Removing Nokia phone kit - help!

Morning guys,

When I bought my Octy I vRS it had a Nokia phone kit wired into the stereo - nice job too. I don't have a Nokia mobile, tho, so it's not much use. Decided finally to get rid of the cradle at least, so unscrewed it from the plate which is wedged down between the trim, disconnected the inline aerial connection but had to cut through the multi-core cable which links it to the stereo. Mistake, apparently, as now when you switch the stereo on it just says "PHONE" and you can't access radio, CDs, setup menu etc. None of the buttons (including holding TP for 2 secs) do anything at all.

I guess I should have gone into the stereo's menu system first and changed it to phone = off, but it's a bit late now!

Can anyone advise how I can get my music back?! Do I need to access the back of the stereo and disconnect the phone cable (and if so, is it obvious which one this is?), or is there a way of hacking into the setup menu and bypassing the stupid "phone" message.

Thanks a lot.

The cradle will link into a bigger box of tricks and that is in turn maybe wired to your car speakers - or if your lucky there will be a seperate speaker mounted somewhere.

The control box of my nokia kit is mounted behind the ashtray. Remove the trim around edge of the centre console and you should see a number of torx screws holding the metal "dash-mount" bracket in place.

You will need to trace the multi-core cable you chopped back to the control box and unplug it. That should bring back the radio to normal use. After that you may want to unwire the rest of it.

The nokia phone kit consists of 3/4 parts:

- Phone cradle plus two wires comming from it.

- Box of tricks

- Microphone

- Speaker (optional)

If you can disconnect the cradle from the box of tricks then that should do the job, however if you remove it totally then you need to unplug all the wires from the box of tricks and remove that. From the box of tricks are a few (3 I think) wires, usually connected to the harnes of the head unit.

Disconnect these (often done with scotchlocks) and thats it bob's your uncle it's all out. If you have cut the cradle leads that cradle is now useless, however the box of tricks is worth selling as that without leads will still fetch a bit as they can be used with many cradles for nokia phones.

Morning guys' date='

When I bought my Octy I vRS it had a Nokia phone kit wired into the stereo - nice job too. I don't have a Nokia mobile, tho, so it's not much use. Decided finally to get rid of the cradle at least, so unscrewed it from the plate which is wedged down between the trim, disconnected the inline aerial connection but had to cut through the multi-core cable which links it to the stereo. Mistake, apparently, as now when you switch the stereo on it just says "PHONE" and you can't access radio, CDs, setup menu etc. None of the buttons (including holding TP for 2 secs) do anything at all.

I guess I should have gone into the stereo's menu system first and changed it to phone = off, but it's a bit late now!

Can anyone advise how I can get my music back?! Do I need to access the back of the stereo and disconnect the phone cable (and if so, is it obvious which one this is?), or is there a way of hacking into the setup menu and bypassing the stupid "phone" message.

Thanks a lot.[/quote']

Sorry for the trolling, but I don't suppose you want to sell the "cut" nokia car kit do you? ;)

You can still turn the phone mute off - press and hold TP then use the 4 way control to cycle through the menus - I think up and down to go between options and left/right to change the values.

Wolfsbane - I have a CARK91 you can have very cheap if you want.

Thanks for the hints - much appreciated - will have a go at lunchtime and let you know how I get on.

Bengie - cos it was raining out and I was too knackered to do the job properly - how's that for a reason? :-)

Wolfsbane - if I can get the damn thing out then you're welcome to it mate.

You can still turn the phone mute off - press and hold TP then use the 4 way control to cycle through the menus - I think up and down to go between options and left/right to change the values.

Nah that's just it - I tried holding TP down and - just like all the other buttons except on/off - it does nothing. Grr.

Got it out just now - thanks again. Had to take the glove box off and found the box of tricks behind there. Unplugged the cables from it and everything works again now. Can't be bothered to remove the mic or the aerial (which is drilled thru the windscreen anyway), but if anyone wants the box of tricks (Nokia HFU-2) let me know.

You can buy that lead for a not substantial amount, will have a look through my collection of removed ones and see if I have a spare lead of that type. Is it the lead from the box of tricks to the power or the one that is hard wired into the cradle?

I have a CARK-91 kit that I want to sell... anything over £10 + P&P and someone can have it!

Bought it for my Octy, but then changed my phones!

Erm yes quite, don't think you are permitted to drill through the front screen :S

You sure it isn't one of the stick on types?

Anyway If you have the box and the mike and either the other leads or the cradle you will be able to sell it, but the box alone won't be worth much as the parts will cost more than a whole new kit.

hmm. just had a look and there's a cable coming out of the top of the A-pillar which goes to a small black plastic rectangle stuck to the top corner of the inside of the screen. on the outside there is another plastic rectangle stuck in the same place, with a 2" aerial coming out of it. I'd assumed that there was a small hole with a wire going through it ... I suppose they could be doing something clever with inductance, but I'm not convinced...

Sounds just like the ones I fitted with car kits.

Fairly certain that there won't be a hole in your windscreen as that would cause serious issues with the laminated glass if you did it slightly wrong. Also if the glass is toughened it would shatter as soon as you tried to drill it and IIRC windscreens are toughened and laminte glass.