central nut when turning the wheel.

Hi Snapper1725 and J.R.,

Thank you for your replies which made clear to me what they are and the purpose served.

I am not geared out to change them myself, so a SKODA garage will change both in the rear!

Best wishes,

Walterhein

• Like 1