Thoughts on this VRS

Can i get people's thoughts on this VRS please?

Have spoke to the dealer, sounds a good car, history, clean, just had oil and filters done along with DSG service. new discs and pads all round and the wheels are in being refurbed (in black).

But, does the car look lowered to anyone else?  There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of room in the wheel arch?  Ideally i want something standard.  Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205115598921?advert-type=dealer-stock&advertising-location=at_cars&advertising-location=at_profile_cars&fromDealerSearchResults=%2Fretailer%2Fstock%3Fsort%3Dprice-asc%26page%3D1%26dealer%3D10011937%26onesearchad%3DUsed%26onesearchad%3DNearly%20New%26onesearchad%3DNew%26advertising-location%3Dat_cars%26advertising-location%3Dat_profile_cars&dpp=10011937&sort=price-asc&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

• Like 1

hmmm - plot thickens....the dealership selling the car rang the garage used to carry out the brake disc/pad replacement and asked about the suspension and they said they didn't think it had been modified and was original.  If that is the case it does look very low compared to others.

That's definitely been lowered mate.

It also seems a tad expensive for a 50k mile 2016.

See if you can get the reg so we can check the history.

Remember: If it's too good to be true, it probably is...

Looks lowered to me, also has Maxton rear spoiler cap, the picture of the wheel looks to have a spacer on, vrs wheel centre caps, red and green stripe on front grill, debadged rear, probably enthusiast owned, may have even been member on here, or try one of the facebook vrs owners group for more history.

16 minutes ago, andy68 said:

Looks lowered to me, also has Maxton rear spoiler cap, the picture of the wheel looks to have a spacer on, vrs wheel centre caps, red and green stripe on front grill, debadged rear, probably enthusiast owned, may have even been member on here, or try one of the facebook vrs owners group for more history.

Thanks for pointing all that out - think i will give this one a miss.  I have enquired about the second one i put a link to.  He said he has someone looking at it today, so will let me know if it sells or not.

second one i linked to has just sold.  Guy rung me back and said the person who bought it was interested in a white one he had found, but was modified and lowered - so sounds like me and the other buyer have been looking at the exact same first car which isn't for either of us.

My advice is that you can always refit standard springs or ask the garage to do it as part of the deal.

Clearly that car has been looked after by its condition so the fact it has been lowered would not put me off as it can be reversed easily.

It is also very well specced.

I wouldn't be too put off, but if I'd put springs on I'd keep some receipt for at least fitting in the service history. I've seen it after someone (possibly you) put it up on a Facebook group to ask about previous owners. Very tidy looking car though and could retrofit Eibach Pro Springs which would drop it only a small bit over standard.

Thanks all - yes that was me that asked about it on the facebook group.  Someone was asking for the reg (as you can't see it in the photos) but i didn't know if i should be posting the reg on facebook so haven't done yet.

I just really don't want it lowered at all - i have a family (with 2 children) which means a LOT of stuff in the boot on days out, and don't want to risk the car becoming so low with a boot full of stuff that it starts to scrub, that would drive me potty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

Thanks all - yes that was me that asked about it on the facebook group.  Someone was asking for the reg (as you can't see it in the photos) but i didn't know if i should be posting the reg on facebook so haven't done yet.

I just really don't want it lowered at all - i have a family (with 2 children) which means a LOT of stuff in the boot on days out, and don't want to risk the car becoming so low with a boot full of stuff that it starts to scrub, that would drive me potty.

Makes sense. I've had low cars before and all they do is rub and scrape. That is quite low compared to standard too, Id almost think its on coilovers but the garage has confirmed it isn't.

This is mine and with 235 instead of 225 profile tyres. I'd want a very small drop to keep it usable but only subtle which is why I think I'll go for Eibach Pro, 10mm rear and 20mm front. 

I wish you the best hunting around though. If you are looking up to 16k they are coming up regularly.

20220613_103832.jpg

Edited by Dooge

3 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

Same here as I have a 3yr old and a son on the way in August. I am fitting Eibach Pro Springs along with Bilstein B4 dampers. From all reports the Eibachs are less fidgety than the standard springs and only a very slight drop. Plus the front o/s spring paint has split and will no doubt lead to a snapped spring from rust at some point.

Srandard springs are reallt cheap and easy enough to refit. If you genuinely like car then I would haggle with the garage. 

It took me 6 months to find mine and the winter pack was one of the features I wanted. Good luck with your search 👍

the guy has shown me photos of the car with newly refurbed black wheels - looks a lot nicer than with the rent tint.

I mentioned i thought it looked lowered, which he wasn't too convinced by - so i showed him some photos of other VRS's (some with the same 19" wheels as well) and they all look a lot higher in ride height, and so he is now coming round to my way of thinking. he is going to get the garage to take a look and see what is what.

he has offered to put standard springs/what ever else it needs suspension wise to get it back to standard, but i said to him we then might open up a can of worms and find a load of other bits that have been modified.  He said he will get his garage to look at it and come back to me and we can discuss further then.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 13:05, sheriffwoody said:

Have spoke to the dealer, sounds a good car, history, clean, just had oil and filters done along with DSG service. new discs and pads all round and the wheels are in being refurbed (in black).

But, does the car look lowered to anyone else?  There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of room in the wheel arch?  Ideally i want something standard.  Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205115598921?advert-type=dealer-stock&advertising-location=at_cars&advertising-location=at_profile_cars&fromDealerSearchResults=%2Fretailer%2Fstock%3Fsort%3Dprice-asc%26page%3D1%26dealer%3D10011937%26onesearchad%3DUsed%26onesearchad%3DNearly%20New%26onesearchad%3DNew%26advertising-location%3Dat_cars%26advertising-location%3Dat_profile_cars&dpp=10011937&sort=price-asc&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

Oh yeah, that's been lowered.

Also it looks like those wheels are larger than 19", though it says 18" in the advert.

I'd also guess it's ben re-mapped/chipped too, but that's because it would seem weird to me to lower it and not remap it, but maybe that's just me.

On 10/06/2022 at 21:27, sheriffwoody said:

£17K for an 8-year old car seems ridiculously over-priced to me.

EDIT: That said, it is low-mileage for its age and vRS prices are greatly buoyed by low mileage, but it's still an 8 year-old car.

I remember shopping around, and some of the questions I asked myself when looking at a car were:

"Does this car give me <£cost-to-change> additional value over the car I already have?".

"Where is the <£cost-to-change> value in this car? Is this car <£cost-to-change> better than my car?"

In fairness, those questions damn near stopped me buying another car at all. :D

Edited by EnterName

20 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Same here as I have a 3yr old and a son on the way in August. I am fitting Eibach Pro Springs along with Bilstein B4 dampers. From all reports the Eibachs are less fidgety than the standard springs and only a very slight drop. Plus the front o/s spring paint has split and will no doubt lead to a snapped spring from rust at some point.

Srandard springs are reallt cheap and easy enough to refit. If you genuinely like car then I would haggle with the garage. 

It took me 6 months to find mine and the winter pack was one of the features I wanted. Good luck with your search 👍

Having had Bilstein B4s and Eibach Pro Springs on other cars I am very interested to see what you think on the VRS. I'm on 83k now and for an 8 year car the suspension is probably past its best. I was always impressed at B4s and the less crashy nature of Eibachs so I would go down that route again.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 13:05, sheriffwoody said:

Vehicle Information

Reg: VR55OAK

Make: Skoda

Model: Octavia Vrs Tsi S-A

Colour: White

Vehicle Type: Car

Body Style: Hatchback

Fuel Type: Petrol

Engine Size: 1984cc

BHP: 217 BHP

Top Speed: 152 MPH

0-60 MPH: 6.90 Secs