Fishing wagon

Hi all, first post here after my introduction. My old Meriva is dying and although it has served me it has been far from Ideal. I bought it in lockdown when my Pug 307 developed an incurable fault for the princely sum of £400. It has done well and got me to work etc but it has always been too small. I'm a very keen angler, getting all my gear in the Meriva has always been nigh on impossible and now the Mrs is coming fishing too there is no way in hell I can get it all in nor will the old steed take the strain as the clutch is starting to fail.

Time to change!

I have a 20k + budget but there are specific needs. This is where the wealth of knowledge from you chaps comes in. 

My rod holdall is 197cm long and contains the best part of 2 grands worth of rods and reels. In the Meriva it protrudes in between the front seats and pretty much goes over the hand brake making town journeys a pain. There is my first requirement. A bootspace long enough to hold it. 197cm from boot to center console. The second requirement is fold flat seats (rear passenger). Now I understand that the Octavia has removeable benches as my old Pug did that allows for the back supports to fully fold flat? Does the Superb have the same setup or indeed does the Octavia do this? Does anyone know off hand how long either vehicles bootspace is for said 197cm?

You might yell "get a van", I have a van but taking out all the tools etc on a weekly basis is just a PITA... Plus the Mrs would like a little more comfort and not be showered in detritus at every turn I take.

I don't need a VRS just a good mile muncher with good MPG that is reliable and that is why SKODA fits the bill in essence, I just hope either the Octavia or Superb can deliver... Oh musgt be a manual GB, old school here!

Cheers all, hope you can proffer some advice?

Munchy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MunchMyStump said:

@annyoyingPentium

How does the Scout differ from the regular Octavia? Please excuse my ignorance. 

Hi Munch, welcome to the forum. Scout has AWD and increased ground clearance. 

• Like 2

Hi, welcome to the Forum, i too am a fisherman (sea) and i carry both my rods 13ft 6 ins long in a rod  holdall plus a 6ft tripod in my 2013 octavia  estate, i push down the ski/armrest and shove them through until resting on the front armrest then shut down the tailgate and push the rods back till they touch the inner tailgate, takes my four rods in equal halves in a daiwa holdall without a problem, hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello munch, a fellow maggotdrowner here.

I have no issue with carp rods, doing as suggested above, with no fouling of the handbrake but if you pack to create a level space the pole holdal should go crossways.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Today, after finding adverts on Auto Trader I saw 3 Superb's advertised at the two branches of AC that are local to me. Off I set in anticipation, tape measure in hand to check if the dimensions would accommodate the fishing gear. At the 1st showroom there were 2 listed. One the 2.0L diesel I'm looking for, the other being a 1.5 TSI that is not, but this isn't a problem as I need the dimensions first. I grabbed a salesman and instead of him firstly checking the location of said cars and getting the keys we set off for a tour of the car lot. Half an hour later I was back in the showroom as neither cars were actually there anymore....

There is one at the other lot though and I'll take you there. Fair enough... That one wasn't there either...

Can someone please do me a huge favour? Please measure from the end of the boot to the drivers (armrests) cabin and tell me if it is 197cm or close enough. A real actual measurement would be ruddy fantastic!

Cheers All

Munchy

Hi Munch, I just measured my Octavia - there is a least 2 metres length available with the forward end of load projecting to a point behind the front face of the seat bolsters (well clear of handbrake) - this is with both front seats fairly well back (long legs)  

The rear seats fold 'almost flat' with the variable floor in raised position - I've not tried removing the base cushions of the rear seats.  

• Thanks 1

@Warrior193 Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me, truly it is appreciated. Given the Superb is somewhat longer, this gives me hope that the rod holdalls will indeed fit. 

I have given up on the fold flat option as the only cars that do have this option are reputedly unreliable (Rifter, Berlingo, Combo Life), or gas guzzlers Vauxhall Insignia et al, and as things have now changed a little with requirements, the Superb is looking like the vehicle to go for.

Yes, the seats do not fold flat, nor does it have a level boot. But I can overcome the non level boot ( build a removeable boot floor), and make adjustments to loading for the fishing gear making sure I use top quality waterproof covers.

Since I posted my first enquiry we have gone and planned a 34 day tour of Europe... 3200+ miles from Leeds to the South of Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, back through Germany to good old Blighty. Oh, the San Bernardino Pass is on the route ;) without the fishing gear I hasten to add! 

The plan is to get a Superb (should all the gear fit), keep it for "Best" and fishing outings, keep the Meriva,  get it sorted out and use that for the daily mucky work jobs.

• Like 1

If it helps, my superb II estate fits 2 peoples fishing gear in easily and this is full carp gear for long france trips, including a 6ft holdall that fits on top of the load close to the roof, only just sticks in between the front 2 seats when pushed back to the boot. Lower down or at an angle it would fit easy

• Like 1

@a666andy Music to my ears 😍. My holdalls are 6'4" long as they need to carry 12' feeder rods (2 piece) in ready rod holdalls. I am looking for the Mk III in either SE-L or SE technology in 2.0L 150 HP. 

I can cope with a little intrusion into the cabin area whereas the Meriva is just a nightmare.

Tight lines Andy and thank you!

Munchy

No problem munchy

I know the superb III has about 100 litres more load space with the seats down so you should be fine.

If you're not filling the car to the brim like i do, that holdall will fit in no problem with no intrusion.

Tight lines 🎣

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, a666andy said:

No problem munchy

I know the superb III has about 100 litres more load space with the seats down so you should be fine.

If you're not filling the car to the brim like i do, that holdall will fit in no problem with no intrusion.

Tight lines 🎣

All fishermen are liars, except you and me - sometimes I'm not so sure about you.  😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

All fishermen are liars, except you and me - sometimes I'm not so sure about you.  😄

I'm certainly no liar

Mine was this big (                                                                                                 🐳                                                                                                                                                               )

• Haha 1