Power consumption high and too many turns when starting

So lately my car has been displaying this message on the auto start stop information . Power consumption high. When I have the AC running it also says, Engine must be running. I understand this usually points to the battery needing to be replaced, however when I plug diagnostic in on a running car the system shows 13V. I will check physically using a voltmeter but I think it is supposed to be 14? Also when the car has been off for a while say over night or 1/2 days it takes almost 3-4 seconds

I want to make sure its the battery and not the alternator that might be causing problems. How can I test the alternator to see if it is working correctly? I think I am on the right track here but open to advice.

If you have still original battery then most probably it is nearing the end of its life.

I had recently similar symptoms and one day the 6+ years old battery was died. After replacement all OK.

Engine must indeed be running for the aircon to work, that message is correct.

What electrical load is on the battery and alternator when you get the message? Lights, heater blower, aircon, heated rear screen, seats etc?

The latter 2 unlikely as you say 'recently'

When you say what electrical load on "battery and alternator" I think you just mean what load because I assumed the alternator would naturally just take over after the car starts. In terms of load, Nothing really apart from the columbus and maybe the fan (most of the time its off in the beginning anyway. I also have a dashcam running but it has this message with it running or not.

Alternators on recent cars with start/stop are harder to check functionally, as they have their output voltage controlled by the battery management module, rather than locally.

So the voltage may vary considerably depending on how much juice the 'management' is requesting from one minute to the next.

Most likely the battery is feeling its age.

• Like 1

The energy recuperation system on these micro-hybrids tries to maximise battery charging on overrun or braking, meaning that the alternator will not usually charge the battery to more than 60-75%. One thing to watch - you say you have dash cam, does this remain on when parked?

As Viking says, at 6 years, it is possible that battery is starting to fail.

A battery condition test after a full recharge should give some indication is this is the case.  EFB and AGM batteries require around 14.6 VDC to charge.   

Edited by Warrior193
added note.

So I checked it using an actual voltmeter. Doesn't help that it's extremely warm here right now so the car first 2 days started as per normal 2-3 turns.

Before start-> after start

12.14 -> 14.05

Took 3-4

12.18 -> 13.26

Took 5-6

12.04 -> 14.30

Took about 12 turns to start

On all 3 occasions, it says power consumption is high and start stop is non existent now. Just comes up with an A crossed out.

Just wondering if it may be worth resetting the battery, as if I have installed a new one? Or not a good idea.?

Edited by mfizz