Cutting wheel arch longer to allow access to change bulbs

I must admit I'm amazed at how bad the S3 access is for xenon bulbs. The S2 was a doodle to charge and so is the wife's yeti. 

We also have a z4 and that has access panels in the wheel arch liners so you can reach in without having to take the wheel off. 

I was wondering if anyone had modified a wheel arch to take a rubber grommet or access panel to make easier? I think a 100mm hole would be all that's needed. 

I agree, an access panel, from the wheel arch, of sort would b so handy.

I don't have the skills to fabricate one unfortunately.

The Rover 75/MGzt had a headlight bulb access panel in the wheel arch lining, but one of mine went missing.  So I self-tapped a suitably shaped piece of alloy in its place, accessible with the wheel on full lock and a stubby screwdriver.

A possible solution?

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

The Rover 75/MGzt had a headlight bulb access panel in the wheel arch lining, but one of mine went missing.  So I self-tapped a suitably shaped piece of alloy in its place, accessible with the wheel on full lock and a stubby screwdriver.

A possible solution?

This is sorta what I was thinking or a push in panel grommet. Hole saw it out and then use the lip to hold it in position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathanio said:

a push in panel grommet. Hole saw it out and then use the lip to hold it in position. 

That would be even better, assuming a large enough grommet is available, and the surface isn’t too curved.  But either would do the job.

Edited by Baxlin

Chrysler pt cruiser has wheel arch panels for bulb access...   Works well.  Maybe grab some access panels from a scrapper and cut the arch liners to suit? 

• Like 1