2022 crazy used market…

ColinD

• Administrators

I think we all know now is a crazy market in the car industry. 

Seemingly not enough cars to sell, yet used lots well stocked.

I was seriously tempted, for an impulsive buyer I was in the showroom ;) … danger!

So got a valuation for my superb ‘19 … 

4k less than a car 2years older with as many miles of a lower spec on the forecourt, plus Superb > Octavia.  The webuyanycar offer on the city was 7k lower than windshield… 7k… 

I know there needs to be a profit, but are they having a laugh?  I cannot square the deal at the moment.

The next nearest comparison is my sportline 4x4 272ps to a L&K 190PS diesel, comparable mileage & age… 10k difference. Pretty sure the l&k wasn’t 10k more when I was shopping three years ago... and scarcity… so few 272 superbs at all, ever :)

It seems diesel still has a higher price, I’d of thought it might of taken a bit of a hit, not as desirable, but equally what I was looking at… diesel estate or mid van… still can’t quite see a suv outside, small or not.

Crazy…

Edited by ColinD

• ColinD changed the title to 2022 crazy used market…

What do the online price-checkers say?

I've found this site to be useful. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

TBH, I usually use it to see what a particular car was, but the prices on HJ seem to tie up with the actual market prices pretty well, even if they don't give an accurate value of what a particular car is actually worth, they do reveal what they're being bought/sold for at that time.

• Administrators

They value offered was about right, on bare metal ignoring all else. Eg my options are worth zero, theirs are worth 6k type of value. It’s the massive overage on approved used thats crazy :)

Renault offered way more, it’s all about the cost to change of course and oddly I’m not necessarily after a newer model. But I’m dam sure I’m not handing the keys over for an older car and money.

I use the valuation tools to get a value on the plate I’m thinking of. Basis that’s what it’s worth a week later if I had to distress sell it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

used market is nuts. 

my late built mk2 octy is currently "worth" about a €1000 more than what i paid for it in 2019. problem is everything used is also worth more now, so i still cant afford to change it. its not just cars though,

profiteering is going to kill everything soon though and we are gonna have a major recession. eg - i saw that someone had their house up for rent during the irish open this week for 15k!

they obviously didnt get it and so got nothing other than a bill to pay for their own holiday abroad which they thought would be covered by the killing theyd make for the golf. result their spending power just got a kick in the nutz which will have other knock effects into the near future.

Edited by mac11irl
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ColinD said:

it’s all about the cost to change of course

This was a real deal-breaker for me on several cars. I always asked myself "Am I getting £n000 extra value in the new car?" The answer was usually no.

Eventually I just had to accept the fact I fancied a change and was wasting money on a whim.

The benefit of being such a tight git was that it gave me an extra couple of years to save up and so I got a Mk3FL instead of a late MK2 or very early high-mileage Mk3.

Oddly enough, I recently checked the price of a car I had looked at in 2018.

The advert is from July 2018 and the car had done about 30k miles IIRC. It was a VERY nice example, but the sales lady really wound me up by trying to add on a few hundred quid in "dealer charges" when we went to do the deal, and I got cold feet and walked. But I digress...

The price check was from Saturday 18th June 2022, and I bumped up the mileage to 60K miles.

Four years and 30K miles extra on the clock and the price has dropped barely a grand?

Bonkers!

Octavia.JPG

Blackline in 2022.PNG

Edited by EnterName

11 hours ago, FUBAR said:

My last Mk3 PFL Octy vRS (63 plate), bought it in May 2020 with 41K miles full Skoda history for £9250 private sale (of the century!). Sold to a car buying service in Feb 2022 with 51K miles for £13,750 ( £250 lower than WBAC website offer, but no quibble collected from home). It ended up in a Renault / Dacia / Citroen main dealers who put it on the market at £16,995, they then lowered price to £15,something and now still for sale down to £14,358. That will teach them for getting greedy at start, there is no way they didn't pay more than that off car buying ones hahahaha. I am semi tempted to buy it back as they do 2 years free servicing with used cars and warranty etc then what they don't know is that I still have a major service pre-paid for on a service plan for that car. If they drop price again, it could be the perfect crime lol

image.thumb.png.c4512f3c9229d420ddb70662ba47d5c0.png

According to HJ, they're having a laugh.

You got a great deal on your sale! Remind me never to try and sell a car to you. 😋

Comparing the prices of the blue Blackline I looked at, HJ seems to be consistent, if a little clinical.

62-plate vRS TDI with 60K miles = £9050

63-Plate vRS TDI with 51K miles = £10800

A £1750 premium for a car year younger and with 9K less miles seems reasonable to me.

Though on the forecourt, I think the appeal of the MK3 over the MK2 (for me, anyway) would make the MK3 a more desirable car to go for, and might let the real-world price be bumped up a bit from what looks reasonable on paper.

image.thumb.png.9b5d6584880d53188cbfd05ac1cf84fb.png

Edited by EnterName
Added commentary