Front Assist not working?

Hi all,
We recently bought a used 2019 Skoda Octavia.
Loving the car, so easy to drive and lots of new features we never had in the old car, like Parking Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control and Front Assist.

It's the Front Assist I'm not sure about. When is it exactly supposed to kick in? I was behind a bus in traffic recently and it had to brake suddenly as did I. But there was no alert or warning from the Front Assist. Its supposed to activate if going over 5mph according to the manual.
It's enabled as far as I can tell and there are no warning signs. I get an alert if I deactivate it. I don't think there's a fault with the Radar as the ACC works fine and when using that the car will adapt its speed and break when needed and will come to a complete stop by its self at traffic lights.
I did once see the distance warning appear on the dash, but only on one occasion.

So I'm just wondering if its only in certain conditions? I know you're not supposed to rely on these safety features but I might as well check if there's a problem or not whilst its still under warranty.

Cheers for any advice.

Maybe there's no alert for emergency braking, it just does it?

Sorry don't have the technology fitted to my car, but perhaps someone does know.

It would appear your radar is working correctly, so that's a plus.

Edit: Seems there is a message.

Screenshot_2022-08-02-10-27-43-813_com.google.android_apps_docs.thumb.jpg.ad8e6b8b1ba5f42668fa8b3991fb3c9e.jpg

Edited by varooom

I got often the warning sign and sound but I might have a different driving style than yours. Never seen it braking itself though hope never will, usually is to late.
  In my experience it appears when your not touching the brake pedal as system thinks you're not paying attention in critical moment  

Thanks for the reply, 

I did wonder if it was to do with not touching the brake or accelerator as that may override what

it would do automatically. But nothing about that in the manual. It just says you need to be going

above 5mph and have traction control enabled.

And yes I have the advanced warning checked in the option.

Cheers.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Front assist will only 'kick in' with full ABS mode if the system thinks you are not producing enough pressure on the brake pedal to avoid any obstruction the front assist radar is seeing. If the system can see that you are already reacting, it will not do anything.

It takes very steady nerves (and judgement) to test it in real conditions! - unless you have some sort of soft, reflective, target to try it out on.

Edited by Warrior193
correction

Hi, Thanks for that.

OK maybe when testing I have hit the bakes before front assist had time to activate.

But like you say I don't really fancy leaving it any longer to test in case it doesn't react.

What confused me is that the Adaptive cruise control will react in plenty of time without

any intervention from me, so I assumed front assist would do the same.

Perhaps I'll test it against a wheelie bin or something :)

Thanks again!

22 hours ago, Penfold2009 said:

Hi, Thanks for that.

OK maybe when testing I have hit the bakes before front assist had time to activate.

But like you say I don't really fancy leaving it any longer to test in case it doesn't react.

What confused me is that the Adaptive cruise control will react in plenty of time without

any intervention from me, so I assumed front assist would do the same.

Perhaps I'll test it against a wheelie bin or something :)

Thanks again!

I don't have ACC - just normal cruise😒 - but I think I'm safe in thinking that the distances for ACC control calculations would be significantly greater than the collision avoidance distance for front assist.  

Edited by Warrior193
add emoticon